IGNORED

Hey you guys like bikes?

Guest zelah

Guest maantecaaa!!!
I want to get a motorcycle

take a motorcycle safety class (if you haven't already). they're surprisingly fun and you learn a lot.

Sounds like a plan. I don't have the balls to ride on the freeway. I was thinking of just riding in town under 40 mph.

Here's the link to get you started:

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

It takes up most of one weekend. You'll be surprised at all of the different kinds of people that go. I made a few friends there including some pretty cute, pretty cool chicks.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
road bike frames are huge, weak, and have a very high standover height. mountain bike frames are much more compact, stiffer and stronger, and can be almost as light as road frames (around 3lbs.).

also, i'd agree that urban commuters don't need suspension, but it's just as easy to build a MTB with a rigid fork as a roadie. also with MTBs you get wider, tougher tires that ride smoother, and stronger wheels that will take a pothole or curb or two without buckling. oh and the ability to use disc brakes, which are much better, especially in the wet.

but yeah road bikes have the ultimate edge on efficiency (weight and skinny tires), and of course they are much more fashionable these days.

i don't mind giving that little bit of efficiency up for the ability to cut through non-paved areas and the general toughness that comes with a MTB-based commuter.

thanks for the advice, now i'm back to square one. this is going to be used for commuting and general riding around in nyc, so maybe i should go this route.

i have never been on a mountain bike that rode smoother than my road bike. and if you get tough enough wheels they can withstand anything. the smaller tires are more prone to flats from potholes and such, but the wider you get the more friction on the road and the more resistance. i dont have much experience with hardcore city riding though

road bike frames are huge, weak, and have a very high standover height. mountain bike frames are much more compact, stiffer and stronger, and can be almost as light as road frames (around 3lbs.).

also, i'd agree that urban commuters don't need suspension, but it's just as easy to build a MTB with a rigid fork as a roadie. also with MTBs you get wider, tougher tires that ride smoother, and stronger wheels that will take a pothole or curb or two without buckling. oh and the ability to use disc brakes, which are much better, especially in the wet.

but yeah road bikes have the ultimate edge on efficiency (weight and skinny tires), and of course they are much more fashionable these days.

i don't mind giving that little bit of efficiency up for the ability to cut through non-paved areas and the general toughness that comes with a MTB-based commuter.

thanks for the advice, now i'm back to square one. this is going to be used for commuting and general riding around in nyc, so maybe i should go this route.

I would still say go for a road bike. Unless you plan on getting hit by a car, there's nothing wrong with a road bike frame. You can always shell out some extra cash and get an ultra tough one. I bought a piece of shit for $75 about a year and a half ago, and it lasted well in Boston, fall through summer. I had to replace a few parts because it was just plain old, but no problems with the frame. And there are quite a few potholes in Boston!

Guest idrn

hey guys, bit of help here - i bough a new inner tube with either a shroeder or vesta ending? it looks a bit like a valve, long and thin. anyway, i went and got an adaptor for my pump, and whilst it screws on perfectly and seems to have all the right dimensions, no air will pass through, total resistance.

are there two types of inner tube er, inputs (with the same dimensions) or is the one ive got just bust?

hey guys, bit of help here - i bough a new inner tube with either a shroeder or vesta ending? it looks a bit like a valve, long and thin. anyway, i went and got an adaptor for my pump, and whilst it screws on perfectly and seems to have all the right dimensions, no air will pass through, total resistance.

are there two types of inner tube er, inputs (with the same dimensions) or is the one ive got just bust?

there's a small nub threaded to the tube nozzle that you need to unscrew (out to the tip of the nozzle) before attaching the pump (I hope that makes sense cuz it's hard to describe with words and I cant find a picture). When you're finished pumping you screw the nub back down the nozzle (lol)

Archived