IGNORED

synthesizer secrets: the donk

qnio

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

thats pretty donky. I think you need to open the LP filter a bit more combined with some resonance to get more of the upper harmonics of the donk.

also compress the fuck out of that bitch.

The blackout crew takes away my ability to be a happy human.

alright this is the best i could do:

I made an instrument chain of 2 operators.

In the first there are 3 sine waves with short decay/no sustain (volume envelope) and an lp24 filter envelope. i played with the "coarse" parameter and the volume level of each sine wave until it sounded right.

In the second operator there are 4 independent waveforms (no FM): 2 square (sq6) waves, one slightly detuned, and 2 triangle waves, again, one slightly detuned. all of them 600ms decay, no sustain for the volume envelope. again, lp24 filter, no envelope this time.

The purpose of the 2nd operator is to add that kind of hollow/detuned sound to the donk, besides the hard metallic kick-ish sound that the 1st operator adds.

it lacks compression though... i don't know shit about that, and it's still too "dark" (i thought it was the filter at first).

c'mon! give it a try! then share the results! there are a lot of other synths (vst or not) to experiment!

with the donk machine.

donkit.mp3

donk + amen = bliss

Deaf people don't need to hear the donk.

The donk is something that's felt.

It's felt from the top of our heads to the tips of our toes and deep within our hearts.

word... indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Panoptimist
i'm sorry, sting

(btw, the video doesn't load ^)

HAHAHAHAHA!

Goddamn this thread is hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest we_kill_soapscum

i really love threads like this. its sort of half an ethnomusicology lesson, half a production chops challenge.

best one i think

alright this is the best i could do:

I made an instrument chain of 2 operators.

In the first there are 3 sine waves with short decay/no sustain (volume envelope) and an lp24 filter envelope. i played with the "coarse" parameter and the volume level of each sine wave until it sounded right.

In the second operator there are 4 independent waveforms (no FM): 2 square (sq6) waves, one slightly detuned, and 2 triangle waves, again, one slightly detuned. all of them 600ms decay, no sustain for the volume envelope. again, lp24 filter, no envelope this time.

The purpose of the 2nd operator is to add that kind of hollow/detuned sound to the donk, besides the hard metallic kick-ish sound that the 1st operator adds.

it lacks compression though... i don't know shit about that, and it's still too "dark" (i thought it was the filter at first).

c'mon! give it a try! then share the results! there are a lot of other synths (vst or not) to experiment!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived