IGNORED

Official website in change shock

stephen1966

Guest greenbank
That's how I feel about boc--it was really nice music to round out the 90's to but it just never really did more than that. This whole forum and any mention of them seems so anachronistic now; might as well have a Jethro Tull subforum--there's just as many hoogly-boogly imagery and flutes.

(sorry guys, I don't mean to piss anybody off. Just one cunt's opinion).

don't get me wrong - i really like a lot of boards tunes, geogaddi is one of the best records i've ever heard. it's just that it's madness to regard them as some sort of epoch-defining life-changing geniuses who should have had all their live sets watched in reverential silence as the most exciting thing to happen in our life times, and that's the vibe i'm getting off some folk posting here. it's just some music! enjoy, but don't take so seriously.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The mailing tube I got from Hexagon Sun with all the BoC video contest prizes (the posters and such) was (of course) turquoise, and had very odd Celtic hexagon stamps on it. It also, interestingly, has a different mailing address.

hardly surprising

a PO box is just that. a mail drop.

lol pwn

maybe they live at the po box kaini mr. smarty pants

The point I was trying to make is it wasn't a PO BOX for the mailing address on the tube.

/reverse pwn

• 3 months later...
Guest streamrunner

wow that's fucking cool. I bet Mike and Marcus folded the t-shirts themselves. They look so sexy.

Guest Synthacat 9

Why don't they run some with the yellow on green though? Seems like if they did that (or made some new shirts!) the nobody would have any reason to buy fakes

I ordered a brown BOC shirt last year from warpmart

it got lost in the mail somewhere, they were not able to send it again since it went out of stock

sad times :(

Guest streamrunner
I think the shirts would look better if the logos were faded and 'distressed' so they look old.

just throw it in the dryer for a couple of hours. ;)

I ordered both of them. Collection++; And I also really like the green one.

Now I wonder what more will be brought to us in the coming weeks/months... merchandise out of the blue without some new material alongside in the near future seems rather unplausible to me.

Guest bitroast
I think the shirts would look better if they used the stretched nuclear explosion logo instead.

Guest uelogy
I think the shirts would look better if they used the stretched nuclear explosion logo instead.

LOL

If the rumours are right and we can expect new material and new merchandise before the years out, who in their right mind would buy a reprint at £20 now when they'll want the new shit within 6 months. I don't. Not one of those anyway. I'd buy the Nuclear Family one maybe cos the image is cool.

P.S Regarding new material, i'm hoping for Geogaddi II, and i think the holocaust scenario fits in nicely. As much as i think Campfire Headphase was fantastic, it just didn't quite pull it off over an hour. I still can't understand why Macquarie Ridge missed out on the full release.

Not many groups in the history of music have skipped from one genre of music to another successfully. Full marks for trying but a combination of Kraftwerk, The Incredible String Band, My Bloody Valentine and Susan Boyle was probably a gamble too far. Well, maybe not so much Kraftwerk.

Guest uelogy

i would like to hear a return to the inviting/yet errie styles of Geogaddi, something about that album is so wrong, which made it so right... TCH was good, although a bit too sugar-coated and bland - needed more insanity i thought...

Personally, I want them to go lo-fi, back to a gritty, core sound that their early works evoked. Cliched at this point? Sure, that could be argued. Can anybody other than Boards do it better though? Nope.

I want music that sounds like I'm standing on a missile test range in 1960 just before the sun comes up over the silo domes.

I want music that sounds like I'm standing on a missile test range in 1960 just before the sun comes up over the silo domes.

YES JOYREX

YES!

P.S Regarding new material, i'm hoping for Geogaddi II, and i think the holocaust scenario fits in nicely.

Unfortunately not gonna happen. http://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop (October 2005 article)

Eén ding wil hij nog over Geogaddi kwijt: 'Het was een project, It's its own thing. Een claustrofobische trip door een wereld vol paranoia en duisternis. Veel mensen verwarren de plaat met de mens. Wij zijn geen doemdenkers.' 'Vergeet niet,' zegt hij even later, 'dat we in de studio zaten toen 9/11 gebeurde. De laatste vijf maanden van Geogaddi vielen samen met de nasleep van 9/11. Het was een angstige tijd, het voelde alsof we terugkeerden naar de Koude Oorlog. Opeens bekroop me weer de angst die ik als kind al gevoeld had voor de atoombom. Ik denk dat iedereen van onze generatie dat gevoel wel kent. We ontkwamen er niet aan, het drukte ons gemoed. De toon werd steeds beklemmender. De sfeer, de samples, het heeft er allemaal mee te maken.' 'Bovendien,' gaat hij verder, 'ging ik zelf door een moeilijke periode. Het was een klotejaar.'

Here Mike is talking about Geogaddi being a project. A claustrofobic trip of paranoia and darkness. Tragically inspired by 9/11 and all of the consequences it had in the first 5 months after the disaster. It also inflicted a sense of fear he had as a child of the nuclear bomb. It was also a shitty period in his life for presumably personal reasons.

To me it's clear there will be no second Geogaddi. Especially when we take into account the next quote:

Ze zijn in onderhandeling over een soundtrack van een grote film. Ze zijn alweer aan een nieuwe Boards Of Canada-plaat begonnen (ze hebben nog een contract voor drie albums bij Warp). Mike: 'De volgende plaat zal voor iedereen als een shock komen. Dit verwacht niemand van ons.' En er zijn zowaar plannen voor wat liveshows met band in het voorjaar. Maar dat gerucht ging drie jaar geleden ook. Sindsdien zwegen ze.

They've got plans for a soundtrack of a big movie. They've started works on a new album. They still got a contract for 3 full albums at Warp. But the most important quote by Mike: "The next album will come as a shock to everyone. No one will expect this froum us." There were also rumblings of live shows with a band.

These rumblings have also been vagueley confirmed by MDG some days ago: http://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_H...on_Sun#12:31_PM

Archived