IGNORED

on rhythm and dancing

Fred McGriff

my wife and i went to a club called vinyl this weekend and as always ended up arguing about dancing and left early. she was like "why arent you dancing" and im like "i need 15 more beers." but what got me upset was she was saying that i dont "feel" music because if i "felt" it my body would be moving. i was actually really liking what they were spinning, trancy house type whathaveyou, and enjoying it well enough whilst drinking my beers. if i get drunk enough i will smile and go out on the floor and dance and generally not care about anything, but until then for whatever reason I'm not compelled to express it through body movement. i can nod my head and nurse a beer and be just fine but it sucks when it's just two of you and the other one wants to go out there and be a club girl but you dont want some faggot housing her either so it just becomes tense.

anyway i was thinking a lot about how different people "feel" music, and whether or not it was possible that someone can be very rhythmic and not be inclined to dancing. for me appreciating music is a way more personal and private matter, not a shared experience with strangers, and i think more extroverted people can't understand this for some reason. i've never once felt the communal aspect of dance without the help of ecstacy, and even then i still wanted to go home and be by myself.

anyway when we got home she played aphex's pwsteal on repeat in the office which was really odd. odd girl sometimes but i guess that's why we are married to each other.

anyway. i think times like that you need to go with a group of people or at least be more sauced. or maybe i'm just lame, whatever.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ex-voto

Well some of my friends never dance, which doesn't mean they can't enjoy the music. I wouldn't bother too much Fred. Standing, listening, drinking beers is also a way of experiencing the music, feeling it.

Personally I always dance because I like expressing the rythm in the music letting it through my flesh and blood. I feel the music moving me (I'm very extrovert, and don't give a damn.)

I usually aim to save money by drinking alot before i even go into the club, so im usually pissed enough to be up for a fat rave straight away.

but i cant imagine club dancing sober atall.

I usually aim to save money by drinking alot before i even go into the club, so im usually pissed enough to be up for a fat rave straight away.

but i cant imagine club dancing sober atall.

same

and i agree with fred

i'm sick of clubby girls telling em to cheer up or lively the fuck up or whatever

Guest Coalbucket PI

I like dancing at raves but a normal club with whatever dance music I can't really be comfortable dancing, but enough beers and I'll do it anyway... probably mostly because if I don't want to drink anymore there is nothing to do besides dance, urinate or fight

Salvadoran women love to dance. It's a fact.

I feel for you. I'm there too. At least she's not trying to get you to take salsa lessons.

lol!

I have more of the opposite problem, although I am in your shoes a lot too (and let me tell you, they stink).

You could try to sneak a shot or two from home or in teh flask if you know dancing's in the night's offing.

But at least acknowledge she has great intentions -- letting loose, having a great time getting down together.

For my part, I wish I could crunk, pop & lock, but alas, look at me. :/

Salvadoran women love to dance. It's a fact.

I feel for you. I'm there too. At least she's not trying to get you to take salsa lessons.

lol it was either Vinyl or Roomba that night.

in hindsight i think i'd rather salsa though. something about having a partner makes it different for me.

i watched "step up 2: the streets" yesterday afternoon for what it's worth.

Guest ex-voto

Hmm, there is a difference between dancing, and actually rocking the shit out of your body.

At any kind of crap club, I just start and dance, to comfort myself. Maybe talk to some girl, just to comfort myself. At a rave or drum n bass party, I dance the shit out of my body, you don't want to get near me then.

Wednesday I took mdma (in a club) (spontaneously) and suddenly I was tripping the sweat all over and started to dance non stop, felt so heavy afterwards... Never danced so enthusiastically I think ;D

I must say alcohol helps me in my movements, I feel a lot more fluid after having 5-10 beers.

My girlfriend loves to go out dancing, and typically I am rather hesitant to join in, but I usually just have a couple of drinks and go for it. I'm not much of a dancer so I stick to a sort of nonchalant shuffle and watch my girl boogie down.

if good DnB is playing i can work it out but the last time i've heard good DnB spun was one of the jenkinson bros before a squarepusher show many years ago. maybe i could find a good DnB night here in Denver, that might be the compromise my wife and i need

Guest ex-voto
My girlfriend loves to go out dancing, and typically I am rather hesitant to join in, but I usually just have a couple of drinks and go for it. I'm not much of a dancer so I stick to a sort of nonchalant shuffle and watch my girl boogie down.

Be careful because I would boogie your girl (just saying hypothetically your girl could be stolen). :angry:

Be careful because I would boogie your girl (just saying hypothetically your girl could be stolen). :angry:

She is very loyal to me so you would probably get told off. Then I would notice and there would be this very awkward moment where I'm obligated to wipe the dancefloor with your face but don't because I value my freedom and don't have any desire to go to jail.

Guest ex-voto

She is very loyal to me so you would probably get told off. Then I would notice and there would be this very awkward moment where I'm obligated to wipe the dancefloor with your face but don't because I value my freedom and don't have any desire to go to jail.

Good boy.

Then again it was just a hypothetical situation.

Maybe I would boogie you trying to wipe the floor, maybe we could invent a new dance.

Guest Franklin
my wife and i would never go to a club, but if we did we would end up arguing about dancing and leave early. she would be like "why arent you dancing" and i would be like "why would i do that?" but what would really get me upset would be her saying that i dont "feel" music because if i "felt" it my body would be moving. i would potentially actually really like what they would spin, trancy house type whathaveyou, and enjoy it well enough whilst drinking my waters. i can nod my head and nurse a water and be just fine but it sucks when it's just two of you and the other one wants to go out there and be a club girl but you dont want some faggot housing her either so it just becomes tense.

anyway i was thinking a lot about how different people "feel" music, and whether or not it was possible that someone can be very rhythmic and not be inclined to dancing. for me appreciating music is a way more personal and private matter, not a shared experience with strangers, and i think more extroverted people can't understand this for some reason. i've never once felt the communal aspect of dance without the help of ecstacy, and even then i still wanted to go home and be by myself.

i'm meeting you halfway fred.

btw i played various music instruments for about 15 years (including guitar, piano, and drums) and am not inclined to dance in the slightest.

What i really want to know is, as a white person, how can I dance my tits off to techno and actually look good while doing it. Like, i do my best, but im aware that even though i feel like im properly grooving out to the beat(when slaughtered), i actually look like a parkinsons sufferer having a fit.

My wife dances better than any other woman i've ever seen in real life. I don't really dance, but when we're out and she decides to cut a rug, she always clears the floor. Makes other girls too self conscious to remain there and they all keep an eye on the guys they came with to make sure none of them try to grind on her. It's happened before when they do and it doesn't really bother me. She usually turns the other way and starts grinding on a table jokingly to make them look stupid.

She doesn't really give me shit about not feeling music, cause I guess being a drummer absolves me from being targeted by that argument. I'd say by the looks of what ppl on here are saying like "as a white person, how can I dance my tits off to techno and actually look good while doing it" you're probably thinking waaaay too much about what you're doing to be able to do it well in the first place. Even if the way you dance looks like it can only be done whilst wearing a giant fanny pack full of meds....at least that's who ya are/what ya do/whatever

Guest Fat Roland

I used to be the first on the dancefloor, but since I started DJing, I won't dance with less than eight pints inside me.

I think I may be dead inside.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

if the place is full and darkish then i can dance quite easily but if its a bar not a club or half empty or too light then no chance. pretty self conscious in the dancing department. but i had some good training, not dance training but a friend of mine didnt drink at all so as soon as we'd get in a club he'd hit the floor. i guess over time i got used to it and followed. a few beers always helps but ecstasy not so much. we went out once and i did it and ended up sat on the speaker all night enjoying what was going on with my eyes and vibrating.

also i like dancing with my wife because you're not on your own like somedumbass. its like someone to hide behind or just hold on and feel their rhythm if yours isnt working so good.

Archived