IGNORED

you guys told me "Arrested Development" was awesome

kokoon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My favourite thing about AD is that they never shove the jokes down your throat. The humour is always there, in copious amounts, provided that you are willing to switch on when watching it.

Kokoon: I think the hard thing is that you can't expect someone to watch an entire series to catch on to all the winding narrative elements and get it. Characters like GOB and Tobias just sold it for me... later on, somewhere in season two I was like "woah" when picking up on all the call-backs; but it was never a case of "that was sooo smart!".

Some favourite moments:

* The whole family doing the chicken dance in Season 3 (except for GOB, awww)

* "Somewhere over the rainbow..... there's another rainbow" (Tobias)

* The Anne insults

...and many more

Guest Space Coyote

I think I watched the first two episodes of season 1 of AD and didn't find it funny enough to continue. However given this thread and having an interest in things David Cross does I will rewatch them and continue further and report back

the exponential humor comment is total truth bullets. the show seems lost and weird when watching random episodes. if you go consecutively it all makes sense and becomes much funnier.

this is definately the greatest show i've ever seen. If you want good reasons to watch it just search up 'Arrested Development Tobias' on Youtube to see the David Cross clips, he's not a really major character but he has a bunch of golden scenes in every episode

Guest zaphod

[zaphod]yeah i don't get this at all. it's certainly clever, but i don't really find it funny. the voice over, the constant music underscoring every little humorous moment. the humor is obvious at times, although michael cera has some nice subtle moments. i don't think you need to "switch on" to watch this, sorry. i was trying to get really into it but holy shit the music, it's so fucking irritating. and the camera swooping around and zooming every time someone says something funny or gives an awkward glance. is this supposed to be a send up of a sitcom? because it's basically just a zany sitcom without a laugh track and with better editing.[/zaphod]

GOB: 52% of the country is single. That's a market that's been dominated by apartment rentals. Let's take some of that market. I call it "Single City."

GOB: It's, like, "Hey, you want to go down to the whirlpool?" "Yeah, I don't have a husband." I call it "Swing City."

GOB: How do we filter out the teases? We don't let them in. This goes for the guys, too. Because sometimes the guys are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in Fuck City!

Archived