IGNORED

you guys told me "Arrested Development" was awesome

kokoon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

delet, thanks.

actually, i really didn't know what i was thinking. in a perfect world, people wouldn't feel offended when someone expressed themselves negatively about a thing they care deeply about. i guess watmm is not exactly a perfect world. and i guess most of the things thrown at me were meant as joke of somekind anyway.

also, i didn't realize THAT many watmmers loved this show. in fact, i was hoping the thread could become a debate about humor, perception of "funny", what makes us different in that aspect...

but, reality is, people get offended easily, can't bash them for that.

by the way (just so there are no wrong understandings) - i consider myself incredibly clever, smart, intelligent. i "get" jokes, but lazy jokes don't make me laugh. clever jokes make me laugh. and it doesn't have anything to do with "american shows", either. i'm just not that easy to get to laugh. maybe i'm just too bitter.

I haven't seen any of this yet but have had it recommended to me by those whose opinions I value so I'm going to get around to it soon. It seems those in this thread who don't like the show haven't been able to articulate their criticism beyond a vague meh which in the light of enthusiasm of the other posters indicates more of a lack of comprehension than any objection to the style of humor.

i really don't think it would be appropriate dissecting the humor in AD. i'm sure people would get even more offended, which i really don't want.

delet, thanks.

actually, i really didn't know what i was thinking. in a perfect world, people wouldn't feel offended when someone expressed themselves negatively about a thing they care deeply about. i guess watmm is not exactly a perfect world.

you're welcome .. plus there's always been an undercurrent of fascism here .. it's like these electronic nerds now they're finally part of a pack can act the part of a bully and forget what it's like to be on the receiving end ..

but you're right .. heh .. it's to be expected .. just human nature .. so there's no point worrying over it ...

Guest Deep Fried Everything

hey guys i was wondering if any of you have seen anthony and the johnsons live? they're coming to chicago in a few weeks and my interest is piqued, i really only started listening to "i am a bird now" a few months back and it's got me really intrigued... but i wonder how they perform live. and the new album?

(i can d/l it and probably will before the show but if its decent would def pick it up)

thanks!

:sorcerer:

Guest Al Hounos

yeah californication is shit. weeds is too. lets talk about trailer park boys. trailer park boys is the best show ever made. it has drama, action, comedy, but it also has some really good lessons about friendship and family.

Guest Al Hounos

btw they just aired an hour-long special back in december called "Say Goodnight To The Bad Guys". also they are planning a sequel to the movie (the movie was, IMO, their only dud. i always tell people to avoid it until they're dedicated fans.)

(the movie was, IMO, their only dud. i always tell people to avoid it until they're dedicated fans.)

agreed. it had a few funny moments but overall it was quite lame

"we run a pretty tight ship around here."

"With a pool table"

"it's a...... gaming ship"

One of my favorite lines of the whole show.

And for the record Lindsay has the best chicken dance.

lol just watched the episode where the bluths try to be nice to rita.

Gob: WE'RE REALLY NICE NOW

fuckin lol

joaquin_phoenix320.jpg

trailer park boys... the basic idea of the guy who's always shirtless is vaguely funny. in that it's funny to see a man without his shirt on.

how many episodes did you watch? i once watched the first 2 episodes and it didn't catch me. then maybe a year later, i re-watched those, and another 3. then i started to dig the humor.

i'm not saying trailer park boys is perfect. after some thinking, i even can't say trailer park boys is better than arrested development. but it makes me laugh, while AD doesn't.

for example, if i've had been growing up in a different enviroment, i'd probably be amused by different things now.

give trailer park boys another shot though, some subtle/clever lols in there.

Archived