IGNORED

i saved someones life on a beautiful saturday afternoon

Meadows and Labyrinths

i had just gotten off my first shift at the restaurant, and decided to stick around and have a meal before my next shift. i was just about to go outside when i caught wind of some commotion and heard the phrase "she's choking". i went to a table where a daughter was trying to talk to her mother who was unresponsive, choking to death on her meal. i started to dial 911 when a coworker informed me that the manager was already doing so. not knowing what else to do, i went back to the table and the daughter and i grabbed the mother and placed her on the floor. i attempted CPR, breathing life into the woman, trying to press it out. after what seemed like 10 minutes, but was probably only a minute or so, she started breathing again, but was still unresponsive. finally a nurse came and helped remove the womans dentures, and finally, a piece of food that was blocking her from getting air. after all that, the woman seemed ok, though still incredibly removed and out of it. i went to the daughter, gave her a hug, told her that her mother was gonna be fine and she cried in my arms and thanked me. finally, the paramedics came and rolled her out.

the whole restaurant stopped to witness this horrible situation, guests and staff alike. i couldn't believe that no one else jumped in to help her. there was a crowd of 30 or so people around me, giving their suggestions or critiques of what i was doing. i was scared, and people were actually telling me that i shouldn't do anything because i wasn't certified in CPR, and sometimes you can make a situation like that worse without knowing exactly what to do. while i don't disagree with that idea, no one should ever just wait for someone else to help someone in need. i believe that if i hadn't helped that woman she might have died that day, so i'm glad i did.

after everything was all wrapped up i took it upon myself to walk in the beautiful weather we had on saturday, and within myself i found a great deal of peace in the life that i've been given.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Coalbucket PI

I thought luke fucking hazard was one of those wattmers who just said bitter sarcastic things, so as such I'm not sure if i believe this

oh yes, there was a bonus amongst the chaos, i almost forgot to mention this:

a girl i'm interested in, who was also working while all this happened, invited me outside for a cigarette after everything settled down. we got to know each other better in a very pleasant setting, outside of the bustle of restaurant work, the sun beating down on us, the wind blowing, having a much needed calming smoke.

that really made my day.

im pretty much the same on the internet as i am in real life. i dont really see a reason to act differently..

the internet gives us an anonymous guise from which we can project strong statements without hesitation or repercussion to others who may take offense. that being said, i was talking more about people like me.

man, you saved a life and you got the girl. you win everything today.

coalbucket - luke is fuzzy and furry! there's nothing unlikeable about him.

Guest Panoptimist

The bystander effect can be disrupted if you make it a point to personally call out a single individual in a crowd of many. Especially if you are in need of help while everyone is standing around in a circle just staring, look someone in the eyes and ask "what are YOU going to do." They won't feel like part of the group any more.

Archived