04. Snookered

05. Of the Mountains

06. Surprise Stefani

07. Wet Wings

08. Woof Woof

09. Slow With Horns / Run for Your Life

10. Baltihorse

11. Get Older

So this has already leaked, and it makes me a little embarrassed that I ever liked this guy. I'm just wondering what watmm thinks etc. This guy is such a hack though I can't stand it.

It's annoyingly retarded... even though I've listened to it twice today. I guess it's like a car accident or people fucking... it's hard to turn away despite how horrible it is.

I really feel like I'm in a cheese-dick cartoon american apparel ad when I'm listening to this.

Guest analogue wings

He's playing here on Friday. I'm considering going, but I suspect I will be surrounded by people dressed like Scooby Doo characters and wearing day-glo sunglasses.

Guest Glass Plate
He's playing here on Friday. I'm considering going, but I suspect I will be surrounded by people dressed like Scooby Doo characters and wearing day-glo sunglasses.

yeah dead on.

It's annoyingly retarded... even though I've listened to it twice today. I guess it's like a car accident or people fucking... it's hard to turn away despite how horrible it is.

I really feel like I'm in a cheese-dick cartoon american apparel ad when I'm listening to this.

lol

lol

:beer:

• 3 months later...
Guest telikan

SHIT SOUNDS FLAT ALWAYS and FOREVER

I watched that Snow Ghost studios minidoc thing on this and authentic plate reverb still doesn't redeem this stuff from being 9-bit party music

Guest Glass Plate

I've given this so many tries and it's just shitty. It's seriously such a failure. He tries to make his previous album style into a more epic form and it completely falls FLAT FLAT FLAT. IN MANY WAYS.

and I agree that studio use was a total waste doesn't even match his composition style.

Guest telikan

yeah, i mean i like his sine wave/function generator compositions because they seem totally introverted and don't try to multiply the simplicity and niceness of it to a crowd-pleasable level, but everything else sounds too manufactured like an e-card generated for sweaty mustachioed partying undergrads, regardless of the composition prowess.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think this album is amazing. I seriously can't understand the hate... I mean... I can understand people not liking it cos that's opinion and that... but it's like 90% of the forum hates it, and it seems way too good to be hated that much.

But I guess I just have to accept it... at least I have friends who like it... so I'm not totally alone :P

Guest Glass Plate

I would say it's because WATMM has good case, but that's not true for a lot of members (see thread with lots of people like bats for lashes) But also, most of the people who like bats for lashses etc. don't come to this part of the forum much so I dunno.

Guest goodwillsidis

psssst

dan's never been into aphex

i'm surprised that someone else is surprised that ppl into exquisite bedroom techno dont like deacon's stuff... there's not really any music that's more relentlessly happy this side of raffi

The main thing that really puzzled me was that... in another thread about Bromst... one of the complaints is that they thing Dan Deacon's music is "faddy"... but I personally can't see anything more "faddy" than dubstep and acid techno... which Dan Deacon veers away from completely, ESPECIALLY on Bromst... I'm not saying the album is groundbreaking, but it sure is nice to hear something like this in a time when dubstep and acid techno are flooding the electronic music market.

Same goes for Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion. And I guess that yeah... I really can't stand music that tries really hard to be dark and moody... I much prefer happier music these days... I guess I'm getting too old for this forum :P

Guest Adjective

i got bored with this one pretty fast

i liked a few songs when it came out, but i liked it less and less as i relistened. and since its dynamics are so crushed, there's no little subtleties for me to discover on the 100th listen. he's now in my car's floor mat cdr graveyard

I would love to hear this live with the 14-piece band.

I love how energetic every track is. It does definitely border on obnoxious, kind of like some Battles tracks.

Guest butane bob

Dan Deacon shouldn't try to write songs.

Bromst disappointed to me because it had comprehensible lyrics.

What about getting his bathing suit on and getting his bass face and other wonderfully ridiculous nonsense? That's waht I loved about his first album.

Bromst made me curl with embarrassment on first listen. I could get to like a few tracks but it's nothing on his first one. Well, his previous one, if you count Porky Pig and the rest of those, probably a combination of the scrapings from his hard drive and a few projects he did for college. I always liked Hey Let's Go For A Ride though :-).

Archived