IGNORED

The Field - Yesterday & Today

Guest beatfanatic

Guest beatfanatic

Just read the following information on pitchforkmedia.

Stockholm, Sweden's the Field, aka Axel Willner, came through with the hypno-ambient album of year with 2007's 9.0'd From Here We Go Sublime. It was a soundtrack to the spit-shined airport of your dreams-- faceless, futuristic, and fuzzy. You could dance to it, sleep to it, or daydream to it; it's a versatile little album.

And now Willner is ready to drop his follow-up, on May 25 in Europe and May 26 in the U.S. via Kompakt. It's titled Yesterday & Today. (He already did "tomorrow," I guess.)

According to a Kompakt's site, the new album is "more organic than its predecessor," which is admittedly not the best description, but that's all they're giving us, I swear. Less vaguely, the record will feature some guests including my favorite drummer alive-- Battles' John Stanier. I'm not sure how Stanier's snare-ripping, sweat-drenched

will work with Willner's gauzy soundscapes, but I'm duly intrigued by the prospect. Expect a lengthy North American tour once the album comes out; we'll pass those dates along as soon as we get them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name

From Here We Go Sublime is amongst my favorite albums ever. I am looking forward to his sophomore album so much! I don't expect Yesterday & Today to be as good as his debut, though.

:boc:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beatfanatic

More information about track list from pitchfork

As we reported last month, Swedish minimal techno whiz Axel Willner, a.k.a. the Field, is set to follow up his glacially beautiful, Pitchfork-beloved 2007 debut album From Here We Go Sublime with Yesterday & Today. Kompakt, Willner's perennially cool and design-minded European label, promises will be "more organic than its predecessor." And you know what that means: Harmonicas! OK, probably not harmonicas.

In any case, Kompakt will release Yesterday & Today on May 25. As we originally reported, the German label was also planning to release it in the U.S. on May 26. But now Willner has a new American label: Anti-, who will partner with Kompakt to release the album on May 19 in the U.S. That means that Willner, already labelmates with Michael Mayer and Rex the Dog, is now also labelmates with Tom Waits and Nick Cave, the latter of whom might even be able to help him out with some mustache-grooming tips.

As for the album itself, Battles drum-walloper John Stanier will guest on the title track, which should be interesting. And judging by the track lengths, Willner is still taking his time to slowly build and unfurl his music. The album is only six songs long, but the shortest one clocks in at just under seven minutes. There's a cover of the Korgis song "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime" on there (previously covered by Beck and Glasvegas) on there. Also, there's a song called "I Have the Moon, You Have the Internet," which is a pretty cold thing to say to somebody.

Willner will tour North America in May and June. Here's the Yesterday & Today tracklist:

01 I Have The Moon, You Have The Internet

02 Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime

03 Leave It

04 Yesterday & Today [feat. John Stanier]

05 The More That I Do

06 Sequenced

Guest Pilcat

oh shit, i loved his battles remix, it's how i discovered him in the first place

new album + collab with cool people, i'm excited.

• 1 month later...

I actually like this track a good amount...its nice to see he was able to take the same structure as "sublime" but add a good amount of atmosphere with more layers... sounds warmer/fuzzier... nice

AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH... AA-AH...

OOOH... OOOH... OOOH... OOOH... OOOH... OOOH... OOOH... OOOH...

Guest zaphod

just got into this, it's very good. although it's also very formulaic and i can see this getting tiresome over the course of his career.

• 2 weeks later...

I just pre-ordered a copy at the music store. This is easily the best album of 2009 so far.

Guest beatfanatic

yeah its amazing

you should also check his first album "from here we go sublime*

Archived