IGNORED

Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li

Joyrex

i really loved braid, so creative and awesome, but alas too much thought was required to complete it. i dont like playing thinking man's video games, because that's not what i'm after when i game. braid would be a classic game to sit around and watch my older brother solve, just like the olden days growing up.

Yeah, I had held off on the game for just that very reason - it's like, I spend all day trying to figure out complex shit, so when I get home and go for the gamin', things better be gettin' blown the fuck up, dunked on, de-limbed with a plasma cutter, fatalitied, or turned to goo pile with A3-21's plasma rifle.

. . . . but then the GF said that I'm too violent so I figured I'd try something more cerebral. . .

Makes me wonder what happens if we ever have kids - JR, how do you manage things with a little 'un? I mean, does the missus get po'ed if you play L4D or anything like that around the kid? edit: you do have a kid right?

I have two kids, a 9 year old daughter, and a 14 year old son. My wife despises video games (although she did like Flower), and for awhile last year her and I butted heads on whether my son should play Call of Duty 4 or not - he wasn't obsessive or anything, but he was caught throwing fits at it when he lost, so we took it away for a bit. The main thing he needed to learn is games are supposed to be fun, and getting mad at them defeats the whole point of playing. It took him a bit, but now he's got it. Since he's matured a bit more now, I have no problems with him playing first person shooters like CoD and Battlefield: Bad Company and his current (soon to be supplanted by Killzone 2 tomorrow) obsession, Resistance 2. He's really good at them, and him and I game together, so I know well what he's seeing and how he reacts to it. He games perhaps 2 hours a day, a bit more on the weekends, but he fills the rest of his time with soccer and watching a bit of TV with me and his sister. I won't let him play games like GTA or Saint's Row due to the way they depict violence and reward thuggery and criminal acts. On the other hand, he likes and plays games like Megaman 9, Street Fighter 4, Flower, Nobi Nobi Boy and helps me with the puzzles on Lumines Supernova.

Yo! This is absolutely fascinating to me - as me and the gf get closer to that stage where we are considering what it'd be like to have kids, this is something I consistently weigh in my mind.

Interestingly, my girl really supports gaming, as she feels a)they are fun - she likes things like Katamari and the various puzzle games on the PS3 but also will play Soul Caliber and b)she thinks that they can build create motor-coordination skills for our future neuroscientists. But, recently we've had this sort of heated discussion over violence in video games - so it makes me wonder whether or not I'd let my kid play FPS.

Sounds like ya'll have found a really good balance of different things so one doesn't override everything else. . . and its cool that you game together so you are involved instead, like so many parents, just throw the controller at them and bail.

Oh, and Flower is pretty badass I have to say - wish the Xbox had more games like that as its one thing truly missing from their catalogue.

@ Obel HOLLA!!!!!!!

Guest assegai
i really loved braid, so creative and awesome, but alas too much thought was required to complete it. i dont like playing thinking man's video games, because that's not what i'm after when i game. braid would be a classic game to sit around and watch my older brother solve, just like the olden days growing up.

Yeah, I had held off on the game for just that very reason - it's like, I spend all day trying to figure out complex shit, so when I get home and go for the gamin', things better be gettin' blown the fuck up, dunked on, de-limbed with a plasma cutter, fatalitied, or turned to goo pile with A3-21's plasma rifle.

. . . . but then the GF said that I'm too violent so I figured I'd try something more cerebral. . .

Makes me wonder what happens if we ever have kids - JR, how do you manage things with a little 'un? I mean, does the missus get po'ed if you play L4D or anything like that around the kid? edit: you do have a kid right?

I have two kids, a 9 year old daughter, and a 14 year old son. My wife despises video games (although she did like Flower), and for awhile last year her and I butted heads on whether my son should play Call of Duty 4 or not - he wasn't obsessive or anything, but he was caught throwing fits at it when he lost, so we took it away for a bit. The main thing he needed to learn is games are supposed to be fun, and getting mad at them defeats the whole point of playing. It took him a bit, but now he's got it. Since he's matured a bit more now, I have no problems with him playing first person shooters like CoD and Battlefield: Bad Company and his current (soon to be supplanted by Killzone 2 tomorrow) obsession, Resistance 2. He's really good at them, and him and I game together, so I know well what he's seeing and how he reacts to it. He games perhaps 2 hours a day, a bit more on the weekends, but he fills the rest of his time with soccer and watching a bit of TV with me and his sister. I won't let him play games like GTA or Saint's Row due to the way they depict violence and reward thuggery and criminal acts. On the other hand, he likes and plays games like Megaman 9, Street Fighter 4, Flower, Nobi Nobi Boy and helps me with the puzzles on Lumines Supernova.

What does your family think about teh IDMz?

Archived