IGNORED

Bioshock 2

Guest Ricky Downtown

Guest awkwardsilence

It's strange. Something about this sequel is intriguing, despite the fact that I didn't really see Bioshock as a game that needed a sequel. I mean, the only thing that needed fixing was the ending, which was ridiculously abrupt and unfulfilling. Other than that, Bioshock was a great experience, perhaps better now when I'm looking back on it in hindsight.

But something's not right about this sequel idea. A different team making the game, the loopy switcheroo of "Big Sisters", and now they're saying the game will have multiplayer.

It's sounding more and more like we have another S.Darko sequel idea here. And the Donnie Darko parallel hits me as a good one, Bioshock seems to be the same kind of "love it or hate it" deal.

I dunno, man. I'm intrigued, sure, but I dunno.

I'm not quite sold on the idea that you play as a Big Daddy - is that for the whole game, or is that just a sequence in the game, or do you become one early on? Also, this whole singular "Big Sister" as a reoccurring adversary sounds a bit ham fisted and cliched...

I'm not quite sold on the idea that you play as a Big Daddy - is that for the whole game, or is that just a sequence in the game, or do you become one early on?

It's only for the multiplayer.

...or am I missing out on something?

Guest awkwardsilence

Could be it's a

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

direct continuation of the first game though. As in, same main character. You became a Big Daddy at the end there sometime remember? That whole protect the girl thing, the training section.

Could be it's a
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
direct continuation of the first game though. As in, same main character. You became a Big Daddy at the end there sometime remember? That whole protect the girl thing, the training section.

No, they say you play a different character sent to Rapture to investigate disappearances...

Guest assegai

I played and beat the game. I just read the plot summary on wiki, and still don't think I've quite grasped the story of the first game.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JohnTqs

that gameplay is killer, but my concern is for the story and not the action. The plot, characters, and setting is what made me fall in love with Bioshock. Obviously the setting will remain the same, but if there is no good story/no character development this sequel will suck. Honestly, if Bioshock had been a book i would have read it instead, i don't care about the plasmids/weapons. although there is definitely an atmosphere that you get from playing the game that a bioshock book could never have. Plot/Characters/Setting/Atmosphere

I had a problem with how there was no death penalty in the game, which rendered all the "super dynamic gameplay problem solving choices" completely obsolete.

Once I figured it out about 30 minutes in, it was like "Oh ok, so I can just shoot everything with the shotgun point blank, and if I die it'll drop me 30 feet away with all the enemies in the same location, with the same health, and with me having the exact same inventory."

In fact, I thought it was quite a shit game for that reason, and the following one:

The game is a really clever, postmodern take on video games and the illusion of player freedom within games while they actually travel down an intended path from the developer. Really clever. Then you kill Andrew Ryan, and it throws all that away with everything plot-wise that follows in the game, turning it into a generic "fight the bad guy" bullshit.

THEN, it has another chance to redeem itself with the whole feeling of "oh no, you might turn into a big daddy, which is a one way, irreversible thing!", but it doesn't even address that at all in the fucking endings! Both endings are trite copouts that seem like they were written in 30 seconds. The final boss is also ridiculously lame.

It should have ended with the forced killing of Andrew Ryan, giving the player no choice.

The art style was incredible, though. One of the most visually astounding games I've played, and I think it's worth a playthrough simply to experience it from an audio & visual standpoint. However, for the reasons I stated above, I think it's really shitty as a video game.

Oh, and the fucking "Good/Bad" mechanic.

It's always such transparent, contrived bullshit in video games. It's like, "Give 5000 dollars" vs "Murder grandma". I hate that shit.

*plays Geometry Wars*

Guest catsonearth
I had a problem with how there was no death penalty in the game, which rendered all the "super dynamic gameplay problem solving choices" completely obsolete.

Once I figured it out about 30 minutes in, it was like "Oh ok, so I can just shoot everything with the shotgun point blank, and if I die it'll drop me 30 feet away with all the enemies in the same location, with the same health, and with me having the exact same inventory."

In fact, I thought it was quite a shit game for that reason, and the following one:

The game is a really clever, postmodern take on video games and the illusion of player freedom within games while they actually travel down an intended path from the developer. Really clever. Then you kill Andrew Ryan, and it throws all that away with everything plot-wise that follows in the game, turning it into a generic "fight the bad guy" bullshit.

THEN, it has another chance to redeem itself with the whole feeling of "oh no, you might turn into a big daddy, which is a one way, irreversible thing!", but it doesn't even address that at all in the fucking endings! Both endings are trite copouts that seem like they were written in 30 seconds. The final boss is also ridiculously lame.

It should have ended with the forced killing of Andrew Ryan, giving the player no choice.

The art style was incredible, though. One of the most visually astounding games I've played, and I think it's worth a playthrough simply to experience it from an audio & visual standpoint. However, for the reasons I stated above, I think it's really shitty as a video game.

i can't argue with the good/bad system because it was pretty remedial (as it is in most games), but i can't agree with what you say about the freedom. it's not a sandbox game and i don't think it tries to make itself out to be. it's a game with levels, very traditional in that respect, but the freedom comes from the variety of gameplay. sure, you can go around shooting everyone with a shotty and get through it, but that doesn't mean the game doesn't have freedom, it just means you aren't being very imaginative with how you're playing. to me, the freedom comes from the fact that you can choose to sneak around and set booby traps, you can use the environment to your advantage in finding new and ridiculous ways of killing splicers, there's a variety of weapons, ammo, weapon combos, magic/plasmids, etc. you can get really strategic with it and set boundaries for yourself that really change the way you play the game. you have the freedom to do things in a lot of different ways and in that respect, the game is only as fun as you make it.

Yeah but by not presenting a real, tangible challenge, it renders all those different things useless.

It's like...

If you boot up solitaire in windows...

But all the cards are already in order...

Then you can make your own fun by maybe not clicking on them all right away....or maybe switch up the order that you click on them.

Bioshock is a shitty game...but an interesting 3d art exhibit.

• 1 year later...
Guest Fishtank

found it for $20

figure I'd check it out

I only played the first one briefly so I don't really know what to expect

Archived