IGNORED

cosmogony and cosmology

Guest tht tne

Guest countchocula

I take everything with a grain of salt. Religion was the widely accepted answer to our origins for ages and then it was proven wrong by evolution. Then evolution is the definite answer for a few decades until the discovery of the Cambrian explosion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IRARI
I take everything with a grain of salt. Religion was the widely accepted answer to our origins for ages and then it was proven wrong by evolution. Then evolution is the definite answer for a few decades until the discovery of the Cambrian explosion.

how can religion be proven wrong? not all religions focus on a god. it's my understanding that a religion is just a way of life.

the mutliverse is an infinite multitude of expanding and contracting bubbles (universes) that all exist in limitless dimensions

could you explain more about "limitless dimensions?" that doesn't sound real to me. as in, i couldn't experience something that was limitless except to learn about it.

Guest countchocula

I didn't mean it so literally, what I should of said was supposedly proven wrong as many people think that religion is obsolete or wrong.

This is entering more in the realm of philosophy than cosmology but to explain the boundaries of the Universe it's like Asteroids, if your ship would go to an edge of the screen it would appear on the other side, there's no "wall" to speak of, it's infinite.

Anyway this is what I imagine advanced civilizations would focus on, not on making contact with primitive civilizations like ours (me).

Argh-- too many replies, I'm out of the loop. Look on the physics forum if you want to learn more, I'm sure you'll get more qualified answers than mine but I've learned a ton by just lurking that board, good stuff.

Guest glasse

time, destiny, fate, free will, responsibility, choice...

imagine god being about 10000000 times more intense than a cylon hybrid or dr manhattan, as far as how he views all of it. i imagine the above somehow co-existing in some sort of way where, people make choices of their own free will and are accountable for them, but at the same time since god knows everything that will ever happen, he can plan around your choices so everything was locked in before it started. it is not god micro managing a bunch of puppets and robots, people still make their own choices.

Guest IRARI

one thing that i'm not clear on is newton's third law: "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." for example if the universe began, according to that law mustn't it also end? but can the universe ever really end? and this gets into the koan "if a tree falls in the forest with no one around to hear it does it make a sound...:" if the universe does "end," there will be one remaining "thing:" the fact that there is no universe. and beyond that there is the fact that there once was a universe which contained this and that and so on. but if no consciousness exists to know a fact i believe the fact still remains. and then that fact becomes an artifact, which in itself is a universe consisting of the linguistic parameters of said fact and possibly remnants of the universe that produced the fact.

time, destiny, fate, free will, responsibility, choice...

imagine god being about 10000000 times more intense than a cylon hybrid or dr manhattan, as far as how he views all of it. i imagine the above somehow co-existing in some sort of way where, people make choices of their own free will and are accountable for them, but at the same time since god knows everything that will ever happen, he can plan around your choices so everything was locked in before it started. it is not god micro managing a bunch of puppets and robots, people still make their own choices.

where i'm not a typical christian is that i don't believe that god knows everything that will ever happen. i think god learns just like us, but may have started with more data or is able to control our retention of the information we "know."

how can religion be proven wrong? not all religions focus on a god. it's my understanding that a religion is just a way of life.

the mutliverse is an infinite multitude of expanding and contracting bubbles (universes) that all exist in limitless dimensions

could you explain more about "limitless dimensions?" that doesn't sound real to me. as in, i couldn't experience something that was limitless except to learn about it.

to be honest i have no idea how the idea of other dimensions scientifically works, tried to watch this video on it, but it loses me in its scope and implications

but basically i think there are infinite realities (or instances of possibilities) that are happening at all times, being observed by infinite instances of conscious beings

Guest IRARI
basically i think there are infinite realities (or instances of possibilities) that are happening at all times, being observed by infinite instances of conscious beings

i may believe that god can never die and therefore there will always be a universe because there must be a conscious observer.

Archived