IGNORED

recommend a laptop designed for music making

:heart: :heart: :heart:

i'll be moving back to my home in west va, and will be computerless...

Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide...

things to know:

- i don't know exactly what makes a laptop ideal for music. i'm guessing part of it is memory, as i tend to run several wave editors with lots going on.

- i'm not looking for a desktop, and i don't care if they are better for music. i want portability above all.

- my financial range is flexible, but i'd like to stay under $1200. i'll probably finance.

- preferably pc. windows 2000 or better (for audio card compatability)

THNAKS YUO>

:heart: :heart: :heart:

no matter what kind of laptop you get, no matter what you end up deciding upon... RAM IS KEY. RAM IS KEY. RAM IS KEY FAGGOT (lol)

Also, try not to get a laptop that is designed for battery life. they use processors that are ineffecient for musics.

you need to get an outboard sound processor like that m-audio firewire dealies.

thats the best advice i can offer. im sure someone else will contradict this post anyways.

when i was looking for one i read a post by 'electronic music composer' on mu saying vaios are good. so i got a vaio.

if you're using wave editors memory is the most important thing, yeah. 1gb is ideal.

YEAH NICE ONE MATE HAPPY DAYS

i gots a new sony vaio it be havin 512 megabytes of ram and it have 60 gigbytes of 'arddrive. it alsos gots, like, all deez memory tings for like, memory cards or wot eva~.

yo it be also avin dis fuckin memory fing chip dats like... 1 million mhz pentium m. its fast as an 'ard snare rush canin in me subs. run tings. bo.

are u tryng 2 get hard wid me m8 ill tayk u out 2 de woodz and cut ur prik off u fukin dirty smelly twat...512 iz a lot n im savng money 2 get more so n da meantime u can fuk right off cunt twat shite e8r

try and get one that has a dedicated video card (ie not shared)

get fuck large RAM!

ext hard drive @ 7200Rpm (internals too slow for aw dee oh)

FW or USB2

plenty ports - mines has 7 USB2 and i've still got to use a fucking hUb

stickers for the front

kp[nmomo

Guest disco_epilepsy

stickers for the front

lolol

mac stickers can increase your nerd cred dramatically if you're using a windows machine

besides that everything else that's important has already been said, such as ram and ports

ram is totally not everything of course its good if it is fast ram dont let amount to fool you...

hdd rpm speed is something...

prosessors is everything... dont get celeron or shit like that

prosessors is everything... dont get celeron or shit like that

ram you can upgrade easily enough - it's cheap enough these days to pick up 512 sodimms.

make sure the cpu is a good un.

and second the dedicated gpu - make sure it aint onboard gfx or your sequencer window screen redraw rate will plummet when things get busy, and drag the whole thing to the ground.

ok, this is a lot to take in, but from reading what everyone has said, and looking at sony/dell websites, and checking out the customizeable notebooks, i'm getting a fairly good idea of the whole thing.

this has been very helpful, thanks dudes.

peanuts

Guest blicero
it seems that i can find a dell (for way cheap) with the amount of ram and processing power necessary, what is the important differences between say, a pumped up dell inspiron to a sony vaio with the same ram/processing?

the amount of pussy you get.

Guest Max Marlow

i am using a notebook for all my audio works. the key is not the ram only.

1.) it has to be silent

-> mobile processor ->pentium M

2.) connectivity

-> more than 2x usb (mine has 4)

3.) usb harddisks suck (really, i crashed 4 times in 2 years on fucking shit USB/USB2.0)

-> firewire port for the harddisks

4.) external HDD for wav samples should be one with a cooler! (firewire SATA)

5.) use windows 2003 using newest softwareclasses, 2000 professional for reliability, xp professional for lowest cost

(i'd really love to see linux here with the mass of software)

6.) CPU / RAM approx 2:1

mine is 1,5 Ghz : 512 MB

7.) dont install shit, keep it clean (or make 2 partitions)

8.) wise choice of soundcard.

the choice of your external soundcard can save you a lot of system ressources on your laptop as such

9.) SERVICE!!

dont chose a cheap retailer... you'll really pay twice.

ok. i bought an ASUS A3N that days, i think newer ones are better. but i would ever buy another ASUS for their support.

what doesn't mean there are other good ones. alienware is especially good for you US consumers

Guest Max Marlow
More than 2 ghz Processor Speed

More than 1000 mb RAM

= Good to go.

can you please tell me for what you need that ?

MIDI doesn't need it as well as loading .wav samples.

As long as you don't use a thousand VST's or Reaktor there's no need for such a megamachine ?

I'd say for those things you should stick into a local machine again then.

processor and ram, as big numbers as you an afford... and separate video processing, you'll be fine.

don't go dell, unless you want to listen to their 'don't give a fuck' line when something goes wrong.

Guest Keef Baker

Don't buy an acer. I made that mistake.

It's unusable because the audio glitches even after countless rebuilds, different external soundcards, different operting systems the lot.

Rubbish.

Archived