IGNORED

recommend a laptop designed for music making

processor and ram, as big numbers as you an afford... and separate video processing, you'll be fine.

don't go dell, unless you want to listen to their 'don't give a fuck' line when something goes wrong.

this seems to be the most simple and consistant advice, thanks.

computers will sometimes use a different processor for video, and that's what i should look for... am i getting this right?

i'm still relatively new to the computer world.

lol, how old is that article??

Most new machines today come with at least a 10Gb hard drive and 128Mb of Ram, and although such a drive size may be adequate, the RAM really needs to be increased to around 256Mb to take advantage of programs such as Logic and Cubase

Could someone give me a laptop hand as well? I'm after something for making music AND a little bit of gaming. Not massive amounts of Half Life 2 or anything like that, but a decent-ish graphics card is very important and this is something that most apparently audio-optimised laptops seem to skimp on. I really don't want to have to open a new laptop up and put new things into it. Can anyone help this music-making gamer?

Guest Max Marlow
computers will sometimes use a different processor for video, and that's what i should look for... am i getting this right?

laptop mainboard chipsets calculate a lot of things on themselves for saving power. like onboard sound, graphics, network.

the problem with it is, once its loading things the bandwidth and power for other things is sinking.

the centrino is one of these - so just watch out for separate graphics controller. 90% of the times its an ATI mobile chip - which are good enough for leaving a lot of power for your other calculations.

Guest pantsonmyhead

a company calld rain makes laptops built for feild recording

they're pretty awesome and they look cool as crap

unfortunately I'm too lazy to google you a link right now

lol, how old is that article??

Most new machines today come with at least a 10Gb hard drive and 128Mb of Ram, and although such a drive size may be adequate, the RAM really needs to be increased to around 256Mb to take advantage of programs such as Logic and Cubase

hahahah, i didn't even really read it. i glanced at it for a second, and thought it might be of some use. i guess not.

I got a 1.6 Ghz AMD Turion 64 MT-30 processor in my laptop, which seems to handle multiple VSTs and effects etc really well. I've only got 512 RAM at the moment, which I'm hoping to upgrade asap, but this does OK as long as I don't try and get too complicated. Defintely get a USB or PCMCIA soundcard jobbie, yes. You can get 'em quite cheap really if you don't mind buying Creative.....

I'd say not to bother with a Mac - mainly because of the difficulty of getting hold of software i.e you're gonna have to actually buy some of it. And it's pricey. If I had loads of cash, I'd definitely get a Mac and buy all my software etc. but I just can't afford to on my income. I also think PC's are actually easier to use. They just work better, you know what I mean? Sure they may crash more often or freeze up, but so what? Not really a problem if you save your work. And thinking about it, my laptop hardly ever crashes anyway.

So, yeah, I'd recommend an AMD processor rather than Intel and as much RAM as you can afford. You'll be alright with that I reckon.

Sorted.

I'd say not to bother with a Mac - mainly because of the difficulty of getting hold of software i.e you're gonna have to actually buy some of it. And it's pricey. If I had loads of cash, I'd definitely get a Mac and buy all my software etc. but I just can't afford to on my income. I also think PC's are actually easier to use. They just work better, you know what I mean? Sure they may crash more often or freeze up, but so what? Not really a problem if you save your work. And thinking about it, my laptop hardly ever crashes anyway.

I hate mac/pc debates but for the sake of clarity it isn't difficult to get hold of software, it takes a week to adjust and read things but all non-dongle software is easily obtainable.

all computers are tools, not ways of life I am not looking for a mac/pc debate.

• 2 months later...

hey guys....

maybe you guys can give me a yay or nay.

I've found a laptop with the following selected specs;

- Intel ® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)

- 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)

- 128MB ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 graphics card

Is this sufficient for making teh musics? It's pretty much the most RAM + Processor power I can afford. I only have a P4 1.4Ghz with the same amount of RAM in my desktop and that manages to handle everything I do so i'm thinking this will? I just want to ask someone else incase i'm forgettign something stupid :fear:

Archived