IGNORED

Kode9 & Flying Lotus show

Guest maantecaaa!!!

Guest maantecaaa!!!

I went last Friday to see Kode9 & Flying Lotus play in L.A.... It was PAINFULLY boring. I love Kode9's music, but the 'performance' was dull as hell, just the guy playing in front of his laptop. Flying Lotus was pretty much the same except he over-exaggerated all of his arm movements and facial expressions. I still don't 'get' his music yet. It's a bunch of beat trickery without any structure or soul (from what i've heard, and yes i'm pretty well-versed on other electronic music). The visuals for the show were super un-inspired also, I swear they were using a 386 to process the visual effects.. they were grainy and used graphical objects on the screen that looked like they came from 1990.

I wish there was some kind of alternate venue to hear music live instead of clubs. It's always seemed really stupid to me to have a non-performance oriented show with nowhere really compelling to focus on stage and just have the club be standing room only. So 1)there's no performance to watch and 2)nearly every show is set up the same where everyone is watching a stage where almost nothing is going on. This kills any chance at socializing with other fans which is part of the point of going to shows. Not like you can hear this shit all over the place.

Before you say do it yourself if you think you can do better... I'm thinking about it! Time to stop blowing money on these boring, bullshit 'idm-ish' shows!

Too bad I missed Gaslamp Killer, THAT guy knows how to put on a performance.

Thoughts? Anybody else find that they're bored at most electronic/non-dance related shows?

Guest Coalbucket PI

I think Kode9 is very boring anyway, bordering on being really shit.

I do see what you mean about electronic music shows, I don't really know what the answer is. Often artists are performing dumbed-down/danced-up versions of their style just to get some sort of crowd reaction because that's all you can do. The only other way it works is if you can do something that lets people see what you are doing live, like playing an instrument or using an interesting controller. Then on the other hand you can get a live band to try and perform electronic tracks live so people can enjoy live music in the traditional sense, except it is almost always a bit off the mark

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

saw their last show in LA an whilst i had fun i agree with you.

they played here on saturday and we didnt go. shame becausei wouldnt of minded seeing the bug but didnt want to see fl & kode9 again

it's impossible to socialize at any concert while the concert is going on, obviously (way way too loud, plus people usually want to hear the music) ... i've talked to people before and after, though

Guest ms-dos

I assumed that people would go to this show because they wanted to hear Kode9 (and to a lesser degree, Flying Lotus) on the Echoplex's fantastic sound system. It wasn't the same as listening to it on your headphones or computer speakers, was it?

Guest maantecaaa!!!
I assumed that people would go to this show because they wanted to hear Kode9 (and to a lesser degree, Flying Lotus) on the Echoplex's fantastic sound system. It wasn't the same as listening to it on your headphones or computer speakers, was it?

Yeah, it was worse than listening at home. The bass isn't all that great and the mids and treble are fairly distorted, taking away alot of the nuances of the music. I wish Avalon in Hollywood wasn't so douchey cuz i'd really like to hear that soundsystem played with different kinds of music. I went to a dnb show there and the sound was REALLY nice, clean smooth bass and treble/mids that was played at less than ear shattering volume but with very good clarity.

For those of you wondering if you should go to the show: ever have the feeling at an electronic show that it's really boring and you wish you just bought more cd's by the artists instead? Yeah, applies here totally.

I get the feeling alot that we're just being suckered to support people's music production costs. If they were serious about putting on a good show, they wouldn't be so completely bereft of any effort. Think about it, if you were known across the world, with fans in several countries, and going on tour, would you be personally satisfied by doing a laptop-only set?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me repeatedly over the course of 15 years...SHAME ON ME! :teeth:

I talked to Gaslamp about this show and didn't have anything that great to say about Kode 9's performance but he and FlyLo are good friends, so he wouldn't have anything bad to say about this beat ninja.....I dug the shit out of what GLK does live and I have seen a lot of djs, he isn't the best but he is up there for sheer song choice and makin me dance (feeding me free beers and hangin back stage with hot chicks drooling for him and him wanting to destroy things = ATOP entertained)

Yeah, it was worse than listening at home. The bass isn't all that great and the mids and treble are fairly distorted, taking away alot of the nuances of the music. I wish Avalon in Hollywood wasn't so douchey cuz i'd really like to hear that soundsystem played with different kinds of music. I went to a dnb show there and the sound was REALLY nice, clean smooth bass and treble/mids that was played at less than ear shattering volume but with very good clarity.

For those of you wondering if you should go to the show: ever have the feeling at an electronic show that it's really boring and you wish you just bought more cd's by the artists instead? Yeah, applies here totally.

I get the feeling alot that we're just being suckered to support people's music production costs. If they were serious about putting on a good show, they wouldn't be so completely bereft of any effort. Think about it, if you were known across the world, with fans in several countries, and going on tour, would you be personally satisfied by doing a laptop-only set?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me repeatedly over the course of 15 years...SHAME ON ME! :teeth:

one very crucial key thing to remember when it comes to why these people do such uneventful lazy tours.

its because most of the people who are going to pay $ to see them DO NOT GIVE A SHIT, they are like the friends of girlfriends AT MOST of people who own 1 cd or downloaded 1 kode 9 track and find themselves 'really diggin the dubstep'

they do not play shows for people like you or me.

Guest maantecaaa!!!
one very crucial key thing to remember when it comes to why these people do such uneventful lazy tours.

its because most of the people who are going to pay $ to see them DO NOT GIVE A SHIT, they are like the friends of girlfriends AT MOST of people who own 1 cd or downloaded 1 kode 9 track and find themselves 'really diggin the dubstep'

And there's the nail on the head. I guess this is why people end up going into production or throwing parties themselves, dissatisfaction with the status quo.

And there's the nail on the head. I guess this is why people end up going into production or throwing parties themselves, dissatisfaction with the status quo.

Im opening a small but decent venue with a really clean powerful sound system in my area hopefully in the next 6 months. if you ever come up here let me know, i will only put on good shows :beer:

Guest maantecaaa!!!
Im opening a small but decent venue with a really clean powerful sound system in my area hopefully in the next 6 months. if you ever come up here let me know, i will only put on good shows :beer:

Damn dude, make that known here that you're opening a venue. Where is it gonna be at? Are you gonna make the u.s. version of the Valve Soundsystem in there?

Guest AOOproductions

the whole deal why people like Flying is the same reason people like J Dilla. He's like the electronica/hop hop version of him. To the untrained ear all of Dillas beats aren't particularly different, but its the subtleties and what's going on underneath everything. detailed drums with varying progressions... Thats why he's a critics darling anyway. They love using the term soundscapes with him. Make your own opinion, but thats why hes so revered for the most part. I like him, but i get more tired listening to a whole cd from him then i would just any old instrumental DJ tape from Dilla.

You should look into seeing Cex live, maybe that'll be more up your alley. Personally, the only expectation I go into a show with is that I'll hear music I like. So if there is a performance aspect to the show it's gravy.

Fuck yeah man! At least what was going on in my head was quite xenorrific! I have some saved for the next special show coming through.......

Archived