IGNORED

opening an IDM bar/lounge

Guest chax

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would be like every other beverage/food adventure. Even if you worked night and day to make it great and had good initial results, you still only have a 60% chance of staying in business longer than a year. It's a brutal game but the payoff can obviously be life changing. The problem I see is high loyalty but low turnout. You gotta draw the bitches in to counteract your whitey regulars talking about the latest plug-ins and fighting over the best Aphex Twin track.

men drink more than women so are better customers. but if there's no women, men won't stay in the place so you need women to keep it going. that won't be a problem in the idm bar.

Would be like every other beverage/food adventure. Even if you worked night and day to make it great and had good initial results, you still only have a 60% chance of staying in business longer than a year. It's a brutal game but the payoff can obviously be life changing. The problem I see is high loyalty but low turnout. You gotta draw the bitches in to counteract your whitey regulars talking about the latest plug-ins and fighting over the best Aphex Twin track.

What about a tourist town?

Guest Franklin

I think you could broaden the appeal by maybe including other fetish groups like preggos or glory-hole sluts or

wait what are we talking about here?

unrealistic thread is unrealistic

i don't think it's unrealistic at all. i figure i could get an audience, a following, a place for people to come and hang out, maybe serve food or whatever. hire one other person to help bartend. definitely stay open during the daytime. i've already checked out locations and i could get a decent spot in a decent area on queen st for 1000 a month. it is kind of small though. if it didn't work out i would definitely be fucked financially. i think i'm going to continue working in the industry for another year and see where it goes, i doubt i'd get a partner to go in with me, it would be all solo.

why not just like a bar playing good music? you're just restricting your audience by doing only idm.

any/all forms of alternative electronic music

I just had the greatest idea ever, how cool would this be: opening a bar/lounge that *only* plays IDM/alternative electronic music. I know there is a big electro scene in Toronto, so I'm sure there would be enough of an audience to make this work. To just have a venue to go chill and listen to some IDM...maybe make it a combination internet cafe with computers everywhere, and free wifi with your laptop. Have live only IDM DJs, maybe get some streaming DJs over the internet to play music with a sweet soundsystem. Get a nice location on Queen street or something. This would be some fucking awesome shit. I was reading this: http://www.clubplanet.ca/Articles/2007/How-To-Open-a-Bar and I think I could do it. Although maybe I'll get more experience working in the industry before going all in, this is probably like 3-5 years out, maybe.

What would the atmosphere/furniture be like? Would there be theme nights? Are Tuesdays ambient nights? Have an open mic night for upcoming superstars?

POSSIBLE IDM BAR NAMES:

Electron

Brain Damage

IDM BAR

Thoughts/ideas?

i used to have all sorts of pipe dreams like this whilst high on one thing or another. It seemed SOOOOO fucking possible I could taste it.... Alas, pipe dreams were all they were...

I'm definitely not saying this is the case with you. I'm talking about me and MY self-centered ass. This being said, if said club was in my town I would probably make it a point to go.

gash thread, but soz, again i feel it should turn to talk about ginglik. not only the best club in west london but one that has a rep throughout london for adamantly spearheading the more leftfield/experimental side. renovated victorian toilets turned small cosy bar/club. the council tried to fill it with concrete, mass protests ensued (with even lily allen jumping on board). read up on the place.

on the promotional side, shimmering hour is launching there on the 2nd. any londonders reading this, by even being aware of it it's your goddamn duty to attend.

i don't think it's unrealistic at all. i figure i could get an audience, a following, a place for people to come and hang out, maybe serve food or whatever. hire one other person to help bartend. definitely stay open during the daytime. i've already checked out locations and i could get a decent spot in a decent area on queen st for 1000 a month. it is kind of small though. if it didn't work out i would definitely be fucked financially. i think i'm going to continue working in the industry for another year and see where it goes, i doubt i'd get a partner to go in with me, it would be all solo.

you are not the first person to investigate the viability of this sort of thing

i suppose it's ultimately dependent on how large a city you live in, i.e. how big your target demographic is

Guest my usernames always really suck

If you do it in Seattle you have to play 1950s electronic music so they can call it 21st century.

i've seen it work in amsterdam

but yeah, generally only metropolitan areas >500,000 citizens by my reckoning

what is that place called? do they have a website?

you are not the first person to investigate the viability of this sort of thing

i suppose it's ultimately dependent on how large a city you live in, i.e. how big your target demographic is

i started making a post on this sort of thing but couldn't. there's a broad church which benefit from 'out there' places - i think in smaller cities if you were embrace everything that isn't mainstream then you survive. the idea of having an 'idm' bar is either a joke or incredibly naive... least of all because that demographic are small, don't drink much and will only pay larger door tax for big artists who take big money. it's simply not viable - if 30% or whatever are failing then that's in the context of most venues pandering to the lowest common denominator. you set yourself up as a well respected and adamantly broad church of the oddity then you've got a chance. really though i don't know enough about this stuff to start speculating like that - which is one of the reasons it'd be nice to have more people who actually do this posting (instead of just browsing).

also, its important the interplay between promoters and the venue owners, again something we don't know enough about

Guest joshier

why not have 7 days, each with different music genres. rock, punk, electronic, metal, classical, etc etc etc then have it so each time the genres flal on different days just to really confuse everyone

Guest my usernames always really suck

I never understood the point of bars anyway

Maybe in England you guys chat it up and socialize but over here bars tend to be a bunch of sulking rednecks and white-collar alcoholics hunched over their stools feeling sorry for themselves.

I never understood the point of bars anyway

Maybe in England you guys chat it up and socialize but over here bars tend to be a bunch of sulking rednecks and white-collar alcoholics hunched over their stools feeling sorry for themselves.

you've pretty much explained the difference between a bar and a pub there

IDM PUB FTW

Archived