IGNORED

opening an IDM bar/lounge

Guest chax

I just had the greatest idea ever, how cool would this be: opening a bar/lounge that *only* plays IDM/alternative electronic music. I know there is a big electro scene in Toronto, so I'm sure there would be enough of an audience to make this work. To just have a venue to go chill and listen to some IDM...maybe make it a combination internet cafe with computers everywhere, and free wifi with your laptop. Have live only IDM DJs, maybe get some streaming DJs over the internet to play music with a sweet soundsystem. Get a nice location on Queen street or something. This would be some fucking awesome shit. I was reading this: http://www.clubplanet.ca/Articles/2007/How-To-Open-a-Bar and I think I could do it. Although maybe I'll get more experience working in the industry before going all in, this is probably like 3-5 years out, maybe.

What would the atmosphere/furniture be like? Would there be theme nights? Are Tuesdays ambient nights? Have an open mic night for upcoming superstars?

POSSIBLE IDM BAR NAMES:

Electron

Brain Damage

IDM BAR

Thoughts/ideas?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had this idea years ago. Sadly it was too expensive to pull off. Getting a good location for the bar would cost over £100,000 and I only had £400.

i don't think the place would be that big. i was at 'not my dog' a few weeks ago and that place is TINY so it would probably be a bit bigger than that, but not a massive place or anything. I could probably take out a loan for like 20 grand. it would be very difficult to get a business plan though because you would have to describe the appeal of IDM in written form. maybe once a week we'd have to have an indie 'guitar music' night in order to make ends meet. also live visuals...ahhh yeah

Holy shit your in the toronto area eh?

DO IT MAN! I live in Ottawa I would come there every damn chance I got.

Plus if its successful at all it might catch on in other cities. I'm sick of going out to bars/clubs and hearing garbage music, or music that's alright but not specifically my type of music.

an IDM bar would be fucking awesome though. Guaranteed I will bring down a good 4-5 group of buddies every couple of weeks if time and money allows.

Make some really cutting edge IDM design in the actual architecture. Walls at obscure angles, etc etc.

i had an idea in the late 90s of opening a coffee shop with ambient/idm music playing. the name i chose at the time was "excursions" (after the excursions in ambience compilations on astralwerks)!

Archived