IGNORED

the new world - extended edition dvd

playbynumbers

Guest Mirezzi
i'm a little late on this one (i guess it came out in october 2008?), but in case you haven't yet heard, well, now you've heard

Yeah, I picked this up around two months ago and the only total fucking bummer about it is that it's standard def. :(

Zaphod - that's pretty fucking rich coming from the flower girl who cried while watching Synecdoche, NY! :yeah:

:undecided:

*runs*

yeah it's crazy to me that someone could not like 'the new world,' oh well. though i loved 'synecdoche' and i'm the only person that i know personally for whom this was the case ...

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, I heard the other day that Kaufman's next film will be really controversial. It will feature a 30-40 minute timelapse of Kaufman being castrated for its denouement. Heady stuff. Jon Brion is working on something "epic" to span the length of the scene.

total fucking bummer about it is that it's standard def. :(

I was going to buy this on dvd but decided to wait and make it one of my first blu-ray purchases. If ever there was a movie made for high definition viewing...

haven't gotten it in the mail yet, but i'll let you know. i do know that malick was forced by the studio, years ago, to cut it down from a much longer original version, so i'm guessing this is just the original version

Guest awkwardsilence

Yeah, I remember him saying in interviews when the movie was released that he had been forced to cut it down for theatres, and that there was an extended edition coming. I'll sit it out and wait for the blu-ray version.

Here's hoping they'll remaster Badlands as well. That old dvd release is ugly looking.

Guest Franklin
yeah it's crazy to me that someone could not like 'the new world,' oh well. though i loved 'synecdoche' and i'm the only person that i know personally for whom this was the case ...

i'm with you pbn

Tree of Life is still vague. It's unknown if the Dinosaur thing is still part of the movie, some reports say that it was edited out and made into another project for the next year. Lubezki is again his DP, so it's (as always) going to be beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awkwardsilence

I was going to buy this on dvd but decided to wait and make it one of my first blu-ray purchases. If ever there was a movie made for high definition viewing...

Hey guys, guess what was just announced, from Warner, release date September 8th.

High five! Great job! *scratches one more name off the most wanted blu-rays list*

protectedimaget.jpg

Source: DVD Times co uk

Guest Mirezzi

Hey guys, guess what was just announced, from Warner, release date September 8th.

High five! Great job! *scratches one more name off the most wanted blu-rays list*

protectedimaget.jpg

Source: DVD Times co uk

*sigh*

Anybody want the standard definition version?

Guest zaphod

watched this again. ok, so it is a beautiful movie, i concede. the thing that bothers me, and it really bothers me, is the score. not the wagner and mozart, but the somber james horner score that lifts from braveheart almost verbatim. it's hack work and it brings the movie down for me. this is a film that relies on the interplay of imagery and music, so when the music is great, it works, but since most of it is just the score, it doesn't. still my least favorite malick film (days of heaven is his best).

yeah, it was a hassle for malick to even get that much horner out of it (he threw out the entire original horner score). also the film is like 12 minutes too long.

also, hilariousness; days of heaven is his worst film, i think, and the new world is his best. UH OH, OPINIONS ON THE INTERNET

Horner has hacked himself for decades. He reuses stuff constantly. If you go to movie music forums, you'll see how it's a constant running joke what he does. Not only lifts from himself, but is majorely deritative of existing classical compositions. Every composer is "influenced", but he just rips them off blattantly.

Archived