IGNORED

Tamiya Radio Controlled Cars

BCM

after my incredibly amusing suggestion of using "The Frog" to wipe your arse instead of toilet paper, I got to thinking about all those old Tamiya RC Cars.... they were all the rage when I was about 11 or 12. I did in fact have "The Frog" which was my first proper RC car, but unfortunately it wasn't really that cool compared to the ones my mates had.

So anyway, what did you have? The Hornet? The Grasshopper? The Lunchbox? Or you might have been lucky enough to own the hallowed "Avante"... Maybe you had a Technigold motor upgrade or ball-race bearings....

Discuss your RC Car experiences!

Here are some pics of some that may bring back memories if you're old enough:

top.jpg

top.jpg

top.jpg

top.jpg

top.jpg

TAMIYA139.jpg

:] i modded mine a bit, long shocks, cyclone (i think, 16x2 or some thing, luminous yellow one) motor... crikey i cant remember what we did to it.

i would have loved a CAT. but couldnt afford it.

cat.jpg

what a beaut!

nice thread btw

yeah man! that was like, the best one you could get.... i used to drool over them in Beatties...

i always liked The Boomerang too...

436125d1238634595-1989-vintage-tamiya-boomerang-sale-boomerang-side-.jpg

also I always wanted this motor called Twister or something...was shit hot apparently. my mate had a Quicksilver motor in his Hornet - that was well quick...

as a kid i had the Hot Shot, which sucked bc it had one battery for power and radio control, so when it died you had to chase after it. later, got the Blackfoot which i still have today.

blackfoot1.jpg

i had a futaba speed control and handset iirc. and im looking for that motor. its beginning to bug me, have to know!

sure i had an LRP motor sometime. used to race indoors a bit, so had a set of foam tyres too.

I wanted one of these so bad when I was a kid, and never got one, and then my brother-in-law gave my son a Grasshopper, and the fucking batteries last 5 minutes. What a fucking waste.

yeah the batteries don't last long.... you need a special quick charger and a few spare batteries....

i used to always want a shit hot controller too, but had to stick with the crappy gun-type one that came with it. my mate had this well nice chrome effect one with a massive aerial.

do you remember what radio band you were on? i think i was 3 - might have been the orange one....

It just killed me that it was over so quick - the cars are fast as shit, fun to drive (the gun style control, I found, always worked better than the dual sticks), but the fucking batteries die out after a few minutes of zooming around. As expensive as the cars, batteries and all the prereqs that come with owning an RC car, I would think they'd be able to make a battery that can hold more of a charge.

i had a 2nd hand hornet. battery life was a cunt. i had 4 spare batteries and my dad was always complaining how i seemed to be constantly charging them. 20 minutes drive time! woo!

was a bit of a fad for me though, i got fed up with it or grew out of it pretty fast.

Guest hahathhat

i had two or three RC cars, but none of them were tamiya.

the only thing by tamiya i had was a few models...

001parts.jpeg

Archived