IGNORED

photoshop experts

keltoi

i've only got photoshop elements but i'm hoping it can do this effect.

what i need to do is make the lower half of a photo become more transparent as it gets to the bottom, and overlay it on top of another photo... then do it again with another becoming more transparent from the middle to the top and lay it over again.

ya get me?

nah mean?

crap explanation...

three landscape photos overlapping top to bottom... the top one fades over the middle one, the middle one is solid with no transparency... the bottom one also fades over the middle one.

help please.. i will try to find an example....

Guest taxman

i don't know anything about elements but if you want to send me the images i could do it for you in no time.

i don't know anything about elements but if you want to send me the images i could do it for you in no time.

THANKS!

it's for my dad, he's writing a book (boring factual one about the histroy BB's in edinburgh) which is going to be published, so this will be a rough for the cover.

he'd also like a royal/dark blue hue running through it too. he said to choose which order i thought looked looked best top to bottom. i think the images are a bit crap myself but it's what he wants so do the best you can...

i appreciate it loads. cheers!

post-2075-1244133070_thumb.jpg

post-2075-1244133137_thumb.jpg

post-2075-1244133194_thumb.jpg

Guest tv_party

while we're on the subject, are there any filters in ps that can create the glitchy digital distortion you can get sometimes with bad videos?

while we're on the subject, are there any filters in ps that can create the glitchy digital distortion you can get sometimes with bad videos?

You mean the compression artifacts?

Or do you mean like colour offset, scanlines, etc.

you could just take the image you want the video compression on, make it a video in windows movie maker or something equally shitty, then open it in virtual dub or something and just keep re compressing it until you have a screenshot you want.

Guest tv_party

You mean the compression artifacts?

Or do you mean like colour offset, scanlines, etc.

yeah I think I it's compression artefacts. I wish I could find a good visual example, but it's like when like 1/3 of the corner looks like diagonal green blocks, other parts are part jaggy mangled pixels that look like a gnarly microchip close up and some of the colors freak out. know what I mean?

now that I'm looking for examples I can't find them.

Guest tv_party

ok somewhat of an example, but not quite as far out as I mean.

youtube video lag distortion.

picture1uj2.png

so I guess the above idea maybe will work, but I was hoping to find something that mimicked it while remaining in the ps/still photo domain.

Guest taxman

i didn't know what you meant by the dark blue bit so i posted one with a blue line and one without. hope this helps.

i have the layered files still if you want any changes made.

Guest Iain C

I think the gate should go at the bottom, having it above the house is really disturbing to me for some reason.

There's more sky in the top picture (the house) so it should go at the top - really, these photos are better suited to a landscape composition, rather than portrait.

Guest taxman

i think putting the house on the top makes the picture too top heavy. the pillars in the fence picture end up looking like they're holding up whatever picture i put above it so i put it on the top.

heh i forgot half of you are graphic designers

i think putting the house on the top makes the picture too top heavy. the pillars in the fence picture end up looking like they're holding up whatever picture i put above it so i put it on the top.

heh i forgot half of you are graphic designers

you're right.

THANKS!

it's for my dad, he's writing a book (boring factual one about the histroy BB's in edinburgh) which is going to be published, so this will be a rough for the cover.

he'd also like a royal/dark blue hue running through it too. he said to choose which order i thought looked looked best top to bottom. i think the images are a bit crap myself but it's what he wants so do the best you can...

i appreciate it loads. cheers!

had a quick go at it... perhaps this is a better composition if it's for a book cover like you say (sized to 6"x9"; typical US publisher book size format)

mockup.jpg

thanks for your efforts... i like bits of both your ideas but it's kind of what my dad had in mind that i'm trying to get...

taxman - can you try larger areas of transparency? almost half of the top and bottom of the pictures, gradually fading more transparent towards the bottom (or top)... that way you can get it to the dimensions/proportions that joyrex is suggesting (6 x 9). i think he's after a subtle blue hue/filter strongest across the central pic and fading towards the top and bottom of the book... he showed me an example but i can't find one on google now. i think you're right about the gates and the order you chose.

i agree that the pics don't really lend themselves brilliantly to what he wants... i tried to persuade him to just pick one suitable image.

maybe try blending just 2 of them? the building and the cairn i think might work better. they are most important to feature.. he'll be open to suggestion if it looks better and he's got plenty time for revisions.

cheers again!

Archived