IGNORED

Unemployment

Guest Gary C

Unemployment  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What's your current employment status?

• Employed (not looking for another job)
    • Employed (but still looking)
    • Part-time (not looking)
    • Part-time (but still looking)
    • Unemployed (not looking)
    • Unemployed (but still looking)
    • Other (student, retired)
    • Self-employed
  2. 2. Happy with your financial situation?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Gary C

With massive unemployment in the UK it seems increasingly more difficult to find a job, and therefore harder to keep the one you may have already, and this worries me.

I'm interested to know whether WATMM works, and if we can ride the economic storm.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nacmat

employed

but could be fired any minute

I am an architect and right now in spain nobody builds anything at all

so the studio I work for doesnt have enough incomes to pay all of us... this has been the situation since november and in the last 7 months we have gone from 85 people to 60 and counting

well, lets see if luck stays a little longer

Guest Gary C

I've been working part-time as a bartender for a year, whilst sporadically (and somewhat reluctantly) looking for a more substantial job elsewhere. But in recent weeks, mainly due to women, I've been spending more than I've been earning and felt a bit shit this morning when I saw my bank statement.

I have a degree in Journalism, which doesn't count for much in the industry outside of an economic slump anyway. So today I've applied for a list of jobs I wouldn't particularly be happy to do, but would be willing to try for at least a couple of months; litter-picking between 5am-8am being one of them.

Employed, happy with wage & type of work and the company is doing great. A lot of people getting fired in the sector though, but I'm not worried. I'm 21, no responsibilities and lots of open doors.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch
need an option for self-employed

i went with other

Well, that'd still be employed, right?

well no.

Guest abusivegeorge

I am signed off from working for two years because of my condition, so that I can attend enough meetings, and work my programme of recovery, but I receive benefits. So I clicked unemployed (not looking).

Guest Gary C
need an option for self-employed

i went with other

Well, that'd still be employed, right?

well no.

In hindsight, I suppose it's actually an important demographic. You have your wish, even though you can't vote again. :ok:

Guest placidburp

Employed, working in a bar. And I just realised today I have been there for 10 years!!! Been searching the Job centre website nearly everyday for the last 3 months. Just applied to do a Computer Maintenance course at my local college which will last a few years and I will get proper recognised qualification out of it, I just have to find the £1000+ it will cost.

Fucking skint all the time and pretty much hate myself for still pulling pints at the age of 28 and not doing anything about it for so long, and attempting to sort myself out at the completely wrong time!

FML

eidt and I'm drunk.

i am over halfway done with a 2-year appointment at a govt lab. just learned that they are going to offer me a 9-month extension as part of the recovery and reinvestment act money, so quite happy with that.

Guest Gary C
Employed, working in a bar. And I just realised today I have been there for 10 years!!! Been searching the Job centre website nearly everyday for the last 3 months. Just applied to do a Computer Maintenance course at my local college which will last a few years and I will get proper recognised qualification out of it, I just have to find the £1000+ it will cost.

Fucking skint all the time and pretty much hate myself for still pulling pints at the age of 28 and not doing anything about it for so long, and attempting to sort myself out at the completely wrong time!

FML

eidt and I'm drunk.

My future self.

full time, after working the position for a few months part time. i'm not happy with my financial situation cause my rents a bit high and i just wish i had more money. i'd get paid more at work but the business is struggling a bit atm. could even go under, but things have been looking up the past month or so which is good. i like my job and i'm in no fear of not being able to find another one.

Guest esquimaw

Full time employed and self employed with a couple of contracts. Financially pretty ok, but no spare time! Considering cutting down to just self employed stuff and trying to expand that a bit. Get more work/life balance.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Did you see the metro or whatever yesterday? A person loses a job every 30 seconds. I expect everyone will be unemployed by tomorrow lunchtime and we'll be feasting off each others' limbs for essential protein by the evening.

I'm okay, job pays only 19k, but then I have, except for my student loan, no debt or responsibilities, and my rent is pretty cheap.

Archived