IGNORED

the 'we don't know what else to do so....' ending

kaini

here's the archetypical example, using a popular theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9OYMRwN1Q

those two chords at the end. to anyone who's listened to a lot of music they just scream 'yeah this was a cool idea, but now we're locked into making a song with it, and we have no idea how to end it. let's have a meeting in which we decide a fast V-I progression will wrap things up nicely w00t we done made a hit!!1!'

name and optionally post other examples of the 'no idea how to end the track' syndrome here!

recent BoC...the tape/record effect towards the end of Chromakey Dreamcoat screams gimmick to me...the hippie tabla jam at the end of the Why remix also seemed like a weak cop out

i disagree about fadeout. on an album, it's cool if songs fade into eachother.

my favorite album, Loveless, I am pretty sure contains fadeouts on every track (though they're usually incredibly fast and lead straight into the next song)

also dj sets consist entirely of fadeouts.

there is something about hearing a repetition for a few minutes and then hearing the repetition fade out. it's entrancing.

i disagree about fadeout. on an album, it's cool if songs fade into eachother.

my favorite album, Loveless, I am pretty sure contains fadeouts on every track (though they're usually incredibly fast and lead straight into the next song)

also dj sets consist entirely of fadeouts.

there is something about hearing a repetition for a few minutes and then hearing the repetition fade out. it's entrancing.

that is not what they are talking about

Guest analogue wings

also, cymbal crashes to end a song. fuck that

oh you mean

da da da (pause, drummer "subtly" counts 4 on sticks...) CRASH!

aka the Battle Of The Bands ending

there's an entire conversation about fade outs in this book i once read.

one of the characters says she likes fade outs because it always seems like the singers become more enthusiastic as the song starts to fade, like they're fighting against the dying volume...

i can't find a quote, but the book is vox by nicholas baker.

Guest analogue wings

there's an entire conversation about fade outs in this book i once read.

one of the characters says she likes fade outs because it always seems like the singers become more enthusiastic as the song starts to fade, like they're fighting against the dying volume...

i can't find a quote, but the book is vox by nicholas baker.

Usually they fade right when the singer gets TOO enthusiatic and does something off-key or just retarded sounding. When you heard the un-faded acapellas of famous songs you generally have a "THAT'S why they faded it there" moment.

The most famous is Marvin Gaye's "Please dont procrastinate, [fade starts] it's not good to ma..." in Sexual Healing

Archived