IGNORED

what's a good drum machine sampler vsti?

modey

i'm looking for something preferably with multiple outputs, so i can have one midi track to control the drums but each drum can potentially be routed to different effects. is there anything out there that is cheap or free that fits my description? i'm getting a little sick of having to render my electronic drums out from buzz and into reaper every time i want to play live instruments over them - and then having no control over the sequence in reaper.

battery is a good one, I have heard. Drumular is a cheap one that I use all of the time for its wealth of modules , but it has a major flaw where attack of samples cannot be less than 1ms. Theres tons of free simple ones.

Guest Wall Bird

Battery 3 is an excellent drum sampler. It has all of your routing requirements, individual and global effect chains for each sample, MIDI articulations, granular and varispeed time/pitch manipulation and a shitload of really good sounding sample sets included. Of course, it's gonna cost you something for such quality. I was surprised to find it for sale on Zzounds.com for $99. That's way cheaper than I remember it being. Perhaps NI is lowering the price in preparation for a new version.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NINBATTERY

Battery 3 is an excellent drum sampler. It has all of your routing requirements, individual and global effect chains for each sample, MIDI articulations, granular and varispeed time/pitch manipulation and a shitload of really good sounding sample sets included. Of course, it's gonna cost you something for such quality. I was surprised to find it for sale on Zzounds.com for $99. That's way cheaper than I remember it being. Perhaps NI is lowering the price in preparation for a new version.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NINBATTERY

interesting.. i might look into that.

fyi

for the month of july only... you can buy Komplete 5 (NI's 11 software instrument bundle) for $400

an insane deal...

that is a pretty good deal, though i don't think i'm pro enough to spend that much on software!

fyi

for the month of july only... you can buy Komplete 5 (NI's 11 software instrument bundle) for $400

an insane deal...

Yeah I was -this- close to buying it about a week ago, but then I realised I'd probably never use any of it in my set up....

Why don't you use Renoise, since you're already acquainted with the tracker paradigm? Multiple outs + rewire client now aswell. It is not free, but maybe you can even do what you want with the demo version?

buzz is fine as far as a tracker program goes, i just want a vst sampler that i can put into reaper alongside recorded guitar tracks. and i don't really want to muck around with rewire, i'm just looking for something simple!

You can actually use live (line-in/mic) instruments in Buzz with Polac ASIO In - you can then route that into something like CnG recorder if you want to record it.

Or are you talking recording live midi here ? (which you can also do in buzz, though as yet I find it a little fiddly when getting it to record more than one control change at a time.)

You can actually use live (line-in/mic) instruments in Buzz with Polac ASIO In - you can then route that into something like CnG recorder if you want to record it.

Or are you talking recording live midi here ? (which you can also do in buzz, though as yet I find it a little fiddly when getting it to record more than one control change at a time.)

nah, i want to get away from using buzz altogether for my post-rock / shoegaze stuff - i know there's a way to record into buzz but it's probably really fiddly, i'm used to recording in reaper which is freakin' easy, plus reaper has a lot of simple editing functions (eg. fade in/out/crossfade, split/join waves, etc), oh and also my post-rock stuff is 90% recordings of guitar/keys/vocals/etc, usually around 10-15 audio tracks going at once, and would be pretty hard to manage if i couldn't see the waveform and be able to cut it at any point.

and re: midi, i probably won't be recording the drum midi signals (i'm terrible at playing drums hehe), basically all i want is something that will map at least 8 (preferably 16+) samples to keyboard keys and have a separate output for each sample - that way i can program all of my electronic drums in one midi track and apply effects to individual sounds. basically reaper already does all that i want it to do, i just need this one last step so i don't need to use buzz anymore for a simple drum pattern that i'll end up having to change later on ;) .

edit: i'm still using buzz for my idm/chiptune/ambient stuff btw, it's just that i need a bit more control over my recordings for post-rock, hence using reaper.

oh and also my post-rock stuff is 90% recordings of guitar/keys/vocals/etc, usually around 10-15 audio tracks going at once, and would be pretty hard to manage if i couldn't see the waveform and be able to cut it at any point.

Have you seen the audiotrack features in the new versions of Buzz. They're pretty darn helpful for that sort of thing:

audiotrack_patternboxes.png

yeah, i've seen that, it looks pretty cool. still though, i prefer being able to use the mouse to easily shift / layer / crossfade / precisely position/split my recorded tracks.

you don't have to try to sell buzz to me d00d! i've been using it for almost ten years hehe!

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm a keen Reaper user too and use it to mix down basically every track I do! Buzz + Reaper == Awesomeness in every way, I've heard they can be rewired to work together but that all sounds rather complicated.

Archived