IGNORED

The connection has timed out

mcbpete

I'm sure I can't be alone in experiencing this - but I've noticed that over the last year or so an increasing number of - "The connection has timed out - The server at somesiteorother.nets.org.com is taking too long to respond." type messages. I don't think my internet connection is the problem as I just open up a new tab or window and go on some other sites whilst waiting for the first site to 'fix' itself. Is it just the servers that I go on hit a limit and have a bit of a lay down for a bit or are we reaching an internet bottle neck. The worst culprits for me seem to be the BBC iPlayer site, the google map server, and the Amazon image server. Et tu ?

Have you got Firefox 3 / 3.5 + Avira Antivir? I started to get these timeouts immediately when i upgraded finally to Firefox 3. On the Firefox support site people wrote they are having similar problems and most of them had Avira Antivir installed. So there could be some sort of incompatibility problem. I still have not tried to change my antivirus scanner to see if that sorts out the problem. Haven't found a decent free one yet.

Have you got Firefox 3 / 3.5 + Avira Antivir? I started to get these timeouts immediately when i upgraded finally to Firefox 3. On the Firefox support site people wrote they are having similar problems and most of them had Avira Antivir installed. So there could be some sort of incompatibility problem. I still have not tried to change my antivirus scanner to see if that sorts out the problem. Haven't found a decent free one yet.

Intriguing I do indeed run FF 3.5 & Antivir - Although I'm thinking those who actually have made the switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox are gonna have some brains in their head and found out that there's actually better antivirus software than Norton (and it's free !). I'm gonna be staying with Antivir until a better free one comes out...

Guest Babar

The connection has timed out

i've noticed it happens more frequently these days than 2 or 3 years ago.

mhhh....

Apparantly this http://www.eset.com/ has been getting rave reviews for a security product. It's not free, but if you're worried about security it might be worth it....

Or you could try running your browser in a virtual machine...

i never get time out issues ... maybe your local isp is crap and doesn't pay for enough bandwidth on certain connecting main trunks .. maybe your system is riddles with trojan zombie hoards taking advantage of your predilection for free antivirus software (or not updating your windows??).. heh .. or maybe as you say ... not enough resources have been directed for peak load in the UK for the BBC and googlemap sites ....

Guest abusivegeorge

Apparantly this http://www.eset.com/ has been getting rave reviews for a security product. It's not free, but if you're worried about security it might be worth it....

Or you could try running your browser in a virtual machine...

MY PC broke last weekend, got it fixed this weekend just gone, and I am paying for eset security, fuck me guys it's WELL worth it.

However, I clicked on this thread a few minutes before this and my connection timed out lol, this really is something that is always going to happen, like I said I thought it was normal anyway, I'm surprised this seems so new to everyone.

maybe your system is riddles with trojan zombie hoards taking advantage of your predilection for free antivirus software (or not updating your windows??)

No way man, my 'puter is more protected than a village protected by ninjas on top of very high hill armed with poles of chaos and shields of erm, illusions. Yeah, I'm wondering if it's just the high profile sites hit their peak usage quite often... For a while I'd use google.de or .fr instead of the normal .co.uk as they seemed less likely to time out.

[reply made yesterday whilst the site was down]

maybe your system is riddles with trojan zombie hoards taking advantage of your predilection for free antivirus software (or not updating your windows??)

No way man, my 'puter is more protected than a village protected by ninjas on top of very high hill armed with poles of chaos and shields of erm, illusions. Yeah, I'm wondering if it's just the high profile sites hit their peak usage quite often... For a while I'd use google.de or .fr instead of the normal .co.uk as they seemed less likely to time out.

yeah thought as much .. the amount of time you've been with us on this site.. there's no way our pC wouldn't be packing heat .. maybe it's just the UK broadband suffering from too much labour and not enough getting stuff done .. hehehe

Archived