IGNORED

Question about Music & Car battery

thehauntingsoul

Just had a question, I've been wondering for a while and I guess probably should have investigated this earlier but here goes.

So I drive my parents' car around alot as I live with them and like to use the car to go blaze since its not really cool to do it right in front of them. We like to go park in a nice secluded spot, roll the windows down and blast the music while blazing. I am always trying to decide if its better to do this with the engine on or off. Usually I turn the car off, sometimes sit for a little while afterwards so its generally 15 mins to half an hour but sometimes as long as an hour.

I would just leave the car on, but I'm worried that leaving it in neutral for so long is not good for the engine. Not sure where I got this idea from, or if its even true though. So basically, is it worse for the car overall to leave it on or off? How much does the stereo drain the battery?

thx all you watmm car experts!

Here's a bonus pic for helping

spagett.png

also, How the fuck do you use the spoiler tags?

the danger of your battery dying is not huge since it recharges when you drive. leaving your car running while parked and blazing is not a great idea for many reasons.

leave the car off - your battery won't run down for hours just running the stereo and interior light. it does not harm the engine in any way leaving it in neutral.

Guest abusivegeorge

Leave the engine off and the car in neutral, do not sit 1.) With the car on, this does fuck all, and wastes petrol. 2.) With the car in Neutral, leaving the engine running with the car in neutral does harm the car if you do this for more than a couple of minutes, it can wear down the clutch plate (even though you're not using it) and the flywheel.

So if you do happen to get one of these things, and you leave the engine on, try and least remember to leave it in gear, otherwise, try not to get too stoned and remember to turn your engine off.

None of these things should affect the battery in any way whatsoever, as it recharges when you drive it, that is why a battery will only be fucked if you leave the car parked overnight, with the interior light on all night, because the car is not running, the battery is not recharging.

Don't wind the windows down, you'll wear the motor out, any crumbs you find on the carpet, don't put them in the ashtray or you'll get it dirty, eat them.

Guest 277: 930-933

If your battery gets worn out it might become a problem though.

I´ve had a car not start on me after leaving my alarm lights on for less than an hour, it was a diesel so I had to call triple A service to give the battery a jolt, wouldn´t even get going with jumper cables.

Guest ezkerraldean

I would just leave the car on, but I'm worried that leaving it in neutral for so long is not good for the engine. Not sure where I got this idea from, or if its even true though. So basically, is it worse for the car overall to leave it on or off? How much does the stereo drain the battery?

i can't really see how leaving it in neutral will do any shit. no idea about an automatic though.

i killed my car battery with my stereo once. although it was the only battery the car had ever had and the car was 17 years old at the time so maybe i was asking for it.

Here's a bonus pic for helping

spagett.png

thankyou.

Guest ezkerraldean

should probably listen to george actually, for he has a renault 5

So if you do happen to get one of these things, and you leave the engine on, try and least remember to leave it in gear, otherwise, try not to get too stoned and remember to turn your engine off.

leave it in gear? what, holding the clutch down constantly?

Guest theSun

it's not in gear if you're holding down the clutch.

like others have said, turn off the engine to not waste gas.

also: HOTBOX IT

So I drive my parents' car around alot as I live with them and like to use the car to go blaze since its not really cool to do it right in front of them.

You sir, are the textbook definition of chutzpah.

i've killed a brand new battery just playing the radio for 2 hours with the car off. good alternator and all. i would say an hour though would be completely fine because, as everyone says, batteries recharge as you drive again. but yea, no neutral idling.

Guest abusivegeorge

should probably listen to george actually, for he has a renault 5

leave it in gear? what, holding the clutch down constantly?

it's not in gear if you're holding down the clutch.

oh yeah lol

I don't have a Renault 5, I did have one, when I was 17, so about 5 years ago, and also, you fucking penis lol.

So I drive my parents' car around alot as I live with them and like to use the car to go blaze since its not really cool to do it right in front of them.

You sir, are the textbook definition of chutzpah.

i'm surprised nobody mentioned that before you!

Archived