IGNORED

Artificial intelligence playing Mario

chaosmachine

this is wicked. isn't there some big cash prize for whoever can make an AI that can complete super mario bros the quickest?

Guest Space Coyote

Looks like the making of one of those speed run videos

this is wicked. isn't there some big cash prize for whoever can make an AI that can complete super mario bros the quickest?

No, yes depending on how much you value USD$500

Guest Space Coyote

Did it really have to slow down like that?

C-

I think that was just to let people see what's happening. The code runs in real time.

short answer - yes

Guest Space Coyote

Isn't that just, simplifying things... throwing various arc ahead, and if an arc ends up on a list of sprites (all the bad guys) or a hole then change the angle higher ?"

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying but the arcs just show the A.I. program determining all the potential and fastest paths possible by Mario at that particular instance. You can't simply change the angle higher to get a clear path because Mario can only jump and move in a direction while jumping etc so far.

*edit*

Rereading what you're saying, my alternative response is yes, this is just simplifying things and if the program detects a sprite in an arc it will then choose an arc with a clearer path for Mario.

Archived