IGNORED

easily the smartest thing ever said about electronic music

playbynumbers

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the Wagner ring cycle is lyrical, if i might put a fine point on it...lol

lol yeah don't mind me, i have the "wagner ohne lyrik" or whatever, the one without the opera singing over it.

But yeah I'm pretty sure it breaks down to "instrumental lyric is more open to interpretation". For example, Debussy's piece "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" is wide open to an experience, even though it has a title.

But yes obviously a rave is more about creating your own experience than having one described to you. I wish I didn't have to work right now, I could go into some more detail...

yes.

Although, you know what, thinking about it just now as I read your reply....when you're at a rave, and you're tripping or rolling or whatever the fuck you know...the tunes the DJ selects can describe your experience. Like if UT1-DOT comes on or if RObert Miles Children comes on...it's gonna put you in a totally different head space. Still though, electronic music creates an atmosphere or evokes experiences.

By the same token though, if you go to an Allman Brothers Band gig, and they jam out an 11-minute version of Jessica or a 15 minute drum jam with 3 drummers...is that not creating an experience?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and this is in no way directed at PBN). Simon Reynolds is a cunt. The problem is..he's a music critic, not a music fan.

Well the Wagner ring cycle is lyrical, if i might put a fine point on it...lol

lol yeah don't mind me, i have the "wagner ohne lyrik" or whatever, the one without the opera singing over it.

But yeah I'm pretty sure it breaks down to "instrumental lyric is more open to interpretation". For example, Debussy's piece "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" is wide open to an experience, even though it has a title.

But yes obviously a rave is more about creating your own experience than having one described to you. I wish I didn't have to work right now, I could go into some more detail...

yes.

Although, you know what, thinking about it just now as I read your reply....when you're at a rave, and you're tripping or rolling or whatever the fuck you know...the tunes the DJ selects can describe your experience. Like if UT1-DOT comes on or if RObert Miles Children comes on...it's gonna put you in a totally different head space. Still though, electronic music creates an atmosphere or evokes experiences.

By the same token though, if you go to an Allman Brothers Band gig, and they jam out an 11-minute version of Jessica or a 15 minute drum jam with 3 drummers...is that not creating an experience?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and this is in no way directed at PBN). Simon Reynolds is a cunt. The problem is..he's a music critic, not a music fan.

i'll totally concur that there's a spectrum or continuum, and you can't simply demarcate 'experience-creating' from 'not experience-creating', yeah.

i still think the robocop carrying a ghost up a mountain and lasers and shit is the smartest thing said about electronic music.

well, that was about idm, not electronic music. it's the smartest thing ever said about idm!

Archived