IGNORED

Alan Wake (PC & 360)

karmakramer

They spent a lot of time and money on avatar too and it sucked my dick.

As I said, the game might have a great atmosphere, it might be fun to play and revolutionary on some gaming points but the general feeling I got from watching the trailer was it looks like a second grade tv drama.

and Im sure the developers would agree with you... ever seen the show twin peaks..?

not to say twin peaks is second grade, but stylistically its going for that kind of "feeling"

edit: also, sounds like you got your money's worth with avatar :whistling:

I love twin peaks. And I see no direct connection as TP is kinda arty and this is a bit far from art.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joshier

I'm all for games becoming movie-like. What other medium in the world stops you from reading/watching all the content if you can't pass a challenge, you bought it after all.

I'm all for games becoming movie-like. What other medium in the world stops you from reading/watching all the content if you can't pass a challenge, you bought it after all.

Yes, but Tetris, Tetris is really good and unfilmy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GTjwgrrQwU

"burn away the darkness with light"

what kind of cheesy shit is that?

yeah right let's take an element from Silent Hill and build some stupid American AAA vampire/zombie/or-is-it-just-a-dream bullshit around it.

What does 'burn away the darkness with light' have to do with Silent Hill?

nothing. the torch - everything. The voicing of this announcer dude was just highly unbearable.

also LOL at "licensed songs to create a strong atmosphere" with Nickelback playing and a US gunship flying.

"to make sure that every player is provided with an optimal gameplay experience" - what, is this a whirl pool?

it kinda keeps baffling me how people are really into obscure musics and/or films but will buy the silliest hardcore crap in the form of a overhyped game?

lol how is this over-hyped? I thought the same things about Heavy Rain (crappy TV drama) before I played it, but I am glad I allowed myself to try it because it's awesome.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

LOL at "licensed songs to create a strong atmosphere" with Nickelback playing and a US gunship flying.

what the fuck..... :facepalm:

there better be a Nickelback kill switch

Guest joshier

i don't actually like games all that much, thats why i liked half life 2 because it was less of a game and more of a movie.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

i don't actually like games all that much, thats why i liked half life 2 because it was less of a game and more of a movie.

you should just watch movies with a Nintendo controller in your hand and pretend like your playing, or just go play heavy rain/final fantasy lol

you should just watch movies with a Nintendo controller in your hand and pretend like your playing, or just go play heavy rain/final fantasy lol

I haven't played heavy rain, but it looks kind of silly. 99% of games with stories are on rails... what makes Half Life 2 and some other games soo good, is they make you feel like you aren't on rails. I think Alan Wake will be one of those games.

i get the impression when i play practically any new FPS game that it basically a guided tour/movie RPG game in wrapping paper 'on rails' , am i playing the wrong games?

even the 'sandbox' games like GTA have quite a lot of forced pushing you through a movie plot type of gameplay

i get the impression when i play practically any new FPS game that it basically a guided tour/movie RPG game in wrapping paper 'on rails' , am i playing the wrong games?

even the 'sandbox' games like GTA have quite a lot of forced pushing you through a movie plot type of gameplay

no your spot on, but I think games like Halo CE (when it first came out, now is outdated) and Half Life 2 provide a game on rails, but with enough atmosphere and tension to keep you feeling like you are in command and are exploring the terrain of the world yourself, on your own terms.

yeah, with half life 2 the first few times i played it i thought i was actually figuring out alternate paths and solutions to each of the puzzles. i felt like i was coming up with my own solutions lol, mayb i was just high

Guest Gary C

I've been really interested in this game. Even had it on pre-order for a while.

But is there really some Nickelback in it? That's not cool, and I won't buy it if so.

• 3 weeks later...
So far, Alan Wake is looking to be a surefire Game of the Year contender. Its dark and eerie atmosphere will get me playing through the game all night. Since I’m only past the first episode of the game, I am excited to see what’s in store for me for the next episodes to come. Check back with us on May 5th for our exclusive coverage and review of Alan Wake
Way too early for talk like that, but the first Episode is very, very good.
If night one is an indicator I'm going to need a chill down after Alan Wake sessions before trying to lie down and sleep. Intense
Some of these items are also treated as collectibles and can be missed, especially if the player is too caught up in running from the game's shadowy figures. Completists will need to play the game at least twice since some items are only available in the initially-locked Nightmare difficulty setting.
The use of music so far has been the biggest surprise: great soundtrack.
I hit an area on Alan Wake that pushes the 360 graphically more than I have ever seen. ****ing impressive

.... I dont say stuff like that very often.

alan-wake1.jpg

I can't believe that it's been almost 5 years since they announced this game. Btw. a Spanish gaming magazine have already published their review and gave it 93%

Guest Fishtank

I've been watching those little videos on Xbox live and it looks like they actually put a lot of work into the story

this some what piques my interest

I can't believe that it's been almost 5 years since they announced this game. Btw. a Spanish gaming magazine have already published their review and gave it 93%

Awesome!

Another quote from a preview:

In fact, I can honestly say that even just working through the game's first episode, I jumped and startled more than I have in any game since Condemned: Criminal Origins.

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/009155.php

More impressions, this time from G4TV

Andrew: I had to turn it off right after the incident at the cabin, but only because I had to play another game for preview -- otherwise I would have kept playing for sure. It was one of those instances where I resented having to do my job. Feel sorry for me, please.

Sterling: Going into the first chapter of the game blind, I had no idea what to expect beyond a supernatural bent. I'm glad that's how I experienced it. Because frankly, it scared the crap out of me. I honestly can't remember the last time I've been this weirded out by a game. Perhaps Dead Space?

Jake: This game is gorgeous, and the lighting effects (blinding mid-day sun, long-shadowy dusks, moon-beam tinted nights, etc.) are simply stunning. And then there’s the sound. Sweet Lord. If you have a sound system, crank it and play in total darkness, because this is, so far, one of the most unnerving and joyously frightening games I’ve ever played, and a lot of that is because of the sound design

Alan Wake is definitely art, and is well written enough to keep my wife and I on the edge of our seats from beginning to end. If I can admit something, and give Alan Wake the biggest compliment I can bestow, I’d tell you that I had a nightmare about the game the night after I completed it. No horror game has ever managed that feat or even come close. It may have taken them five years to kick it out of the door, but Remedy has created a masterpiece. 95/100

-Gamingtrend

If there were a game version of Twin Peaks, it would be Alan Wake. The great Pacific Northwest is a magnificently eerie backdrop for a horror story coming to life. It paces the combat and slower moments well, and it's nice not to have to fight every fight: running away works just as good. The overdone narrator voice gets annoying at times, but luckily Alan's musings lessen towards the end of the game. 87/100

-Pelit (Finland)

-

Most reviews will be up within the hour... the embargo ends then. I can't fucking wait to play this.

Archived