IGNORED

Pitchfork's Autobukakke Decade Recap

Overand

Guest zaphod

It's ironic because Pitchfork haven't been relevant at all this decade.

lol

you know this is bullshit.

they've been pretty relevant as far as making bands they like succeed. i'd say they're the most powerful online music review site ever. whether you like them is another thing, but there's no denying their influence.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

It's ironic because Pitchfork haven't been relevant at all this decade.

lol

you know this is bullshit.

they've been pretty relevant as far as making bands they like succeed. i'd say they're the most powerful online music review site ever. whether you like them is another thing, but there's no denying their influence.

No, you're absolutely right actually.

Guest Iain C

At least this reminded me about LCD Soundsystem

I was listening to my LCD records the other day as it happens. I can't remember which was a present from you and which was from Dan!

Guest Iain C

Sorry, sometimes I forget not to be an arsehole all the time on WATMM. But I've never understood why so many WATMMers don't know anyone else who listens to AFX/BoC/Autechre or whatever, they're all well-known if not well-liked artists amongst the majority of my friends and extended social circle...

And pitchfork in particular have always reviewed BoC's music and rated it pretty highly if I recall. When I was first getting into BoC, guess where I was reading about them?

Yeah Pitchfork gave MHTRTC reissue a perfect score but judging by their actual review of the album it doesn't sound like they listened to it very much, to me it was just jumping on the bandwagon of praise that album was receiving from AMG and other critics. (But probably mostly because of AllMusicGuide, Pitchfork's reviews almost always mirror AMG's)

That's nonsense, the reviewer is clearly familiar with the album and with BoC. A review of a reissue is always going to spend more time looking at a record's context and cultural impact, just because this guy doesn't describe every track doesn't mean he's just ripping it off from AMG. :rolleyes:

Guest Gary C

At least this reminded me about LCD Soundsystem

I was listening to my LCD records the other day as it happens. I can't remember which was a present from you and which was from Dan!

Mine had the black and white sleeve. 'Yeah' remixes, I think.

Nope. It was yellow actually

Guest Iain C

They all have black (dark green) sleeves...

God the album was such a disappointment. Second one was better. I think I'm going to listen to that.

Guest Iain C

Boards of Canada are definitely the easy listening end of the electronic spectrum.

It's true.

Boards of Canada are definitely the easy listening end of the electronic spectrum.

lol

Oh man.

I've been reading pitchfork's "P2K" decade recap this week and, while it's a step down from Y2K or even Will2K, I'm enjoying the predictability of their aging-hipster taste. It gets funnier and more enraging as it approaches #1.

http://pitchfork.com/p2k/

Also, if anyone is taking bets, based on the list so far I'm guessing they're going to put either Hey Ya or Idioteque in the #1 spot.

why does anything pitchfork/richdork media says does or even so much as infers matter to you?@!# give me an honest answer, plz.

because they're the most prominent legitimate music reviewing entity in existence (in print or online); and because, despite their douchebaggery, they have generally good taste in music, with many extremely hilarious exceptions

Guest Enter a new display name

Many artists should be thankful to Pitchfork for promoting them with highly rated reviews. For instance, I am sure The Field would have no success at all if it was not for his debut album that got a 9.0 out of 10 score on Pitchfork. I don't really have other examples of "Pitchfork artists", since I don't check this website really often...

Guest Hanratty

I mean when you think about it, has music even been all that good in the past 10 years? We've had some pretty decent hip-hop, and there's been some really good electronic artists, but we've also had incredible amounts of shit like shitty 80's revival synthpop.

I agree with this. It could be my age (30) but I have been much more interested in reissues for the past 3-4 years than new stuff. The reissues of the past 10 years have been phenomenal.

Guest Hanratty

I mean when you think about it, has music even been all that good in the past 10 years? We've had some pretty decent hip-hop, and there's been some really good electronic artists, but we've also had incredible amounts of shit like shitty 80's revival synthpop.

I agree with this. It could be my age (30) but I have been much more interested in reissues for the past 3-4 years than new stuff. The reissues of the past 10 years have been phenomenal.

I don't think it's your age, I'm 17 and I reckon the best music I've heard came out of the 80's and 90's.

Also check out the 60's and 70's young hobbit. for example, Can and King Tubby

Radiohead was #8 and that song was influenced by Autechre I'm pretty sure. So there you go, it all comes back to Autechre.

IN the naughts as well as the quality hip-hop and electronic there's also been a return of the singer-songwriter/folksy type with people like Will Oldham (Bonnie "Prince" Billy), THe Mountain Goats (who released an ass-ton of music before the naught, I know, but gained popularity through the internet), Devandra Banhart (who i don't really care for, even though I can see the appeal for some) and so on.

Rock music has taken its lumps for sure this decade, but there's been some shit that's halfway decent. Panda Bear, Here We Go Magic spring to mind immediately Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Walkmen...

I suppose if you're only getting into old music now, then it might seem more alive, but you know music works in circles right?

this list is shit because of espousing so much praise for pop crap like Crazy In Love and for saying that 99 Problems is better than Dirt Off Your Shoulder.

Archived