IGNORED

derren brown predicts lottery numbers

Guest elliotjking

Guest elliotjking

Did anyone here just see derren brown predict five of six lottery numbers live on channel 4

I am sitting here, mouth agape. he is a god among men

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this quote from where he was asked about his russian roulette stunt pretty much sums up what we should think about anything he does ...

Brown himself defended the programme, saying, "It probably sounds odd. But as a magic-related performer, to have that even being asked: Was it real? Was it not real? That lifts it to a level that I'm very comfortable with. What's left is the fact that it was a terrific piece of television."

terrifically boring piece of television imO

Guest Coalbucket PI

he can't have predicted the numbers so I can only assume he somehow arranged for his prediction balls in his studio that he 'couldn't show us' to be changed as the numbers were being drawn. I don't think that would be too hard to do.

Didn't see it, but I'll wildly speculate that the BBC has a slight delay that he could exploit or that he used some tele-trickery to pick every number and simply edit them together in the right order as they came out.

how was this lotto thing set up? he just called out the numbers as they were being drawn?

Here it is (hopefully it'll work in your country):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIzR6GNAXw

And it was indeed a live link to the other channel (well milliseconds out anyway) as we had two TV sets in the room showing each channel.

Clearly its impossible to predict the lottery numbers ... so ...

Although the white balls to the left of the screen appear to be in shot all of the time, I guess the only way this could be done is with some sort of camera trick. e.g. freeze the left hand side of the screen to a static image, while someone creeps on and sticks the correct balls in the holder. There is a little bit of camera-shake to contend with, but thats not much of a problem these days.

But the thing is, as he's going to explain it on Friday (and that apparently we'll be able to try it ourselves) I doubt the explanation is going to be - get yourself a really good dual camera setup, buy some motion tracking software and bob's your uncle....

Oh Derren with your mysteries and tricksies.

Guest elliotjking

I just have this mental image of whoever owns / runs the lottery watching the clip again and again whilst gently murmuring "hooolleeee shit"

Maybe it took him a year to discover that the National Lottery is rigged.

It's too improbable. The camera shake is almost certainly intentional to make us believe that nothing could possibly be going on with the balls. There's no other reason why they wouldn't use a tripod.*

I'm interested though, sadly I'll miss Friday's show too. So if everyone ends up winning the Saturday lottery I'm going to be fucking livid.

* Fuck tripods even. Channel 4 use those massive camera suits with a pendulum weight that let the camera-man walk with minimal shaking.

Archived