IGNORED

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

Atop

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like shit.

... just kidding. I really want to see it.

Guest Mirezzi

I fear I'll hate this. I think I'm pretty much the polar opposite of Atop. There is a 99% chance he will gush over this movie and pretty much a 99% chance I will hate it. :pedobear:

P.S. - The trailers suck and make me want to punch the nearest Arcade Fire groupie.

i really have no desire to see this whatsoever. im guessing nostalgia is the main reason a good amount of people are clamoring to see it?

Guest Mirezzi

Well, that brings up another point...did people really care that much about this shit when they were kids?

This story bored me to tears. That's probably gonna get my stoned to death by the WATMM massif, but seriously, totally overrated storytelling.

theres nothing wrong with nostalgia per se, its just that this book did nothing to me when i was a kid. now if they did a film version of 'scary stories to tell in the dark' id be all over it. id like to see spike jonze do that one instead.

theres nothing wrong with nostalgia per se, its just that this book did nothing to me when i was a kid. now if they did a film version of 'scary stories to tell in the dark' id be all over it. id like to see spike jonze do that one instead.

I'd be down for that

I like movies with puppets.

and

it is all about the art, in the book, Mr Mirezzi....not the story

the newer trailer is better than the first...I agree the first trailer stunk

I want to escape when I see films and this is supposedly a transportation device to being 9 again, in film form...

I hope we can gush over this together, for once!

and for fuck's sake man, I love your films!

:pedobear:

Ultradown!

but not sure in Jonze would be the director....

but I still say the art is what 'Where The Wild Things Are' is all about...

the story was never meant to be something more than simple...

Sendak's design is beautiful imo

Guest Mirezzi

Well, Cody, as I'm sure you've gathered through the years, I follow the maxim of "The lower the expectations, the better."

I hope they're wrong, too, so we can cuddle!

Cool. Will hopefully go see this.

11th December in the UK?! I would've actually paid to see this too. Now it's just too easy to pirate it. Retards.

Well, that brings up another point...did people really care that much about this shit when they were kids?

This story bored me to tears. That's probably gonna get my stoned to death by the WATMM massif, but seriously, totally overrated storytelling.

lol? its a childrens book

Well, Cody, as I'm sure you've gathered through the years, I follow the maxim of "The lower the expectations, the better."

I hope they're wrong, too, so we can cuddle!

Yeah,you are right...I should expect less from this film, starting now...

worked with your films, because I thought I would hate them....

with our differing opinions and all...and I was wrong

at least we agree on that...

and new Lightning Bolt is WOH!!!!!! :w00t:

its a childrens book

that is what I was trying to say, thanks for the succinctness....

this was incredibly difficult for me to watch, because i had very high expectations and wanted to love it. i was expecting some kind of trip back to my childhood, and instead i got taken on an unfortunately eggersian analysis of a nine year old's id. it was frequently bizarre, often boring, almost always beautiful. so i don't even know if i liked it. i'm going to have to watch it again because it was either terrible or very good. i just don't think an art film that doesn't know what its trying to say is as successful as what i thought i'd be watching...

i should probably add that a similar film, spirited away, moved me to tears. and that was equally weird. i think it's a matter of the insularity of max's character. i read a lot of reviews for this one that said they left the theater feeling this real remorse and sense of loss relating to childhood. i didn't get that at all. there were some well done scenes that managed to walk the tightrope of conveying a child's sense of wonder to an audience of mostly adults, but i found the film too emotionally distant and intellectualized to have any effect on me. and so the ending felt very forced. i blame a lot of this on dave eggers, since the direction was fantastic. and the music really didn't help things; karen o should never be allowed near a film.

yeah, now they don't. but advance praise had built this up a lot. i actually don't care for the book, but i was expecting that to not matter since the book is all of nine sentences long.

there's one review that said this movie is basically "a nine year old working out his shit", and that's very accurate. there were so many obvious eggers bits too...the obsession with violence, chaos, sort of primal behavior toward loved ones. it felt very much like spike jonze had to take a backseat to a Writer, just like he's had to do with charlie kaufman. which is really unfortunate, because dude is incredibly talented.

i'm probably making this movie sound a lot more interesting than it is. it's basically just some puppets running around, throwing each other at things, crying, running, building a big sphere, crying, then it ends.

Guest Mirezzi

Thanks for the review, zaphod. I know this will sound arrogant, but I intuited a bit of what you described from the trailer alone. :facepalm:

Yeah,you are right...I should expect less from this film, starting now...

worked with your films, because I thought I would hate them....

with our differing opinions and all...and I was wrong

at least we agree on that...

Did you really? That's awesome. Glad to disappoint, sailor. (Really, thank you.) :braindance:

Archived