IGNORED

Net Neutrality

Hautlle

So yesterday the FCC decided to approve a notice for rule making in the area of net neutrality. Basically they've decided they want to move forward with net neutrality. Obviously the big ISP's are against this, but now John McCain is against it as well... I am all for net neutrality. Now in an idealistic world we wouldn't ned it, but I think everyone agrees that we can't exactly expect big corporations to do the right thing. Comcast and AT&T have already been in hot water with the FCC for it The fact that without net neutrality, ISP's could block your access to sites and slow your connection down for using things like P2P. I got into an argument with a couple people yesterday who are totally against net neutrality and they kept saying how Glenn Beck has said it's bad and they're against it, and how the FCC will decide what site you can see blah blah blah. I can't believe this shit! What's your opinion WATMM? Plus I know this has been an issue in Europe lately as well, whats going on on that front?

I love how John McCain called his bill the "Internet Freedom Act." What a cack..

yeah, it's crazy.

"Using the Republicans' favorite phrase of late -- 'government takeover' -- McCain said net neutrality would stifle competition and hurt the job market."

how is allowing all sites to be equally visited gonna stifle competition? looks like someone got paid off by at&t...

The fact that without net neutrality, ISP's could block your access to sites and slow your connection down for using things like P2P.

That's been pretty much happening for a lot of UK ISPs for a few years now (the bold'd bit anyways)

It's a complicated and multi-faceted issue, but I am essentially for net neutrality; at least getting the ball rolling.

The ironic thing about it is that libertarians, including the magazine Wired, are very for net neutrality even though it will establish government regulation. I also like how the debate has essentially brought out corrupt Democrats, who are siding with the anti-net neutrality Republicans (who think they're doing the right thing). It is a series of tubes after all.

The fact that without net neutrality, ISP's could block your access to sites and slow your connection down for using things like P2P.

That's been pretty much happening for a lot of UK ISPs for a few years now (the bold'd bit anyways)

ya, I thought I had seen that mentioned around here before. I like how the FCC told comcast that it was illegal for them to do so. Is europe trying to implement net neutrality though? I swear I read something about how the fight has been going on for a while

It's a complicated and multi-faceted issue, but I am essentially for net neutrality; at least getting the ball rolling.

The ironic thing about it is that libertarians, including the magazine Wired, are very for net neutrality even though it will establish government regulation. I also like how the debate has essentially brought out corrupt Democrats, who are siding with the anti-net neutrality Republicans (who think they're doing the right thing). It is a series of tubes after all.

That is an interesting point, especially when Glenn Beck claims to be a libertarian and is so against the idea. Like I said previously, if we could trust big business to not fuck us over I would be against it as well, because I believe the less government the better. Comcast and AT&T however have already shown us what they're all about: THEM DUCKETS!

72 Democrats of both the Blue Dog Dems and the Congressional Black Caucus are officially on the fence and not 100% for it. One is Texas rep Sheila Jackson-Lee, who is a complete idiot and probably lobbied hard to be against it, as she expressed earlier.

Unlike the Republican politians, I think Beck might sincerely see being against net neutrality as a "libertarian" ideal, but from a very naive and uninformed perspective. He's suddenly embracing Ron Paul-esque anti-war rhetoric now that Obama is in office, but this stance is a bad tactic to gain more fans.

As a libertarian leaning person myself, it's yet another annoying hijacking of an issue by the misguided GOP. In an ideal world, we wouldn't need net neutrality...nor healthcare regulation. But we do, and I rather take a efficient minimal approach by the government in monitoring those issues than a complete overtaking and nationalization by the government. Because seriously, the Republicans (and some Dems) opposed to net neutrality aren't anti-government anarchists, they're just in bed with corporations.

net neutrality is simply the shaping of public opinion by the government, no "libertarian" or "libertarian-leaning" person could possibly be for it. i can make up my own mind about the content on the internet, i don't need anyone else making my mind up for me or deciding what i can and cannot look at.

net neutrality is simply the shaping of public opinion by the government, no "libertarian" or "libertarian-leaning" person could possibly be for it. i can make up my own mind about the content on the internet, i don't need anyone else making my mind up for me or deciding what i can and cannot look at.

i don't understand. that last sentence implies that you would be for net neutrality, but the first one says that you would not. which is it?

Archived