IGNORED

Tekken 6

chaosmachine

Thoughts?

I bought the PS3 version, with the arcade stick.

I was playing lots of t5dr, but kind of sucked without a stick. Trying to regain some of my skills now.

I'm disappointed with the graphics. The game only runs in 720p, and it's being upscaled just to meet that resolution. So on a 1080p monitor, it gets upscaled twice. Giant, blurry pixels.. Compared to the crisp, native 1080p of t5dr, it's ugly.

The arcade stick is good, though.

Also, if you have this on PS3, post your handle, so I can destroy you with Law ;p

Thoughts?

I bought the PS3 version, with the arcade stick.

I was playing lots of t5dr, but kind of sucked without a stick. Trying to regain some of my skills now.

I'm disappointed with the graphics. The game only runs in 720p, and it's being upscaled just to meet that resolution. So on a 1080p monitor, it gets upscaled twice. Giant, blurry pixels.. Compared to the crisp, native 1080p of t5dr, it's ugly.

The arcade stick is good, though.

Also, if you have this on PS3, post your handle, so I can destroy you with Law ;p

HOLY SHIT, Chaos - I didn't know you have a PS3!!!!

I *was* going to get T6 plus the stick, but the video game budget was blown this month with Katamari Forever, Mini Ninjas, and Uncharted 2 - next month is looking even more bleak with Modern Warfare 2, etc.

How's the wireless on the stick? It uses a 2.4Gzh dongle and not Bluetooth, right?

My son and I play T5dr all the time - we should match up - perhaps my Dragunov/Lily and my son's Yoshimitsu/Eddie will give your law a run for your money :emotawesomepm9:

And put yer damn handle in your profile!

Also, I thought that the PS3 changed the monitor resolution when it goes into game mode to fit the game's native resolution (so if a game runs in 1080p, and the monitor supports it, it will run in 1080p vs 720p running in 720p.

The resolution thing is even weirder - in Wipeout HD, the resolution changes dynamically to keep the framerate up...

Tekken 6 outputs a 720p signal, but internally the resolution is really 1024x576. Combined with the 720p to 1080p conversion the TV does, it's almost youtube quality.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=113686

The stick has a USB dongle, it seems to work pretty well.

Tekken 6 outputs a 720p signal, but internally the resolution is really 1024x576. Combined with the 720p to 1080p conversion the TV does, it's almost youtube quality.

Very interesting article linked from that link:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-not-so-high-definition-article

Really puts the whole "runs in HD" into perspective.

wtf is katamari forever, i didnt hear about that one

Katamari Forever is the new PS3 version of Katamari Damaci and We Love Katamari - a greatest hits, if you will, wrapped in a new storyline and a few new stages. If you're bored of Katamari, stay away - if you like the idea and like playing Katamari in HD*, then it's a must have, and I got it at newegg.com for only 40USD. It's normally 50USD.

*well, depending on that article, lol

Apparently you can turn off the motion blur effect to increase the actual resolution on Tekken 6, but gains nothing in image quality - in fact, they attest the motion blur version appears to be sharper and contain more detail.

alisa seems incredibly strong

me and my buddy played it for a couple hours last night

Yeah, she's one of the new characters I want to learn - that exploding head and chainsaw arms are crazy!

one of the only positive things i can say about tekken is that their opening cinematics and motion capturing in game even as far back as 10 years ago still exceed most attempts at CGI humans in anything. When i first saw the Arnold CGI in Terminator Salvation it instantly took me back to how much better looking the cgi was in the opening credits to the game.

i won't do my spiel on why i think Tekken ruined arcade fighting games forever, but come on how long did they keep the 'stand still to block' feature in it, Far to fucking long

one of the only positive things i can say about tekken is that their opening cinematics and motion capturing in game even as far back as 10 years ago still exceed most attempts at CGI humans in anything. When i first saw the Arnold CGI in Terminator Salvation it instantly took me back to how much better looking the cgi was in the opening credits to the game.

i won't do my spiel on why i think Tekken ruined arcade fighting games forever, but come on how long did they keep the 'stand still to block' feature in it, Far to fucking long

Tekken NEVER had "stand still to block" - and this is from someone who played Tekken 1 in the arcades, then later on a Japanese PS1. It was always "pull in the opposite direction", like most fighting games.

Tekken NEVER had "stand still to block" - and this is from someone who played Tekken 1 in the arcades, then later on a Japanese PS1. It was always "pull in the opposite direction", like most fighting games.

from what i remember you can pull in the opposite direction but you automatically block if you also stand still, i am not 100% sure because i was never a fan

Standing still (neutral stick) will block mid and high, but low and grab aren't blocked. Some attacks will break through neutral guard after the first hit, though.

I guess some machines have neutral blocking disabled, but none I ever played.

I used to beat people one handed in college. They'd never want to play me again.. lol

There are 3 types of Guard in Tekken:

Standing Guard (hold B)

This is that way that you will be blocking most attacks. By holding B you will be able to block high and mid level attacks, but will be hit by low attacks, throws, and unblockables.

Crouching Guard (hold D/B)

By holding D/B, you will be able to guard against low attacks and duck high attacks/throws, but you will be hit by mid level attacks and certain characters crouch throws. It is not recommended to duck often or without reason, as generally most launchers and heavy damaging attacks are mid.

Neutral Guard (Hold no direction, or N)

Neutral guard is essentially the same thing as high guard. If you are not hitting a direction or a button, you will be considered to be in neutral guard. However, the difference is if you are neutral guarding, many attack strings will break through your guard after the first hit, so most of the time you want to use B to guard. Some people find that using neutral guard makes it easier to punish after an attack, since they don't have to move the stick from B to a different direction to execute their attack.

Standing still (neutral stick) will block mid and high, but low and grab aren't blocked. Some attacks will break through neutral guard after the first hit, though.

I guess some machines have neutral blocking disabled, but none I ever played.

I used to beat people one handed in college. They'd never want to play me again.. lol

There are 3 types of Guard in Tekken:

Standing Guard (hold B)

This is that way that you will be blocking most attacks. By holding B you will be able to block high and mid level attacks, but will be hit by low attacks, throws, and unblockables.

Crouching Guard (hold D/B)

By holding D/B, you will be able to guard against low attacks and duck high attacks/throws, but you will be hit by mid level attacks and certain characters crouch throws. It is not recommended to duck often or without reason, as generally most launchers and heavy damaging attacks are mid.

Neutral Guard (Hold no direction, or N)

Neutral guard is essentially the same thing as high guard. If you are not hitting a direction or a button, you will be considered to be in neutral guard. However, the difference is if you are neutral guarding, many attack strings will break through your guard after the first hit, so most of the time you want to use B to guard. Some people find that using neutral guard makes it easier to punish after an attack, since they don't have to move the stick from B to a different direction to execute their attack.

LOL, I just can't see using that - you're constantly moving in Tekken (I love plane switching and attacking from the sides), so I really couldn't see how someone could keep 'neutral' and not get hit after the initial blow.

I thought watmm would be full of hardcore Tekken players. :\

Good news, they're patching online!

TEKKEN® 6 ONLINE UPDATE COMING SOON

To improve the online game experience for players of TEKKEN® 6 on Xbox 360™ and PlayStation® 3, NAMCO BANDAI Games is developing a downloadable update which will be available as soon as it has passed rigorous testing procedures.

More details regarding the content of the update and the timing of its release will be announced as soon as possible.

This update is separate from the online co-op Scenario Campaign mode download which is scheduled for release this winter.

Thanks for playing TEKKEN 6, and keep on fighting.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/04/tekken-6-online-patch-in-the-works-says-namco/

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I always preferred VF to Tekken.

Why does powder paint appear when you hit your opponent in Tekken?

I always preferred Street Fighter over 'em all Dan-Mini-Yoyushi.gif

This is the first Tekken game I have ever played, it's quite good, still prefer Street Fighter but this has been growing on me the last couple of days. Too many characters though, it's a little bit ridiculous.

Just beat scenario mode. Much better than I expected. It's pretty much a real game unto itself.

Did you unlock the hidden stages as well, like the Nightmare Train? Pain in the ass. I particularly don't like scenario mode, just because it reminds me of a poor late 90's brawler, when there were better ones than this at the time (perhaps not graphically).

Also, have you managed to beat Nancy? damn laser keeps cutting a hole in the floor and I inadvertently fall though...

Archived