IGNORED

Switzerland votes to ban Mosque Towers

chaosmachine

sqlf1l.jpg

Swiss voters appear to have defied their Government and churches today and approved a national ban on the construction of minarets.

Early results showed that 57 per cent of voters had backed the proposal, ensuring international embarrassment for Switzerland and a possible backlash in the Muslim world. A majority of the 27 cantons supported the move, according to partial results.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6936802.ece

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when this was proposed a while ago, Stephen Colbert said something like "The rule of fair government should never be undermined by religious symbols. Especially the government of a country with a big cross on its flag".

no no no, you guys are getting it all wrong. it's nothing to do with religious intolerance. the swiss are just a very prudish people and minarets are quite... phallic.

Guest abusivegeorge

no no no, you guys are getting it all wrong. it's nothing to do with religious intolerance. the swiss are just a very prudish people and minarets are quite... phallic.

QFT

apparently there's only 4/5 minarets in switzerland anyway, and they aren't used for the call to prayer, so i don't see the problem. Plus they must have known this was gonna happen when they accepted all those refugees from bosnia.

People voted. They decided.

It's not right, culturally, but it's a decision you have to stand behind as a supporter of free-speech. Sure, there's fear and propaganda involved, I recognise that. I'm not racist or anti-Islamic, but the polarisation between these religions will continue as long as they're vilified by the leading governments and media.

It's a sad state of affairs.

As a side-note, who really gives a fuck about Denmark or Switzerland? They have no political sway and resort to these sort of acts in order to gain global exposure.

Frankly I think dialogue will only digress further downwards from this point and we should be focusing on the real issue at hand, namely the secret Jewish batcave under the Alps.

Guest ezkerraldean

i could understand them if mosques came to dominate the Swiss skyline and Switzerland stopped looking like Switzerland and shit. i'm all for the When In Rome idea. but this is insane paranoia, worse than the shit the BNP stir. there must be like 10 muslims in Switzerland and i'm pretty sure the majority of them will have integrated into Swiss society purely based on how small a minority they are.

and that picture on the BBC site of one of the handful of Swiss minarets - it was actually quite pretty. they should keep that one.

and that picture on the BBC site of one of the handful of Swiss minarets - it was actually quite pretty. they should keep that one.

they're banning the construction of more. they're keeping the ones already there.

This is fucked up beyond belief... what complete fascism

it's funny that you call it facism, because it's what the people voted for.

"Fascist governments forbid and suppress openness and opposition"

It doesn't matter if one leader decided this or a majority (57% in this case) supported this... this law specifically suppresses the celebration and cultural growth of a minority living in the country. It's racist and its goal is clearly to prevent a muslim community from ever growing in the community. It's like saying I don't like the way black people look, so I am going to ban black people.

I find the argument of this purely being based off architecture to be absurd as well... it's like banning a certain form of art.

Here are some examples of Mosque Towers currently in Switzerland...

800px-Moschee_Wangen_bei_Olten.jpg

436px-Mahmud_Moschee1.jpg

This is fucked up beyond belief... what complete fascism

it's funny that you call it facism, because it's what the people voted for.

"Fascist governments forbid and suppress openness and opposition"

It doesn't matter if one leader decided this or a majority (57% in this case) supported this... this law specifically suppresses the celebration and cultural growth of a minority living in the country. It's racist and its goal is clearly to prevent a muslim community from ever growing in the community. It's like saying I don't like the way black people look, so I am going to ban black people.

I find the argument of this purely being based off architecture to be absurd as well... it's like banning a certain form of art.

Here are some examples of Mosque Towers currently in Switzerland...

800px-Moschee_Wangen_bei_Olten.jpg

436px-Mahmud_Moschee1.jpg

look pretty shitty to me, i see what they mean now

hahah :rhubear3:

Archived