IGNORED

Anyone else into trekking, scrambling etc?

Guest Conor74

Guest ezkerraldean

i fucking love walking obscene distances through remote, rugged terrain while wearing my awesome steelie boots and my rain-hat trilby, and carrying a flagon of cider.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trekking.

I do alot of roaming since scotland has the right to roam law (The right to walk anywear) Reform act in 2003 but the views I like more are abandoned buildings or derelict places it the middle of no wear, not like what opacity do in america but something simalar as at moment am traceing the old railways that Doctor Beeching closed in the 50s round my area.

Rushup Edge is about half an hour from me.

Of course i'm into trekking, especially in mushroom season!

Pennines ftw :lol:

Pennie bun mushrooms ftw if you like them (I dont like any mushrooms) but if you do come across death cap mushrooms then ffs stand on it and kill it asap and dont eat any of them it cus it will fucking kill ya

Guest Conor74

As said, it is good clean fun! It's nice getting to the top of a ridge, ledge, mountain, whatever, and having such an awesome panoramic view of the world around you. Nothing like it, really. What's nice about the whole experience too is that you leave all your problems behind. You're so focused on what you're doing, enjoying the scenery, conversing with whoever you're hiking with, etc. it's just a very liberating experience.

Yep, that's it.

Trekking around is great when you get views like this.

Nice pics. Where is that? This is my part of the world...

3675086735_0124484953_b.jpg

3446487717_2273fa3cb9_b.jpg

3447234122_1d4fccf50d_b.jpg

Guest Conor74

That's stunning.

It's the cliffs around Boscastle, Cornwall.

Ah, hard to beat a good cliff!

It is stunning around here (Killarney, Co. Kerry is the town at the foot of the mountain in the second pic). On the other hand, the clubbing scene is a bit weak...but loads of hippies and the odd rave!

Edited by Conor74

That's stunning.

It's the cliffs around Boscastle, Cornwall.

Ah, hard to beat a good cliff!

It is stunning around here (Killarney, Co. Kerry is the town at the foot of the mountain in the second pic). On the other hand, the clubbing scene is a bit weak...but loads of hippies and the odd rave!

Ah, fuck the clubbing scene. If I go away I go away more to chillax and take in scenery like that than to go out on the razz.

Cheers though! I've been looking for an ideal place to take a friend in Ireland! And myself of course, never been to Ireland. Looks like that will be spot on!

Guest Conor74

Cheers though! I've been looking for an ideal place to take a friend in Ireland! And myself of course, never been to Ireland. Looks like that will be spot on!

If you like hikes or the outdoor life, Killarney is ideal. The town itself is a bit touristy (loads of accomodation and pubs mind), but the famous lakes and National Park are only a few miles away, with lots of walks ranging from very easy lakeside and trails through woods stuff to the highest mountain in this country, with plenty of good ridge walks and cliffs. And direct flights from Luton and Stanstead to Kerry Airport daily, which is about twenty minutes bus trip from Killarney town, so very accessible.

Guest Conor74

http://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/

Would be like our equivalent of the Lake District in England, maybe not as jammed with walkers, but the road through the Park gets pretty busy in the summer with coaches.

There are also ferries around the Lakes, lots of people hire bikes and head up through the Gap of Dunloe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_of_Dunloe

to the foot of the Reeks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macgillycuddy's_Reeks

and get a boat through the lakes back down...

http://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/

Would be like our equivalent of the Lake District in England, maybe not as jammed with walkers, but the road through the Park gets pretty busy in the summer with coaches.

There are also ferries around the Lakes, lots of people hire bikes and head up through the Gap of Dunloe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_of_Dunloe

to the foot of the Reeks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macgillycuddy's_Reeks

and get a boat through the lakes back down...

Yeaahhhh boyyyy! I'll bookmark them when I get home. Sounds like a good long weekend away at some point. Nice one!

why the fuck do people ridicule people for going for walks? what the fuck is this shit?

who the hell makes fun of people who like to walk? wtf

Yeah, that's dumb. "Oh you like to explore the outdoors...your a nerd haha!1!!"

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Conor74

Winter wonderland stuff round here lately...

4269492292_e6d936e74d_b.jpg

4269492322_2789ca4808_b.jpg

4269515040_f6ddc55ea2_b.jpg

Oh and here's a random one from last summer, a prehistoric promontory fort on a cliff over the Atlantic ocean in the Aran Islands. Great spot, though maybe more ambling than scrambling...

4271713950_7d719628a9_b.jpg

Guest Masonic Boom

OMG, those pics are amazing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really miss doing this kind of thing. We had a whole gang of us that used to go on Rolling Psychogeographical Walks and Megalith Hunting and the like but the bloke who was the kind of the defacto leader of the thing moved to the States and no one's really got the organisational skills to make it happen so it kinda fell apart.

I spent my teenage years in Upstate NY - there are some really amazing mountains up there. There's no high in the world like turning around after you've just scrabbled your way up an almost vertical cliff and turn around with the whole of the Adirondacks behind you.

It's probably the biggest thing I miss, living in London now. I don't really feel quite up to doing it by myself, yet can't bring myself to get past the stigma of The Ramblers. (Besides, it's far more fun doing it with, well, weirdoes.)

But then I start watching old episodes of Coast and going all WAAAAAHHHH I want to visit Cornwall, I want to visit the Inner Hebrides, I want to go to the Orkneys... etc. And then I get as far as Broadstairs.

edit: ARGH I was searching for pics of our walks but he's let his Flickr account expire so they've gone. :(

Edited by Masonic Boom

Guest Masonic Boom

Um, the Alleghenys are hundreds of miles away from the Adirondacks!

The Appalaichan mountain range runs the entire length of the continent. (Though some pedantic geology types insist that the Adirondacks aren't even part of the Appalaichians.)

Guest Conor74

Um, the Alleghenys are hundreds of miles away from the Adirondacks!

Knew Sam the Stoat couldn't be trusted!

London might be a good drive to hiking country, but you should take off some weekend. You might even bump into Julia Bradbury...though this clip from youtube suggests someone with way too much time on their hands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAf5_6IeOyQ&feature=related