IGNORED

ATM fraud

zero

beware of giving your number out to smaller stores who have to write everything down and swipe it manually. a friend of mine had her numbers sold to some dude in Japan who took almost everything. gotta love people.

wow ok...i think im going to stop using my debit card for everything now...

i was with a large group of people one night and saw my friend getting money out of the ATM so I snuck behind him and nabbed his cash once it was dispensed. i was on the ground before i knew what happened, my friend was fearless and very quick-reflexed. we had a laugh.

another time in NY I walked up to an ATM on a dark and stormy night after a middle-aged woman was finished with it. When i stepped up to the ATM, it was prompting me if I would like to make another transaction. Had to listen to the little red devil on my shoulder, you know, at least hear him out, before pressing "no."

anyway your bank should sort you out, dont worry.

It wouldn't have mattered if you did decide to go evil - when you choose 'yes', you're prompted to swipe your card or input your PIN again.

Another way they can get your card info is those hand-held swipe card readers - when you hand over your card at restaurants, an unscrupulous waiter or waitstaff can take the card, swipe it through a hand-held reader, store up to 128kb or more of card info, and then dump it to a PC and sell it/distribute it all they like.

i was with a large group of people one night and saw my friend getting money out of the ATM so I snuck behind him and nabbed his cash once it was dispensed. i was on the ground before i knew what happened, my friend was fearless and very quick-reflexed. we had a laugh.

another time in NY I walked up to an ATM on a dark and stormy night after a middle-aged woman was finished with it. When i stepped up to the ATM, it was prompting me if I would like to make another transaction. Had to listen to the little red devil on my shoulder, you know, at least hear him out, before pressing "no."

It wouldn't have mattered if you did decide to go evil - when you choose 'yes', you're prompted to swipe your card or input your PIN again.

I'm sure this depends on the bank or country. Or something. I've been in numerous ATM transactions during which I pressed Yes to make another transaction, and have never been prompted to re-enter my pin or re-swipe my card. This is why I ALWAYS make sure the transaction is fully complete before I walk away.

I've also been in that situation where the person before me didn't finish up. But the built-in cameras were all the reason I needed to close out their transaction.

Another way they can get your card info is those hand-held swipe card readers - when you hand over your card at restaurants, an unscrupulous waiter or waitstaff can take the card, swipe it through a hand-held reader, store up to 128kb or more of card info, and then dump it to a PC and sell it/distribute it all they like.

at all the atms i've been to in canada i have never been prompted to re enter my pin. but to make another transaction i would have to leave the atm without taking my card with me, leaving it in the machine and ignoring all the prompts saying "WOULD YOU LIKE TO PREFORM ANOTHER TRANSACTION" etc etc.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I haven't used my debit card in a looong time but I'm pretty every ATM ive used you couldn't do any transaction's on unless your card is inside the machine

fuck...... has it really been that long? I cant even remember

I haven't used my debit card in a looong time but I'm pretty every ATM ive used you couldn't do any transaction's on unless your card is inside the machine

im pretty every atm ive used does that too?

How exactly can they withdraw your money without your pin AND your card?

im pretty every atm ive used does that too?

How exactly can they withdraw your money without your pin AND your card?

Well, in the case of the OP, they probably made/bought a fake card keyed with his magstripe info, and/or had his PIN to use with a 'skeleton card'.

In the ATM scenario I mentioned, if the machines do not prompt for PIN re-entry like some have said they've experienced, then you would be able to do another transaction.

I can't recall the last time I've taken my card, and THEN the machine asked if I wanted another transaction - the final question before returning my card (if it's the kind that holds onto the card during the transaction) is always "Can I help you with anything else" or something along those lines.

I can't recall the last time I've taken my card, and THEN the machine asked if I wanted another transaction - the final question before returning my card (if it's the kind that holds onto the card during the transaction) is always "Can I help you with anything else" or something along those lines.

Yeah, it's only the ones in which you only swipe your card, rather than inserting it, where this would really be an issue. Unless someone's absent-minded enough to not make sure they have their card before they walk away, and leave it in the machine.

Archived