IGNORED

ATM fraud

zero

So the other night I went to get some cash from the atm. The machine said my card had been deactivated and I need to call my bank. I called them and they said they froze my card as my pin # had been entered incorrectly more than 6 times. I obviously know my pin and couldn't remember ever entering it incorrectly, so today I went to my bank to get a new atm card and get this sorted. When I checked my transaction history, I saw a $500, $200, and $300 withdraw that I never did. Bank says they will investigate this by checking the atm cameras, my withdraw history, the atm's I usually use, and whatnot. I really hope they reimburse me as this is alot of money to me and it feels really shitty being ripped-off. Fuck.

Guest Bramsworth

Be sure to let us know the outcome, in case any of the info might be helpful for anyone else that gets into this situation.

Hope the police nail those suckas :D

that fucking sucks man. there is hope in ATM machines though; one time I was eating at some seafood restaurant in connecticut with my girlfriend, and went to take out money at the in-store ATM. I tried to withdraw sixty dollars, but was given two hundred bucks. I checked my account and only sixty dollars was registered as being withdrawn. Immediately went to a record store in the area and splurged like a motherfucker. there is hope.

how do you think they got access? used any shady card-readers at some dodgy places?

no man. I never use those cheap machines. I think I got "skimmned"

I went to a bank machine recently and there was a bit of a line. I asked this guy if he was waiting and he said no, go ahead. I thought nothing of it and assumed he was waiting for someone, but now realize he was probably trying to check out pin #'s, and that's where I got nabbed.

My friend very recently used a compromised ATM. His card got canceled and his account frozen and had to borrow $50 off me just to get some food! I mean, what are you meant to do while they sort your shit out? If you don't have any money on you you're fucked.

My friend very recently used a compromised ATM. His card got canceled and his account frozen and had to borrow $50 off me just to get some food! I mean, what are you meant to do while they sort your shit out? If you don't have any money on you you're fucked.

Always have a month's worth of cash (including rent) somewhere safe. Ideally, not in your own house. Use a safe deposit box for example.

Also, never use an ATM that isn't physically located inside a bank.

Aaaaand.. don't use a 4 digit PIN.

Always have a month's worth of cash (including rent) somewhere safe. Ideally, not in your own house. Use a safe deposit box for example.

i never even thought to use a PIN with more than 4 digits. hmm. though i make sure my fingers don't look like they're obviously pushing buttons when i'm entering my PIN ie. holding them flat across all the keys of the keypad.

180px-CrackStuntman.PNG

Guest ezkerraldean

yeah, this. and avoid using one that's busy, not just because of the potential for people to see your PIN but because someone might even just nick your cash and run off. i've heard of that happening before lol

i have the added factor that due to my constant moving around and Canadian-ness, practically every piece of ID or bank documentation that i own has a different address on it, and because of that i have to spend about half an hour convincing them who i am every time i go to the bank. anyone who nicked my details and tried to do dodgy dealings in a bank wouldn't have a chance lol

i didn't know there were other types...

i was with a large group of people one night and saw my friend getting money out of the ATM so I snuck behind him and nabbed his cash once it was dispensed. i was on the ground before i knew what happened, my friend was fearless and very quick-reflexed. we had a laugh.

another time in NY I walked up to an ATM on a dark and stormy night after a middle-aged woman was finished with it. When i stepped up to the ATM, it was prompting me if I would like to make another transaction. Had to listen to the little red devil on my shoulder, you know, at least hear him out, before pressing "no."

anyway your bank should sort you out, dont worry.

another time in NY I walked up to an ATM on a dark and stormy night after a middle-aged woman was finished with it. When i stepped up to the ATM, it was prompting me if I would like to make another transaction. Had to listen to the little red devil on my shoulder, you know, at least hear him out, before pressing "no."

was she an obviously affluent middle-aged woman? not all middle-aged women got bankroll

Guest mrcopyandpaste

this happened to me, but online. I think theyre insured to fuck against this sort of thing, you should be alright.

I had this happen to me several years ago (maybe a decade). I went out of town for the weekend to party with some friends. I checked my account at some point and 2 separate $500 ATM transactions had taken place in the city where I lived. Luckily I was out of town and had plenty of bar and restaurant receipts to prove it, paid with my ATM card, so it obviously wasn't me doing the 2 withdrawals back home. Wasn't even in a part of town I'd ever been to.

Bank gave me an immediate "temporary" refund and sorted it out quickly.

beware of giving your number out to smaller stores who have to write everything down and swipe it manually. a friend of mine had her numbers sold to some dude in Japan who took almost everything. gotta love people.

Archived