IGNORED

Anybody got any experience with the Alesis SR-16?

solarion

I recently nabbed a SR-16 from a garage sale for $30, and it worked when I tested it there. But I brought it home and the outputs had gone funny; nothing was coming out. Turning the gain and volume way up, it did make rhythmic glitchy noise and static presumably corresponding to the pattern you were playing, which made me think something had come loose or gone funny with the outputs rather than anything else.

Now obviously I don't have a warranty, looking at the manual was no help, and I have not been able to find a support forum. So I was wondering if anybody knew why this might be happening, and if there's anything I could do to fix it.

I had one too, there seems to be a well known problem with the volume knob, which mine also had. I think it had to do with dust. Not sure if this is your problem.

I sold mine because I hated it lol

Guest spraaaa

Mine sounds like that when I turned the volume knob down low but works at max. There's probably some way to replace it. Also maybe check that the output jacks are still solidly connected to the board, not loose.

I really like the sr 16 for sequencing, I use it to trigger drum samples and bass synths in bidule. Definitely try it out for stuff like that if you don't feel like fixing it, could be cool if you've got another drum machine or sampler with xox sequencing and you want higher note resolution.

fuck it off, SR16s are well shit. or try and get it circuit bent.

The thing is I was just going to sample all the sounds and then sell it off. Easy money.

Also maybe check that the output jacks are still solidly connected to the board, not loose.

This is mainly the sort of thing I'm asking about, due to my inexperience. I've opened it up and nothing looks out of the ordinary with the output jacks to me, but with an untrained eye I could quite feasibly be missing something. What would it be like when loose as opposed to solid?

I really like the sr 16 for sequencing, I use it to trigger drum samples and bass synths in bidule. Definitely try it out for stuff like that if you don't feel like fixing it, could be cool if you've got another drum machine or sampler with xox sequencing and you want higher note resolution.

I'll keep that in mind if I really can't fix it.

Guest spraaaa

by loose I mean you'd notice them moving around when you plugged in cables, it'd probably be obvious but I had that happen with something else once.

if you're just going to sample it why not just download the samples?

you can buy them here http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/3111154-alesis-sr16-drum-machine-samples

for 8 bucks USD or you could do a little searching and find them for free somewhere

I could do that but the samples aren't really the point.

looks like it could be a cool little sequencer though really. Will it record CCs?

Not really I think. You can do program changes, maybe volume changes, but not of the individual drum hits I believe.

Guest spraaaa

looks like it could be a cool little sequencer though really. Will it record CCs?

Not really I think. You can do program changes, maybe volume changes, but not of the individual drum hits I believe.

it receives program changes but doesn't send them. the individual hits all have velocity but it's rounded to 8 levels.

Archived