IGNORED

Fred McGriff

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fishtank

fuck haters this was good

in short

ya the story was not origonal by any means but the way the story is told is very solid with good, believeable characters

what sucked was the screen at IMAX was only using about 80% of the space available but the sound was excellent

I could see 'halos' around the characters

the tenticle things could have been left out

Maybe the guy in the video was karmakramer

:fear:

Yeah I'm getting a bit worried about karmakramer too.

Dude, its great that for once there was a big build up to something that didn't disappoint (some people) but don't let it take over your life. Its just a film. People that didn't like it will continue to slag it off for ever, if you start acting as Avatars chief defender your going to be very busy for a long time.

Its just a film. Stand up, step away from the computer and feel your legs connect with the real world.

Oh, and when I say legs, I mean

YourRealLegsSmall.jpg

:wub:

fuck haters this was good

in short

ya the story was not origonal by any means but the way the story is told is very solid with good, believeable characters

what sucked was the screen at IMAX was only using about 80% of the space available but the sound was excellent

I could see 'halos' around the characters

the tenticle things could have been left out

:beer:

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

?? the IMAX here in Boise sure seemed to have the film covering the entire size of the odd aspect ratio IMAX screen but didnt look weird at all. Im pretty conscious of cropping, aspect ratio problems and stuff and noticed that the film was covering the entire screen and was surprised cause I didnt think the film was made in full IMAX aspect ratio... another excuse to enjoy the visual roller coaster again

Guest Fishtank

I felt jipped

it was $15 for a ticket and I had heard to was more expensive elsewhere so maybe I got what I paid for?

or rather why not release it at a planetarium?

So, would someone who hates the overusage and general look of CGI like this film?

You'll know everything is CGi in this film (cause theres no way it could be real), but its the best CG in a film ever... I'd give it a chance in theaters while its playing if you have a free night and want to go to the movies. Also make sure you see it in 3D if you do.

Guest Fishtank

So, would someone who hates the overusage and general look of CGI like this film?

I havn't been impressed with CG untill Benjamin Button

most of it does look very stiff and void of facial expression

but they did a good job in this movie

I think if you're into the sci-fi adventure stuff you will like it

Guest Fat Roland

It was truly stunning and the battle scenes near the end were immense. It's just a shame that everything else was a stream of brown toilet drivel.

Go and see Where The Wild Things Are instead.

where the wild things are way pretty good but im definitely glad I just waited for the dvdrip on ninjavideo.net

that's actually an insane statement, I dont care if you hate the story, its way more worth it to see avatar 3d in the theaters

in before gaarg!

to sum it up, i enjoyed the experience of watching avatar in 3d. i enjoyed it very much. i have to admit though, this was my first movie in 3d.

i'm saying i enjoyed it, even though i found quite a few things wrong with it. but i still give it thumbs up and i recommend it. just don't expect a good movie.

... i think avatar might be the best bad movie ever made. we can probably agree on that?

absolutely! and it's so much better than every other bad movie, that some people confuse it with a good movie. zaphod, everything you wrote in this thread is like 95% the same as i think, but you're just a tiny bit more bitter than me. funny, because i was *really* annoyed and stressed before i sat down to watch avatar.

zazen, i agree 100.00% with everything you wrote. it was actually scary reading in your posts things i wanted to write.

from that nypress.com review

...it’s essentially a sentimental cartoon with a pacifist, naturalist message.

beautifully put. the reviewer should stop there, because he's just reading too much into it after that.

this movie managed to do so many things right that others have failed, that i virtually can't hold anything against it. the standards it has set for the future mainstream sci-fi flicks is STELLAR. in that sense, it absoutely is "the next level", "the new era" and all that. and i'm really not talking just about the CGI. if the blockbuster movies in the past 20 years had been like this, the world would be so much better, in so many ways.

i'm seeing it again tonight (can't remember the last time i went to the cinema twice for the same movie), maybe i'll write some more after that.

spoiler inside a spoiler - this can really spoil the movie - but for those that did see it.

virtually every message, every effort and value of this film is invalidated by the fact that jake is risking nothing. he's lying in the machine, playing a computer game. think about the things he achieves through that and you'll see how worthless it all really is. i could also say "how wrong it all really is", but i won't.

Guest bitroast

spoiler inside a spoiler

haha yeah, it's like, if he died than all that would've been lost was the armys money. although he was doing it to get the leg repairs?

Now that I have seen Avatar I know for sure, that I despise spectacle movies. The stories are clicheeis shit, the visuals are over speedy and too kitshcy plus the big budgets you could fucking finance all Africa's food supplies with instead of making a movie about saving blue aliens make me cry.

Fuck you Avatar and all such movies. You make the world more terrible.

then again, I guess that is the only way to break it to dumb western idiots and teenagers that you're supposed to treat nature well or something. Sooo it will probably do a lot of good in this way yes...Although it'll probably make people even dumber if that's possible

I loved the 3d effect. It was my first 3d movie experience and I wanted it for my entire life and Avatar gave it to me, thanks Avy. But for all other shit die a terrible death!

spoiler inside a spoiler

haha yeah, it's like, if he died than all that would've been lost was the armys money. although he was doing it to get the leg repairs?

not to defend the movies plot so much as to argue for the point of arguing

the navi/human dna avatar he was using probably took a few years to grow, it was his only means of actually being able to walk(as well as run, jump and have strength agility and resilience of a super humanoid. thats pretty much all it was to him as he figured Im just doing this for the fun and to get my legs back(his real legs mind you haha)...

but after he realized he cared more about the navi culture than his current human society and fell in love with whatever the fuck zoe saldana's characters name was? at that point you see how your point is kind invalid as a destroyer of care towards his avatar?

at that point obviously his avatar meant a lot more to him than all of that, I had no problem seeing the more importance that it slowly had gained for plot and jake character

not trying to sound like kramerkramer clone avatar version 2.3 but I think that's pretty short sighted to say that is what ruined the intensity and importance.

the story was not the problem in my opinion it was mostly the execution of it, for one no movie should ever cast michelle rodriguez again... :facepalm: I hate every line she regurgitates in every movie ive seen of hers.. some of the other actors were almost as low class as well.

the level of acting and directing required to make the performances actually seem heartfelt and realistic in a 90% CGI movie like this something I dont think james cameron let alone george lucas have the raw honesty to produce

There are no characters in this movie. just things with names.

i don't understand why some say that the colonel guy is a badass when all he can do is hold his breath.

the first time i saw this i got some sort of an artificial high, and i was like "woah.. dude.. yes, like, dude i know this story has been told a thousand times but man... i get it! it has to be told over and over until people get it because, dude... like, we never get it." so that was good i guess.

the cgi looks bad in some parts, the ripley avatar never looks right.

the soundtrack is fucking terrible and cheesy, but I only noticed this in second viewing.

it is very enjoyable on 3d, but i feel there is so much wasted opportunity in this film, so filled with cookie cutter elements.

overall it's alright i guess, the visuals are distracting enough to not get bored.

lol at the line of reasoning for no suspense cause Jake's Avatar death wouldn't kill Jake. Did you really think at any point during the movie the main character was going to die, aside from the end? If anything, by having the Avatar not kill Jake's real body, it made it feel like it was possible he would lose his Avatar at some point and never be able to walk Pandora again. It added suspense imo.

Just found this awesome shot

fck0ew.jpg

Can't wait to see this on Blu-Ray. Fuck

re: the blu-ray release: I heard that Cameron had to keep the movie under 170 minutes due to certain contraints to do with iMax theatres that hadn't converted to digital projection. There are shots in the trailers that aren't in the final film (e.g. Jake in his wheelchair on earth in a bar, with a soccer game on a screen in the background). Presumably there's a whole bunch of Pandora stuff that got cut as well. So, like Lord Of The Rings, perhaps there'll be an extended edition on blu-ray.

the soundtrack is fucking terrible and cheesy, but I only noticed this in second viewing.

The motion capturing(specifically the mouth):there were a few times where the mouth movements completely pulled me out of an otherwise photo realistic believable visual performance. Most of the time that happened with Sigourney Weavers Navi avatar, in general I never thought her digital character looked nearly as good as the others. I can think of a few scenes in specific where her avatar smiled or something where I know they could have slightly modified the animation.

The excessive score:the soundtrack got a bit overly cheesy at points where I knew I would be way more immersed in the scene without it.(I really wish I could just turn off the score entirely some movies)((why the fuck dont more directors understand that minimalism in the soundtrack can make scene more powerful not that opposite sometimes)

re: the blu-ray release: I heard that Cameron had to keep the movie under 170 minutes due to certain contraints to do with iMax theatres that hadn't converted to digital projection. There are shots in the trailers that aren't in the final film (e.g. Jake in his wheelchair on earth in a bar, with a soccer game on a screen in the background). Presumably there's a whole bunch of Pandora stuff that got cut as well. So, like Lord Of The Rings, perhaps there'll be an extended edition on blu-ray.

Yep... apparently a lot of character development and an intro that began on Earth was cut... shame

The motion capturing(specifically the mouth):there were a few times where the mouth movements completely pulled me out of an otherwise photo realistic believable visual performance. Most of the time that happened with Sigourney Weavers Navi avatar, in general I never thought her digital character looked nearly as good as the others. I can think of a few scenes in specific where her avatar smiled or something where I know they could have slightly modified the animation.

The excessive score:the soundtrack got a bit overly cheesy at points where I knew I would be way more immersed in the scene without it.(I really wish I could just turn off the score entirely some movies)((why the fuck dont more directors understand that minimalism in the soundtrack can make scene more powerful not that opposite sometimes)

tl;dr :wink:

:beer:

Archived