IGNORED

i has a droid

chaosmachine

so i have an original droid, and realized that i needed to stop updating the applications about 3 months ago as it was getting slow as fuck and it's still slowly getting more and more un-useable by the day. now sometimes calls dont even come through, fucking lame.

is there anything besides overclocking that can speed this damned thing up? i understand overclocking kills battery time, which is already bad enough as is. yeah, yeah, this is a 2 year old phone (but one i've only had for about 1 year 4 months).. obsolescence and all that shit.

root > back up > wipe > flash custom rom

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=671

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Deep Fried Everything

so i have an original droid, and realized that i needed to stop updating the applications about 3 months ago as it was getting slow as fuck and it's still slowly getting more and more un-useable by the day. now sometimes calls dont even come through, fucking lame.

is there anything besides overclocking that can speed this damned thing up? i understand overclocking kills battery time, which is already bad enough as is. yeah, yeah, this is a 2 year old phone (but one i've only had for about 1 year 4 months).. obsolescence and all that shit.

root > back up > wipe > flash custom rom

http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=671

awesome, thanks! do you have any rom recommendations or is it something i should look into to find which one would be the best for my phone?

i spent a few days playing with custom roms, they were all ugly hacks with terrible ui, like they were designed to impress 13-year-olds. "gee, let's replace the finely-tuned high-dpi system font with a futuristic novelty font... who cares if all websites suddenly become unreadable because the font is monospaced and way too wide... it looks uberleet!"

i'd also be wary of stability issues, i read a few threads about people randomly not being able to open the dialer, etc.. if you depend on your phone as your 911-calling device, stick with the default rom.

I still love MIUI if you have it available for you phone I'd recommend trying it out.http://roms.miui.us/ It is available for the OG Droid :sup: a beautiful blend of iOS and android with a built in theme manager which makes its highly cusotmizable interface super easy to make it look how you want from lockscreen to fonts, icons, SMS, dialer etc.

MM9Fm.jpgCzbSe.jpg

I still love MIUI if you have it available for you phone I'd recommend trying it out.http://roms.miui.us/ It is available for the OG Droid :sup: a beautiful blend of iOS and android with a built in theme manager which makes its highly cusotmizable interface super easy to make it look how you want from lockscreen to fonts, icons, SMS, dialer etc.

i guess mostly what i'm wondering is, will loading a different rom on my phone and configuring it properly increase the phone's performance? i don't know much about mobile phone/android architecture to know if that's even a rational question or not.. but we shall see this weekend.

i guess mostly what i'm wondering is, will loading a different rom on my phone and configuring it properly increase the phone's performance? i don't know much about mobile phone/android architecture to know if that's even a rational question or not.. but we shall see this weekend.

You'll almost definitely see an increase in battery life, when I got my EVO it didn't even last a day on stock Sense. After rooting and running other Sense and AOSP ROMS they all have offered better life than my phone did initially. It should all run smooth since it's meant to be running on your phone and has been ported and perhaps tweaked to run optimally. You could also check out CyanogenMod 7, It's AOSP based, straight up android with tweaks. You can get really techie and install multiple tweaks/mods you'll find through forums such as xda-developers. Once you're comfortable booting into recovery and flashing zips and ROMS you're set. Just make sure to make a nandroid backup before doing anything so you can always restore back and have your phone in working order :wink:

I recently got a Motorola ATRIX 2 after having an iPhone for 2 years, and I'm never going back. What sealed the deal for me was the amount of emulators I could get for free on android (c64, nes, game boy, etc), plus I can load all the emulator roms I already have without having to buy shitty "game packs".

I love the ATRIX 2 as well, nearly same specs as the galaxy s 2 as far as ram and processor, twice the battery life, and a larger resolution (comparable to iPhone) for only $50 with new contract.

Within the first week I had already installed dosbox and was playing doom and I even ran windows 3.11. Useless but just something fun that I could've never done with my iPhone.

You could also check out CyanogenMod 7, It's AOSP based, straight up android with tweaks.

Yep that's the Rom I use - I got nearly double battery life after swapping from the mess of an bloated OS as a result of Orange's botch job (well that and also installing SetCPU).

A tip for HTC Desire users - stick with 7.0.3 rather than the latest 7.1 as you'll end up 'losing' around 20mb of internal space and have a slower performance with booting and loading apps. I found that out to my cost - I mean it's still working a-ok and much better than with the Orange build but 7.0.3 was so good and lightweight that upgrading to 7.1 was a bit of a disappointment.

can always downgrade, mcbpete :)

you'll have to wipe cache and user data, but you can definitely downgrade.

for the moment, i'll be sticking with stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy Nexus.

for the moment, i'll be sticking with stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy Nexus.

Lucky bastard... I installed an alpha ICS EVO rom last night. It was laggy but I just wanted to check out the newness. I did a nand back to MIUI within about 15 minutes. Really looking forward to CM9, MIUI and other ICS based offerings coming in the near future!

Lucky bastard... I installed an alpha ICS EVO rom last night. It was laggy but I just wanted to check out the newness. I did a nand back to MIUI within about 15 minutes. Really looking forward to CM9, MIUI and other ICS based offerings coming in the near future!

Android 4.0 is awesome, really liking it. It's much better than 2.3. I've only had a fleeting play around with 3.2, so I can't really comment there.

I'm unlucky however in that I am suffering from the much publicised (and mostly rather inaccurately) volume issue that is affecting Galaxy Nexus handsets.

My htc aria runs slow as frozen shit when loading apps/ texts... but I've no idea how to flash or install a custom OS so I suck it up.

My htc aria runs slow as frozen shit when loading apps/ texts... but I've no idea how to flash or install a custom OS so I suck it up.

I rooted my friends aria not too long ago http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6952379

Then just find a custom ROM and you're good to go. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

I rooted my friends aria not too long ago http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6952379

Then just find a custom ROM and you're good to go. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

Awesome, thanks man.

• 1 month later...

very helpful thread, thanks dudes.. finally got around to doing this today and still in progress at the moment.

Guest disparaissant

this is what my nook's homescreen looks like running cyanogenmod 7.2 RC0 encore (KANG)

screenshot-1325472328591.png

hilariously, i still use an LG clamshell pre-pay thing as my regular phone. mostly because i never use it. i will probably get around to getting some kind of smart phone soon, provided i can root it and install a fun ROM.

i finally found a decent audiobook player: mortplayer

it has a shit-ton of options, but the reason i like it most is that it intelligently sorts files. i have one book split up into 250 files, and none of the players (including the default) would sort them in the right order (they'd do 1, 10, 100, 101...), and I didn't want to edit them all to add leading zeros to the track numbers... mortplayer is the only one that would order them correctly.

• 1 month later...

very helpful thread, thanks dudes.. finally got around to doing this today and still in progress at the moment.

soooooo, still have the original droid, and even cyanogen mod7 has now (also) made my phone unusably slow, not even overclocked. is this thing just past its expired date? it freezes for 10-15 seconds whenever i literally do anything. :sad:

if this is how smartphones be, i think i'm going to take a step backwards when i get my next phone.. but then i suppose everything new is now obsolete within 2 years.

that sucks, I'm still rocking my htc desire with cm7, works good but I'm not happy with stuff like the new market, which is pretty slow compared to older versions.. don't think I'll upgrade any further.. you could try flashing back to cm6?

I just bought a playstation 2 man, fuck it :)

Guest disparaissant

my clamshell died so i ended up getting a samsung intercept for 70 bucks

it's a piece of shit, kind of, it runs froyo but has a keyboard and was cheap and i can get unlimited data for $35 a month and no contract.

kind of wish there was a good custom rom for it but whatever! i can deal!

anyone know a good wifi tethering app? i already have root.

Archived