IGNORED

Comparisons and Contrasts between Avatar and District 9

Capsaicin

Right now I have a jumbled mess of ideas instead of an essay. Can somebody help me find a little bit of direction? I would like to have my essay be explanatory with a large emphasis on how much Avatar sucks.

I'm not asking you to write this for me, but instead give me a few ideas and a little bit of direction.

similarities:

both use advanced cgi technology

both protagonists are people that turn into the alien race of the film

both place emphasis on politics

both have a love story

both garner sympathy for the alien race

both are a situation where the alien race is being mistreated by evil fuckwads

both used mech suits

differences:

avatar uses cute aliens, district 9 doesn't, making the emotional attachment with the audience more difficult to create

avatar was 3d, district 9 was not

district 9 was shot in that handy-cam style

avatar has bright happy colors (mostly) while district 9 is a lot of browns and neutral tones

avatar lacks plot, but district 9 has one

district 9 used relatively unknown actors while avatar had famous ones

district 9 took place on the human's planet while avatar took place on the alien's planet

Colonialism is the most obvious theme between the two.

Prawns are given homes (to a detrimental effect) and the Na'vi are deprived of theirs.

I'd tear the shit out of that essay if I went post-colonial on it. :braindance:

Guest assegai

similarities:

both use advanced cgi technology

both protagonists are people that turn into the alien race of the film

both place emphasis on politics

both have a love story

both garner sympathy for the alien race

both are a situation where the alien race is being mistreated by evil fuckwads

both used mech suits

differences:

avatar uses cute aliens, district 9 doesn't, making the emotional attachment with the audience more difficult to create

avatar was 3d, district 9 was not

district 9 was shot in that handy-cam style

avatar has bright happy colors (mostly) while district 9 is a lot of browns and neutral tones

avatar lacks plot, but district 9 has one

district 9 used relatively unknown actors while avatar had famous ones

district 9 took place on the human's planet while avatar took place on the alien's planet

I read this post nodding at each point then lol'd.

If you wanted to go a bit abstract you could approach the humans in both films as the alien-race.

Back on the post-colonial tip: in both films the oppressors are transformed into the alien. One happens as a result of biology (evolution, cross-breeding?) and the other as a tool of science.

Prawns are given homes (to a detrimental effect) and the Na'vi are deprived of theirs.

Colonialism in District 9? I'm pretty sure that the word you're looking for is apartheid.

Colonialism in District 9? I'm pretty sure that the word you're looking for is apartheid.

Main Entry: co·lo·nial·ism

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈlō-nē-ə-ˌli-zəm, -nyə-ˌli-\

Function: noun

Date: 1853

1 : the quality or state of being colonial

2 : something characteristic of a colony

3 a : control by one power over a dependent area or people b : a policy advocating or based on such control

it definitely fits, but I also mentioned apartheid for district 9

colonialism may be more for avatar

Main Entry: co·lo·nial·ism

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈlō-nē-ə-ˌli-zəm, -nyə-ˌli-\

Function: noun

Date: 1853

1 : the quality or state of being colonial

2 : something characteristic of a colony

3 a : control by one power over a dependent area or people b : a policy advocating or based on such control

it definitely fits, but I also mentioned apartheid for district 9

colonialism may be more for avatar

Colonialism is fairly explicit in being reserved for control over peoples (and exploitation of said people) in foreign lands.

Guest Backson

I thought both were "pretty ok."

District 9 could have been great if it had fulfilled the potential of "Alive in Joburg" rather than spiraling off into Peter-Jackson-land.

ziff

Alive in Joburg was just an interesting short film, and couldn't really have been anything more. No heart, just an interesting idea.

dont do that god awful "more indie than thou" act

I thought both were "pretty ok."

District 9 could have been great if it had fulfilled the potential of "Alive in Joburg" rather than spiraling off into Peter-Jackson-land.

ziff

Alive in Joburg was just an interesting short film, and couldn't really have been anything more. No heart, just an interesting idea.

dont do that god awful "more indie than thou" act

lol, should I rephrase by saying "lived up to the promise of its firt act", which was, essentially, Alive in Joburg the extended cut? My point was I liked the idea of shooting it as a mock documentary, making it gritty, immediate, and laced with dark humor. I just thought it fell apart during the second act. I didn't mind that it became more action oriented and I didn't mind the violence, it just became very cliched. It seemed they didn't know what tone to strike - if they wanted to go the Hollywood tear-jerker route, or the Veerhoven social satire plus ultraviolence route, or what. It was a mess.

Archived