IGNORED

Hidden Tracks

sidewinder

The vinyl pressings of Mr. Bungle's 'Disco Volante' have a secret track that occasionally occurs when you play track 3 - 'Carry Stress In the Jaw'. That portion of the vinyl is double-grooved, so that there is a chance that a secret song will play instead of the intended track. You simply have to keep setting the needle before the song's starting point and hope that it falls into the intended channel. I'd say that's a pretty cool implementation of the secret song. On the CD, the track is combined with the original composition in a way that sounds natural.

As for the content of the secret song: The band ended up recording it without bass player Trevor Dunn's knowledge. However, he somehow discovered it and decided to overdub his own vocals. As the album went to press Mike Patton was still unaware of Trevor's contribution and presumably didn't find out until the commercial release. The secret song starts at 4:40.

I remember hearing about this regarding the CD version, but didn't know that's how they did it for the vinyl. Very cool indeed.

The vinyl pressings of Mr. Bungle's 'Disco Volante' have a secret track that occasionally occurs when you play track 3 - 'Carry Stress In the Jaw'. That portion of the vinyl is double-grooved, so that there is a chance that a secret song will play instead of the intended track. You simply have to keep setting the needle before the song's starting point and hope that it falls into the intended channel. I'd say that's a pretty cool implementation of the secret song. On the CD, the track is combined with the original composition in a way that sounds natural.

As for the content of the secret song: The band ended up recording it without bass player Trevor Dunn's knowledge. However, he somehow discovered it and decided to overdub his own vocals. As the album went to press Mike Patton was still unaware of Trevor's contribution and presumably didn't find out until the commercial release. The secret song starts at 4:40.

I remember hearing about this regarding the CD version, but didn't know that's how they did it for the vinyl. Very cool indeed.

That Secret Song is easily the best one on the album, one of the best by Mr. Bungle in general.

What do you think? I think in the days of tapes and the early days of CDs, sure I guess they were kind of 'neat' in the sense that it may have been a surprise and you felt gifted. But come on...ever since the late 90s, or even sooner, I've felt it's ridiculously stupid for artists to put tracks at the end of a long silence. Who do they think they are kidding? Like we can't see the counter on our compact disc players, computer media player, portable MP3 player, that tells us the track is not over and has a hell of a lot longer to go? It's just annoying. I'm always baffled when I hear a new or very recent release that has something like this. Come on people, it's 2010...you can't fool us. Just make it a regular track already and don't bother us with this wasted time nonsense. :facepalm:

i feel the exact same way. it's so annoying seeing track times: 2:33, 2:56...20:15....hmm i wonder what the deal is there. are we expected to be listening on our walkmans?

The worst thing about that is that I've got a crap Ipod that only holds a certain amount of songs. If I like a song that has a hidden track attached to it and it comes up at 35 minutes, thats half of my fucking space filled!

yeah that is annoying, but what I do it just cut out the silence (and sometimes the bonus track if its shit) with a .wav editor. voila.

Guest bitroast

Locked grooves I get, hidden tracks not so much. Hidden tracks are clever once, after that their annoying.

I kind of like the pre-gap "hidden" track concept, where you have to rewind the actual CD. Autechre, 2 Many DJ's and UNKLE have all done it on albums. Still silly but more effective, much more like locked grooves.

This kind of stuff I can appreciate a bit more, because it really is hidden. You're not going to notice it unless you've heard about it and make the effort to try to access it. I've personally never known of one or how to access it. But to me that's truly hidden, you can't really detect it through normal use as far as I know.

yeah you just have to rewind from the first track. i remember listening to blur's think tank at a music retailer cd player thing and that player automatically started the album with the hidden bonus track at the start :o

bibio - vignetting the compost is the latest album i can think of with a hidden track at the end. grizzly bear's friend ep...

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

it pisses me off when the artists decide to put said hidden track or tracks as #s 98 & 99 so you have to skip through all those useless tracks to get there. i paid you to listen to your music, you self important dope, would you just let me do it in peace?

Hahaha, Nine Inch Nails

I know why they did that but it would be to nerdy to explain it. Plus, there's wikipedia.

Archived