IGNORED

hey PC users

Guest the anonymous forumite

It was the deal: a little more than 700$ but you have to buy it with vista and no upgrade option. A computer of that quality with that price couldn't be missed and was clearly the best offer I could find. All the other computers had way lower specs for that price.

I downgraded because everybody recommends using XP instead of Vista.

hmm that kinda sounds a bit dodgy - the upgrade to Windows 7 shouldn't cost anything extra, so there's no reason to not include the option. had i been there with you when you made the purchase, i certainly would've brought this up. i hate seeing people being ripped off :-s

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well that really doesn't sound like a problem to me since you can get it on the internet.

+ whether I have Xp, Vista or 7, I should be getting sound properly working.

ALSO:

I reinstalled the drivers again and it appears a so-called MODEM Driver install failed. Does this have anything to do with sound ?

whether I have Xp, Vista or 7, I should be getting sound properly working.

ALSO:

I reinstalled the drivers again and it appears a so-called MODEM Driver install failed. Does this have anything to do with sound ?

well actually, if you were running Windows Vista or Windows 7, the operating system would probably have drivers built in (as in, drivers supplied by Microsoft) and if not, it would be a very simple thing to get sorted since the Windows Update is a lot better at finding device drivers. As you'd already stated earlier on in the thread, the sound was working when the machine ran Vista so there is definitely not a hardware problem.

So you're saying XP is shit and that it's normal for an OS not to have a sound driver included ?

So you're saying XP is shit and that it's normal for an OS not to have a sound driver included ?

it's normal for a 9 year old operating system to not have drivers built-in for a sound device that is recent, yes.

yeah... my old ass ibook kicked the bucket about a month ago and i'm about to get a viao cuz i can't afford a new powerbook. i would wait till i have enough money, but things are poppin' right now with peeps wanting me to do shows. so i'll get a viao now, get some software from friends that have been wanting to give me stuff but never did because i used macs. i'll get a proper powerbook in the future.

So all the drivers have been installed successfully (I did the online install) but still no audio ! I'm losing hope.

you might have to install this thing before you install the proper sound card drivers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

although online driver update should have taken care of it..

what does device manager look like ? any exclamation mark on sound card ?

what service pack did it auto downgrade to btw ?

download and run winaudit.. it will tell you what components are installed. checvk your audio card make and model and go direct to their products support page on the web if they have one.

yo0u've checked the obvious stuff like the volume control/mute settings and whether or not the device is enabled yeah? how about the bios?

It was the deal: a little more than 700$ but you have to buy it with vista and no upgrade option. A computer of that quality with that price couldn't be missed and was clearly the best offer I could find. All the other computers had way lower specs for that price.

I downgraded because everybody recommends using XP instead of Vista.

if you bought a computer after june 2008, you ARE entitled to a win 7 upgrade from sony

regardless of what the retailer tells you

Guest Glass Plate

MAC user goes to WATMM (out of all the places on the internet) to get PC help. This just shows why so many mac users are stuck being mac users.

So all the drivers have been installed successfully (I did the online install) but still no audio ! I'm losing hope.

you might have to install this thing before you install the proper sound card drivers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

1) what does device manager look like ? 2) any exclamation mark on sound card ?

3)what service pack did it auto downgrade to btw ?

There is no download link on the page.

1) like an xp dialog box.

2) no

3) I'm on service pack 2.

I have the feeling that you can help me.

i'd go to a PC savvy friend outside the internet really. don't you work with any? go to school with any? related to any?

no, all my friends are mac. I feel there is some help potential here.

1) what does device manager look like ? 2) any exclamation mark on sound card ?

3)what service pack did it auto downgrade to btw ?

There is no download link on the page.

1) like an xp dialog box.

2) no

3) I'm on service pack 2.

I have the feeling that you can help me.

Hey gordo,

where is that yellow warning you're talking about ?

windows-xp-device-manager.png

no it's all fine. It even lists audio codecs. By the way, the screenshot above is not an actual screenshot, my warning sign is next to PCI devices.

no.

When you said I'm entitled to get a 7 upgrade, who has to give it to me ? The shop or sony ?

no.

When you said I'm entitled to get a 7 upgrade, who has to give it to me ? The shop or sony ?

well it's possibly debatable whether you're eligible for an upgrade to Windows 7 now, because you already downgraded to Windows XP. if my memory serves me right, the terms of downgrading are that you relinquish the Vista product key so that you can have XP. in order to upgrade, you would need that Vista product key.

Archived