IGNORED

Is Rick Rubin a beat maker?

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

I saw the 99 Problems video, and seeing him as this big hairy white guy rolling in the hood somehow worked.

It was goddamn cool.

So does he actually wack out the sampler every now and then for rappers, or does he just attempt to teach nu metal bands to age gracefully?

I saw the 99 Problems video, and seeing him as this big hairy white guy rolling in the hood somehow worked.

It was goddamn cool.

So does he actually wack out the sampler every now and then for rappers, or does he just attempt to teach nu metal bands to age gracefully?

he's a producer by trade. but i remember seeing some interviews by beastie boys, ll cool j, and other early def jam artists that rick ruben had a dorm room filled with speakers, turntables, synths, and drum machines. ll cool j tripped out that rr was a long haired white guy when they first met.

It was goddamn cool.

Lord Rubin is a very influential character in my record collection. I have no idea what you classify him as apart from somebody with a very good ear for music and knowing what sounds good. He obviously knows how to get something on tape but his shody work with Metallicas latest album shows he is losing his edge. In fact Metallica spoke a lot about him just showing up every now and again nodding his head and saying a few words and leaving, yet billing them ridiculous amounts of money for the honour. Slipknot, Slayer and Linkin Park have also slated him of late. Rubin nowadays is more of a CEO yet it seems bands are willing to pay him a fortune for his midas touch (ear).

Created Def Jam home of Public Enemy, produced Beasties and Run DMC in the golden age of hip-hop, created the first and greatest crossover rap-rock record with Aerosmith, produced the greatest thrash metal album ever with Slayers Reign in Blood (Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven are classics too), made me like the RHCP with Calafornication (a band I hate! LoL) and System of a Down were pretty fucking mental too. One of the first slabs of vinyl I ever bought was LL Cool Js Radio which at the time was quite heavy (I shudder at the name now LoL).

All in all I have a lot to thank Rubin for. Thanks Rick!

Archived