IGNORED

Spending 12 months on a drum loop

so, question... for someone who says they never finish anything, why did you decide to get an agent?

edit: and how much has he gotten you gigs?

Well he's actually the agent of a good friend of mine - gets him gigs and shops his albums around to japanese labels when he's over there...

He ended up getting all sorts of other offers too, film and tv work, videogame soundtracks, etc... and he started putting quite a bit of mastering work my way too... So at some point I suppose he just started to represent me too...

Never done gigs - I'd maybe do some net broadcasts some time though - otherwise I think I'd rather play other people's music...

I do get analytical - I wonder why we make tracks, with beginnings, middles and ends... Why we name them and what they're actually supposed to be... Maybe we're making things too complicated for ourselves? It's like we're still stuck between song writing, which does need to be linear, and tell a story, and looped music, which really doesn't seem to imply that...

When I make music for myself I never arrange it or name it - it just doesn't make any sense to me... If I want to listen to my own music I keep it as loops with all the different elements layered on top of each other... Then I can keep that interaction with whenever I want to listen to it...

If I decide, right, the intro needs to start with just the pad sound, then I bring in the drums, oh and I'll call it "Magic Day In Spaniel's Eardrum", it's like I'm setting it in stone and closing a door... I sort of prefer to keep everything active and evolving... and without an agent or label to kick my arse and make me produce things which are presentable, I'd probably just make loops forever... and of course, loops are often all that's needed for these things anyway.

I'm quite keen on the idea of doing albums which self-generate... So a track is just a collection of ideas and variables... Then it develops itself for as long as you want to listen to it... I think Autechre could probably pull it off better than anyone.

I think I try to treat my songs like people. I give them names, because they have their own personalities and viewpoints. Like in works in fiction, we're really only describing ourselves and our fears. I don't mean to sound dramatic, or hokey, but my songs are my children. I finish them because I want them to be whole. For me, not finishing a song is like reading a few lines from a book. You don't get the complete idea unless there's some type of arc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
come on man post the loop already :excl::excl::excl:

yeah, or any other music that you made (i find it hard to believe that you can't post ANYTHING at all, i mean, there must be some music that you are allowed to post). you seem to know quite a bit about music theory (or at least you try to appear that way) but that doesn't really mean anything if you don't put it to use, right? so lets hear some!

Guest Mr. Magoo

yeah, or any other music that you made (i find it hard to believe that you can't post ANYTHING at all, i mean, there must be some music that you are allowed to post). you seem to know quite a bit about music theory (or at least you try to appear that way) but that doesn't really mean anything if you don't put it to use, right? so lets hear some!

YOU LOSE...GOOD DAY SIR

hairafter_icon.jpg

just you wait :wink2:

YOU LOSE...GOOD DAY SIR

hairafter_icon.jpg

just you wait :wink2:

wtf.JPG

HOLY SHIT THATS INCREDIBLE

IMAGINE HOW THAT MUST SOUND WHEN YOU , LIKE, PUT THAT 12" ON A TURNTABLE AND SPEED IT UP?!!?!? AND LIKE, JUST LOOP THE BIT WHERE YOU ONLY HEAR DRUMS?? CRRAZY

IM GONNA GET RICH OFF THIS SHIT

i was thinking of maybe CUTTING IT UP!

call me crazy.

OK... HERE IT COMES.>>..:

YOUR CRAZY!~!!!

WHY SHOULD YOU CUT A FINE 12" LIKE THAT UP??? THATS JUST A WASTE OF VINYL>

hahahah

WHAT THE FUCK JUST POST SOMETHING WE DONT CARE IF YOU WANT TO POST IT OR NOT

teenage angst?

POST SOMETHING

^ 20-something angst

No, I'm just getting tired of sitting here and wanting to hear this stuff.

i remeber way back in the day...

i studied [mathmatical equation] by aphex twin for like hours and hours for days and days trying to remake all those sounds...

then i met this mac user and he's like check out metasynth, he drew a line ...

then i said "WTF"

the end

yeah paulie walnuts talks a big one for not having any tracks out there

this thread is more evidence of how far down the toilet watmm has gone.

or rather how far up its own ass it has gone...

sad days.

Dicktease.

edit:

I think I try to treat my songs like people. I give them names, because they have their own personalities and viewpoints. Like in works in fiction, we're really only describing ourselves and our fears. I don't mean to sound dramatic, or hokey, but my songs are my children. I finish them because I want them to be whole. For me, not finishing a song is like reading a few lines from a book. You don't get the complete idea unless there's some type of arc.

Dude.. that just was a major revelation to me. fuck man.. i'm never gonna churn out something i haven't properly finished with all of my heart ever again..

i owe you a bunch. all i can say is thanks.

sad days.

what exactly are you refering to?

sad days.

what exactly are you refering to?

nothing specifically kcinsu - just a general malaise of pontification and theoretical nonsense over the past few months. my statement isnt entirely on topic, sorry. just having a minor moan...this thread perhaps exemplifies my sentiment, but maybe not.

i'm just finding watmm a tad tedious and repetetive of late and decided to vent in this thread.

hmmmmmmmkkay?

I almost have the opposite problem, where I can only manage to concentrate on a track or it's elements for an afternoon or so, before I throw it to my partner in musical crime to tinker with, or he gives me something to finish and I add little bits and bobs. But a year on a track? Fuck that. You'll never finish anything that way. The best feeling is finishing a track, when you press save for the last time and let out a relaxing accomplished sigh. Ahhh.

Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide...
Some old rubbish

That's the thing - I'm really wondering if I'm alone in working this way...

I never spend more than a few days writing something - and quite often if I'm doing something for someone else I'll blast it out in an afternoon... But sometimes I just focus on my sound - like trying to get exactly the right quality in the drums - exactly the right texture from the atmospherics...

Then when you've cracked it, learnt the formula, you can go on and use it in your own compositions...

My track writing does become formulaic, but then, it becomes more about the concept than the particular chords or rhythms you've decided to go for... That's how it is for me anyway...

Archived