IGNORED

Fluorescent Grey track featured in April issue of Wire Magazine

awepittance

this is the second or maybe third time rob's been on a wiretapper

and the reviews of his stuff have been positive (mind you, so have the reviews of your stuff that i've seen, brian).

so in summation, i have no idea.

Yeah no there's no doubt in my mind that Robbie was asked to be in on this, that's definitely not what I meant to imply! It also could very well be another Wire-related CD that isn't this series, but I am not a frequent subscriber so I don't really know if these discs are all they do. Either way it would certainly seem a bit jilted if a bunch of the stuff on those CDs was put there like a paid advert, and I think it would really take away from the stuff like Robbie's where it was requested to be included...

the Wire is trying to expand their advertising revenue, thats definitely true. However i think when it comes to certain 'pay to play' things they offer, like the 'under the radar' cds, there is still very much an element of love, dedication and personal curation put into it. They aren't going to find things that are under the radar that they think are shit, and that compilation as far as i know is not open to submissions, they ask you to be on it.

One time i got rejected from a Wiretapper, and i was bummed about it but i think overall that shows that they are discriminatory in a good way, they don't just put the most high priced advertisers in it, if they did it would be really cheap i think. (i am definitly not one of them, soul jazz is probably their biggest customer but they rarely if ever appear on the compilation)

I got this issue of The Wire but it was sold without the CD : / When's your next album due?

fall 2010, and it will be dual formats, 2xlp and cd

the Wire is trying to expand their advertising revenue, thats definitely true. However i think when it comes to certain 'pay to play' things they offer, like the 'under the radar' cds, there is still very much an element of love, dedication and personal curation put into it. They aren't going to find things that are under the radar that they think are shit, and that compilation as far as i know is not open to submissions, they ask you to be on it.

One time i got rejected from a Wiretapper, and i was bummed about it but i think overall that shows that they are discriminatory in a good way, they don't just put the most high priced advertisers in it, if they did it would be really cheap i think.

I got this issue of The Wire but it was sold without the CD : / When's your next album due?

fall 2010, and it will be dual formats, 2xlp and cd

Yeah I mean, we saw it as nothing but a compliment that we were asked to contribute something as well, but there was some mention of an "obligation" to pay for some of the pressing costs (or something to that effect?) that was around $500, which is more than what our budget is for a number of our releases! Lord knows we love Wire though, it just seemed a bit odd to me at the time.

Congrats Robbie!

and a hearty Hahahaha! @ the Brian/Robbie banter....

500$!?!

Yeah I'm gonna call my label co-op tomorrow and confirm this. We just thought it was strange at the time but I'm not the one in direct contact with Wire so I need to be 100% certain that this was the case.

thanks everybody for the kind words, braintree, salvitorin, bronchuseven (<-- we need to see more of you around these parts) o00o, karmakramer very much appreciated. Now i just have to finish my next album, i have so much material it might end up being 2cds

Aww, I miss you too! :pedobear:

I'll try & not be such a lurker 'round these parts and actually contribute.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

thats awesome!

been a reader of the wire for a few years. subscribed for a while and got some tapper CDs. never really enjoyed any of them. i was probably into the wire for the cool rather than the music. oooh look at me reading the wire on the tube. actually no but reading the wire descriptiosn of music is often more interestign than listening to the music. kinda like boomkat in that way but with less hype.

anyway i'd kill to get on a tapper cd. without paying how does one do it? be experimental i guess

Congrats Robbie!

and a hearty Hahahaha! @ the Brian/Robbie banter....

500$!?!

Yeah I'm gonna call my label co-op tomorrow and confirm this. We just thought it was strange at the time but I'm not the one in direct contact with Wire so I need to be 100% certain that this was the case.

Just checked the email we were sent, and apparently this is more than true. To be precise, we were offered an invitation to contribute to both this recent Wire Tapper and the previous one, on the condition that IF our track was picked to be included, we'd have an obligation to pay 275 GBP to help cover pressing costs.

Personally, I think that's really lame of Wire and it really turns me off thinking about it. Why make the labels pay THAT much for four minutes on a free CD? Why not just up the retail price of that issue and make the customers buy it? More power to other labels if they can afford spots like that, and in this case Robbie I hope you didn't shell out 275 GBP for your track, but for us, we could press a couple hundred copies of a CD-R instead.

Personally, I think that's really lame of Wire and it really turns me off thinking about it. Why make the labels pay THAT much for four minutes on a free CD? Why not just up the retail price of that issue and make the customers buy it? More power to other labels if they can afford spots like that, and in this case Robbie I hope you didn't shell out 275 GBP for your track, but for us, we could press a couple hundred copies of a CD-R instead.

it is worth considering that wire is a self-owned and independent magazine. a co-operative formed from reviewers (people like derek walmsley and simon reynolds) bought out the publisher a couple of years back. that makes its mode of operation very different from Q or mojo or whatever, who are all owned by very large publishing houses.

tl;dr - i dunno how much money wire makes or how profitable wire is

so it is definitely a bit cheeky but i can understand why they did that at the same time.

it is worth considering that wire is a self-owned and independent magazine. a co-operative formed from reviewers (people like derek walmsley and simon reynolds) bought out the publisher a couple of years back. that makes its mode of operation very different from Q or mojo or whatever, who are all owned by very large publishing houses.

tl;dr - i dunno how much money wire makes or how profitable wire is

so it is definitely a bit cheeky but i can understand why they did that at the same time.

Yeah, I mean, I get it too, being that they probably need to press and package thousands of copies of this CD. I don't know why I'm going on about it here on the forum, and I feel bad posting all this here derailing Robbie's thread. I guess I just feel like it's truly counter-productive for a music magazine attempting to promote independent art and music by charging seemingly oversized amounts of money for some publicity, when said artists and musicians typically don't have that kind of cash.

Archived