IGNORED

That Wikileaks video

Macca

Guest Drahken
Like many others, Lamo applauded the release of the 2007 video showing the helicopter attack in Iraq. But releasing all the diplomatic cables was going too far, he said.

"My plan initially was not to see him arrested. I and the FBI wanted to continue feeding him disinformation," Lamo said. However, the criminal investigation unit of the Army had other plans, he said.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamo's behavior here is pretty abhorrent. A lot of his claims are being too heavily trusted in the news as well as in this forum discussion. There is absolutely no proof Lamo has provided to the media or to anyone proving that these cables harm national security. Embarrassment? Probably. If you are a government apologist and make a case such as the apache attack helicopter video leak violated national security then i'm not speaking to you.

I hope Lamo is happy now for his service to his country. In his audio taped interview with Glenn Greenwald he told him that 'i wouldn't have turned him in unless i knew he would serve a short prison term like 6 months' apparently now Manning is facing up to 52 years in prison. There is nothing so far that has given me any indication Adrian Lamo is a trustworthy or truth telling individual

Zero information has come from Manning or even a lawyer representing him. All of the information we are going on is either from Lamo or government press releases. I feel like it's pretty obvious the government wants to convict this guy in a court of public opinion at the very least,if people generally feel they won't be kept anonymous or safe if THEY leak something to wikileaks, the whole operation is basically blown. . Wikileaks itself LEAKED a document from 2008 from the NSA explaining how they could try to discredit wikileaks by exactly those techniques. I'm not saying Lamo was an informant helping setup Manning for the government (although it is still a possibility), but i believe Manning is being used as a symbolic sacrificial lamb to scare away future potential whistle blowers.

it's not like manning and lamo are fighting the same fight against the big evil gov't.

Yes, and this is precisely why a sound court wouldn't convict Lamo for his association. It's just common sense.

agreed, also why the logic doesn't hold as to why 'Lamo did what he had to do'

Personally I suspect Lamo did this for the publicity. Lamo said he turned Manning in because he was concerned about national security, not because he was concerned about his own ass. Sounds to me like a PR move. He already is reaping the benefits and doing interviews.. Who knows, he may even end up with a book deal like Shimomura and Markoff. I don't really care one way or the other but Lamo's statement about Manning doing his time and going on to an awesome life is a load of shit. Manning won't get a slap on the wrist for being an intelligent hacker, he'll be hung up to dry to scare the shit out of any other enlisted soldier who dares to abuse his security clearance. Manning will be lucky if he ever has anything resembling a normal life after this pans out.

This, except I'd change "did this for the publicity" to "did this just to be 'the guy who turned him in'", maybe not for a book deal or PR, could have been fear mixed with the latent 'desire for approval from authority figures' that seems to easily make some people flip/become rats.

I agree the best course of action for him would have been to inform Manning that he had no interest in participating in any illegal activities, and would have no further communication with him. There, done.

xxx were you planning on asking him about his nightmares? I use that kind of stuff for artwork. I am working on something right now and I haven't posted it in recent artwork thread because it is not finished.

Guest theSun

it's not like manning and lamo are fighting the same fight against the big evil gov't.

Yes, and this is precisely why a sound court wouldn't convict Lamo for his association. It's just common sense.

i guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but consider this. if lamo doesn't turn him in and manning is caught 5 years later, with conversations documented between lamo and manning and manning brings up the wikileaks thing in the conversations, what would they decide to do with lamo?

i guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but consider this. if lamo doesn't turn him in and manning is caught 5 years later, with conversations documented between lamo and manning and manning brings up the wikileaks thing in the conversations, what would they decide to do with lamo?

probably nothing technically, they could make threats to him or scare him which is what i suspect happened honestly.

I just think you are giving too much benefit of the doubt to Lamo. We still haven't heard Manning's side of the story. Nor have we heard much from Julian Assange himself since this happened.

more inconsistencies and half-truths start to show in Lamo's story

http://cryptome.org/0001/wikileaks-time.htm

here is a detailed timeline of the events before and after Lamo reported Manning to the FBI

basically for me the information here that is most important is that Lamo said in the earliest press coverage that he TOLD Manning that he was operating as a journalist and that anything Manning told him was confidential, hmmmm. Later Lamo changed his story and denied all claims of this, that he in no way intended to convince Manning that he was a journalist. So which story is true? I would suspect his earliest iteration is probably the more true one and then realized as people started to figure out he was a liar and ridiculously amoral that he changed the claim to make himself look a little better.

Guest Drahken

That sounds about right, especially since he refuses to release the chat logs to a transparency site like Cryptome. Some argue that he won't publicly disclose the logs because of legal or security reasons, but thats a crock of shit because he happily handed them over to Paulson at Wired so long as Paulson agreed not to publish them without green lighting excerpts through Lamo first.

Honestly I think what it comes down to is Lamo saw this as an opportunity for more press coverage of his own persona, something he needs if he wants to continue running the convention circuit and living the 'good' life of a 'reformed' hacker. The frame work was already there with the story Paulson published about Lamo, and he probably saw this as a opportunity to attach his name to something larger.

Guest theSun

hmmm. well those "Highly edited chat logs" are great to read. i have a feeling now that you're right awepittance, though of course we can't be sure. just the way lamo was short on the logs and asking questions, never saying much. i wonder how highly edited they are...

this interview was conducted before Lamo had a chance to retool/reconfigure/brush up on his side of the story. The interviewer is somewhat aggressive in his approach but i feel his frustration. Lamo reveals the trap he set for Manning by claiming that he was a journalist and that everything was confidential

http://media.salon.com/media/mp3/2010/06/lamoa.mp3

http://media.salon.com/media/mp3/2010/06/lamo1.mp3

the thing i love about this reporter Glenn Greenwald is not only did he put this unedited audio interview on his website but also a 4 page email exchange with Kevin Paulson. Seems as though the only ones who have things to hide are the two people involved in this Wire 'expose'

Wire & Lamo to this day has still only published edited AIM chat transcripts.....

Guest Z_B_Z

yeah this is huge. and theres more coming...

that boingboing piece i linked earlier is dead.. their site probably got overloaded.. the guardian seems to have the best coverage: afghanistan-the-war-logs. it even made cnns front page

Guest Z_B_Z

yeah war is hell etc etc but the act of leaking the documents is a big story in itself

that and its straight up proof of how disingenuous the u.s. is when it comes to publicly reporting on the war

boingboing link works fine for me.

the wikileaks link to the data hosted by wikileaks is toast though....probably getting slammed six ways from sunday.

Interesting that Assange plans to release more data as the situation unfolds. But isn't this like his ace in the hole? If he leaks all this, what's to stop US intel services from "disappearing" him? Unless he actually has pictures of Bush shapeshifting into a lizard.

Also that Pakistan is helping the enemy and still getting an assload of military aid from the US. genius foreign policy planning unfolding in front of our eyes...

Guest Z_B_Z

If he leaks all this, what's to stop US intel services from "disappearing" him? Unless he actually has pictures of Bush shapeshifting into a lizard.

well, at this point hes a pretty public figure.. wouldnt be too hard to figure out what happened if he suddenly goes missing...

what's to stop US intel services from "disappearing" him? Unless he actually has pictures of Bush shapeshifting into a lizard.

just got back from camping haven't had a chance to read what ZBZ posted but this was a serious Lol.

Guest Z_B_Z

lizards aside, the u.s. wants this guy bad. id be extremely curious to see what kind of consequences he would face if he decided to come back to the states..

i respect assange for this, which, i repeat, is possibly the largest intelligence leak in history.

If he leaks all this, what's to stop US intel services from "disappearing" him? Unless he actually has pictures of Bush shapeshifting into a lizard.

well, at this point hes a pretty public figure.. wouldnt be too hard to figure out what happened if he suddenly goes missing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLwWIIqObkg

Archived