IGNORED

belgium bans the burqa

keltoi

66 members have voted

1. 1. what says watmm?

• quite right! let's ban it everywhere now.
    • this is wrong! what about their rights?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure i understand your sentences

i think: let 'em wear what they bloody want if its down to religious beliefs that are centuries old

it's just thick to let in huge amounts of muslims legally and then tell them what they can and cant wear when theyre here

id like, liberty but with a tight immigration policy because i dont like the idea of britain ending up like the horror of india/pakistan when they got divorced

this makes no sense, how would britain end up like india/pakistan?

it doesn't make sense to ban one religious group for wearing certain clothing, and not do the same to the others. its like the banning in Switzerland, makes no sense and its counterproductive.

Guest chunky

what do you disagree with?

* liberty, allowing british subjects to wear what they want

* it was wrong allowing mass immigration of muslims into western countries then after they have settled, making weird authoritarian laws banning their traditional dress

* i would like the burka to not be banned because i believe in liberty

* im worried about the huge amount of muslim immigration because i am concerned that the tragedy and horror that occured during the partition of india could potentially be repeated in britain one day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India

"The newly formed governments were completely unequipped to deal with migrations of such staggering magnitude, and massive violence and slaughter occurred on both sides of the border. Estimates of the number of deaths range around roughly 500,000, with low estimates at 200,000 and high estimates at 1,000,000.[10]

b) how does someone choosing to wear an item of clothing impose on anyone other than themselves? i'm sure you wear whatever the fuck you want every day.

Yes... when we look at burqas the first thought that comes to mind is freedom of choice and personal identity.

b) how does someone choosing to wear an item of clothing impose on anyone other than themselves? i'm sure you wear whatever the fuck you want every day.

Yes... when we look at burqas the first thought that comes to mind is freedom of choice and personal identity.

that gets into a gray area.. it's a religious stipulation, but who's to say their choice of religion isn't, at some level, their choice? especially when living in a non-muslim dominated country. you don't have to wear one if you're not keeping the faith.

Guest chunky

"The verisimilitude in a half arsed collective postmodern thought, sometimes just depresses me."

"Fine writing" - big words to hide lack of knowledge.

"Your a mental."

Ad hominem, attacking me personally because you can't string a coherent sentence together to rebut any of my points.

"Im off to watch snooker."

Fight or flight. Running away because you can't form a cogent argument.

heh :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlkxlzTZc48

although i agree with alot of this, im not sure an all out ban is the right way, but i think in some situations, removal of the burqa is justified. one can't expect getting a job for example (one that requires face to face costumer contact), covering their faces during the job interview, and refusing shaking someones hand because they're not "allowed" to.

anyway, whether it's islam, hinduism, christianity, i have no respect for any of it, so i couldn't care less really. silly folk.

bigs, that isn't entirely true. travel to Malaysia and you'll see that Muslim girls are often bullied if they don't conform to the dress code.

yeah, that's why i justified it as a gray area. it's also certainly the case that many children are forced into a belief by their parents/the establishment. while i'm completely against all religions except, basically, buddhism, i still don't think it's the state's right to get muddled up in religious affairs.

"The verisimilitude in a half arsed collective postmodern thought, sometimes just depresses me."

"Fine writing" - big words to hide lack of knowledge.

"Your a mental."

Ad hominem, attacking me personally because you can't string a coherent sentence together to rebut any of my points.

"Im off to watch snooker."

Fight or flight. Running away because you can't form a cogent argument.

heh :-)

you're doing it wrong. first of all, verisimilitude means appearance of truth. postmodern thought preaches the rejection of all global truths -- the complete adoption of uncertainty and relation as opposed to right or wrong. seems like everyone here is pretty firm in their stance.

edited to reduce dick-itude

Guest margaret thatcher

the old guy in the above post is an idiot.

in my opinion, in my country anyway, it's very un-british for the government to dictate what people can or cannot wear.

i'm sure they have more important matters to attend to.

Guest Dirty Protest

you're doing it wrong. first of all, verisimilitude means appearance of truth. postmodern thought preaches the rejection of all global truths -- the complete adoption of uncertainty and relation as opposed to right or wrong. seems like everyone here is pretty firm in their stance.

edited to reduce dick-itude

Was in relation to internet humour, which is often used in the guise of postmodernism, but often masks true thought or opens the door for people who use it to enter the converstaion. Which is why I used the term half arsed and related to hiden truths, its the get out clause. But im glad I could share this moment with you.

Chunky, I really did want to watch snooker and I really dont want to get into a conversation with someone generalising about people I call friends.

Virgin dont want me watching snooker or posting on this forum. I have a still shot of Ken Docherty vibrating and trying to find a window of connection to reply has lead to a rambling last sentence. Robertson to beat Selby in the final.

this isn't being done for issues of safety or security, if anyone believes that, i have a huge amount of money to give you from a prince in nigeria. all i need is your account authorization, please. people love to come up with lengthy justifications, humans are experts at intellectual dishonesty. the burqa is being banned because a sizeable portion of the population is afraid of muslims and thinks everytime they see a burqa there must be a bunch of bombs strapped around the lady's chest. and that's all there really is to it. it's islamophobia.

a girl here recently got kicked out of school for wearing a burqa. not a sports class, nothing safety related. we want to teach others about tolerance, we're doing a bang-up job demonstrating by example

this isn't being done for issues of safety or security, if anyone believes that, i have a huge amount of money to give you from a prince in nigeria. all i need is your account authorization, please. people love to come up with lengthy justifications, humans are experts at intellectual dishonesty. the burqa is being banned because a sizeable portion of the population is afraid of muslims and thinks everytime they see a burqa there must be a bunch of bombs strapped around the lady's chest. and that's all there really is to it. it's islamophobia.

a girl here recently got kicked out of school for wearing a burqa. not a sports class, nothing safety related. we want to teach others about tolerance, we're doing a bang-up job demonstrating by example

Islam is the new black.

Guest theSun

i can't wait til US politics decides to make this an issue. it will probably decide the '12 election or some such bullshit.

god i fucking hate politics

They should also ban the fucking Cross with that anorexic Jew on it.

how controversial of you

I mean seriously , if this a religion thing , they should also ban everything else , including the cross , that funny hat Jews use and whatever Scientologists have up their arse.

They should also ban the fucking Cross with that anorexic Jew on it.

how controversial of you

I mean seriously , if this a religion thing , they should also ban everything else , including the cross , that funny hat Jews use and whatever Scientologists have up their arse.

thats kind of different though

Archived