IGNORED

belgium bans the burqa

keltoi

66 members have voted

1. 1. what says watmm?

• quite right! let's ban it everywhere now.
    • this is wrong! what about their rights?

Guest chunky

Chunky, me as northern irish person and a friend who is a tamil went for a drink tonight and we managed not to blow fuck out of the bar. Arnt we forward thinking throwbacks.

As far as I can see, you're accusing me of holding a view that I don't even hold then attacking it. I don't think I've even mentioned terrorism in this thread. So please retract your false statement.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest inteeliguntdesign

Not trying to be an arse.. I'm just saying the practice of making someone wear a burqa is degrading. And the notion that someone would choose to wear one depresses me. The thought of such a sexist practice so ingrained in someone's mind makes me sad. Also trying to raise the issue of at what point, if any, does the government have a position to say, for the good of women's dignity (and being respected by others), this sort of practice is counter intuitive.

If someone wants to wear a burqa, they can go ahead. I won't give them a hard time for it, but I will be thinking to myself, I'd never make my girlfriend or wife do that even if I was raised Muslim.

Not having a go, but for another perspective, a sometimes quoted Muslim perspective, here's some creative editing:

I'm just saying the practice of the media encouraging women to show so much skin is degrading. And the notion that someone would choose to display so much depresses me. The thought of such a sexist practice so ingrained in someone's mind makes me sad. Also trying to raise the issue of at what point, if any, does the government have a position to say, for the good of women's dignity (and being respected by others), this sort of practice is counter intuitive.

If someone wants to show so much skin, they can go ahead. I won't give them a hard time for it, but I will be thinking to myself, I'd try to protect my girlfriend or wife from that even if I was raised non-religious.

I am all for world peace and holding hands with everyone, and a big group hug but somethings are left at home. And a burqa is one of them. If you want to live like that best get on a plane and do it somewhere else (back home). Thats my point of veiw and proberbly most of the level headed population of the country too.

Guest green hausen

Burquing mad!

acid_picdump_28.jpg

I don't think it should be banned. Wasn't France going to do this at one point?

Guest Dirty Protest

As far as I can see, you're accusing me of holding a view that I don't even hold then attacking it. I don't think I've even mentioned terrorism in this thread. So please retract your false statement.

So pre-disposition only works when it suits you?

Guest chunky

So pre-disposition only works when it suits you?

what? i honestly dont understand what youre saying.

I am all for world peace and holding hands with everyone, and a big group hug but somethings are left at home. And a burqa is one of them. If you want to live like that best get on a plane and do it somewhere else (back home). Thats my point of veiw and proberbly most of the level headed population of the country too.

Why?

Not trying to be an arse.. I'm just saying the practice of making someone wear a burqa is degrading. And the notion that someone would choose to wear one depresses me. The thought of such a sexist practice so ingrained in someone's mind makes me sad. Also trying to raise the issue of at what point, if any, does the government have a position to say, for the good of women's dignity (and being respected by others), this sort of practice is counter intuitive.

If someone wants to wear a burqa, they can go ahead. I won't give them a hard time for it, but I will be thinking to myself, I'd never make my girlfriend or wife do that even if I was raised Muslim.

Not having a go, but for another perspective, a sometimes quoted Muslim perspective, here's some creative editing:

I'm just saying the practice of the media encouraging women to show so much skin is degrading. And the notion that someone would choose to display so much depresses me. The thought of such a sexist practice so ingrained in someone's mind makes me sad. Also trying to raise the issue of at what point, if any, does the government have a position to say, for the good of women's dignity (and being respected by others), this sort of practice is counter intuitive.

If someone wants to show so much skin, they can go ahead. I won't give them a hard time for it, but I will be thinking to myself, I'd try to protect my girlfriend or wife from that even if I was raised non-religious.

you know, muslims are no better than crazy puritan christians on that front, so why should i be expected to respect their customs of being covered from head to toe like idiots when i can freely criticize the stupidity of fundamentalist christians for wearing chastity belts and ankle-high dresses? they're all stupid religious practices created to make people feel ashamed of their own bodies and i'm fucking tired of them.

they should not be illegal

but in a job or situation where the clothing may affect your ability, it should not be allowed...and that should be determined on a case by case thing, if its in a business, i think businesses have or should have the right to say no to it.

This thread just got a bit tl;dr for me, but I've got to say that I've never felt intimidated by a woman wearing a burka. Wanky chav cunts with their jeans/shite trackies half-way down their arse, a scarf over their mouth** and a doss-looking hat on, yes. Point I'm trying to make is we need a little discretion and consideration for context, rather than a blanket ban on facial concealment.

*Yeah, I'm probably stereotyping chav cunts.

they should not be illegal

but in a job or situation where the clothing may affect your ability, it should not be allowed...and that should be determined on a case by case thing, if its in a business, i think businesses have or should have the right to say no to it.

Yeah if it's a safety issue, of course.

This thread just got a bit tl;dr for me, but I've got to say that I've never felt intimidated by a woman wearing a burka. Wanky chav cunts with their jeans/shite trackies half-way down their arse, a scarf over their mouth** and a doss-looking hat on, yes. Point I'm trying to make is we need a little discretion and consideration for context, rather than a blanket ban on facial concealment.

Come on man. It's the brown people, we need to be scared of the brown people.

:facepalm:

I agree there are situations when it is inappropriate or unsafe. So far none of the situations at least here locally have had anything to do with safety. The best one so far, recently a girl was expelled from a school here by some reactionary locals who declared she could not receive proper English instruction if she wore a burqa, which is of course, absolute nonsense. It's a weak justification, not the real reason. A spade is a spade.. intolerance is bigotry.

There has always been a law here, for some time, that forbids anyone to conceal their face while on the streets. For example, stuff like this:

I don't know if that's entirely accurate, there are certainly situations where it is appropriate for people to cover their faces in public.. they don't haul away street performers in paddywagons for example. I think a lot of people would use the same example of the bank robber's outfit, kind of a poor comparison IMO as I think it can safely be said that the vast majority of muslims who wear burqas are not criminals.

Personally I think a lot of religions are very demeaning to women. But I don't see how forcing people to change is going to help free their minds or something. If anything all a law like this will do is just pour lemon juice on open wounds.. when religious people think they are being directly persecuted, it typically only strengthens their faith

Archived