IGNORED

free portal

o00o

I'm very curious to see what they are going to do for a linux version of Steam. Ports of source-engine games would be utterly amazing. Should be possible since they apparently got the source engine running on OpenGL now. Valve is doing great things to keep PC gaming alive.

i'm imagining similar to what iD did for doom 3 linux - the map files remain the same. doom 3 linux just required you to purchase a pc copy and then you could download the linux engine for free and copy the map files over. i reckon it'll be a sort of similar setup with steam. can't see them open-sourcing jack shit though, lol. so possibly something like only red hat and debian derivatives supported?

I'm hoping it would be a little more seamless. It's rumored (or maybe confirmed?) they'd bring Steam to Linux so that takes care of distribution and installation of the games. Sure, closed-source binaries are largely not distributed through the official repositories. But something like Steam would certainly be added to repositories like Medibuntu or AUR in a matter of hours. And if they're working on getting the source engine working on a wide variety of platforms I'm sure they'd be able to cope with a generic X/ALSA and Nvidia closed-source drivers.

I'm reading some reviews of the OSX port and am very impressed that it is visually equivalent to the DirectX version on Windows.

EDIT: Yeah it is confirmed. This is amazing.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1

until there's an announcement from Valve, i'll take this with a large helping of salt. as far as i'm concerned, until Valve make an announcement, it is certainly not "confirmed"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very curious to see what they are going to do for a linux version of Steam. Ports of source-engine games would be utterly amazing. Should be possible since they apparently got the source engine running on OpenGL now. Valve is doing great things to keep PC gaming alive.

i'm imagining similar to what iD did for doom 3 linux - the map files remain the same. doom 3 linux just required you to purchase a pc copy and then you could download the linux engine for free and copy the map files over. i reckon it'll be a sort of similar setup with steam. can't see them open-sourcing jack shit though, lol. so possibly something like only red hat and debian derivatives supported?

I'm hoping it would be a little more seamless. It's rumored (or maybe confirmed?) they'd bring Steam to Linux so that takes care of distribution and installation of the games. Sure, closed-source binaries are largely not distributed through the official repositories. But something like Steam would certainly be added to repositories like Medibuntu or AUR in a matter of hours. And if they're working on getting the source engine working on a wide variety of platforms I'm sure they'd be able to cope with a generic X/ALSA and Nvidia closed-source drivers.

I'm reading some reviews of the OSX port and am very impressed that it is visually equivalent to the DirectX version on Windows.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1

until there's an announcement from Valve, i'll take this with a large helping of salt. as far as i'm concerned, until Valve make an announcement, it is certainly not "confirmed"

i dunno, listings of script files and libraries are enough for me

i dunno, listings of script files are enough for me

it's still not enough for me - just because there's scripts showing that Valve are playing around with Linux support doesn't mean that it's going to happen. i only need point to the information in the Raising The Bar book to show that a lot of stuff Valve had played around with, didn't make it.

it'd be really cool if it happens, but i'm not gonna hold my breath on it. and i'm not going to take anything less than a statement from Valve as confirmation.

Guest Glass Plate

Finally got a connection, downloading. wooo free portal played it before but not on my own PC! weee.

Finally got a connection, downloading. wooo free portal played it before but not on my own PC! weee.

Same here, I played through portal once when my old roomate rented the orange box. I'm looking forward to having time to fuck off and explore a little bit to see what interesting things I missed on my only run through.

Heh, I don't even know if I can run portal on my late '07 MBP. Such is the state of mac gaming that I no longer remember what discrete nvidia card I have, although I think I maxed everything out (or rather, those things that were sensible to max out via apple.com). This is going to be a slow afternoon until I can get home and open System Profiler.

probably Nvidia 128MB or 256MB card, can't remember which one though. it'd probably run, although i've heard reports of having to dial down graphics options even on the latest portables

Yeah, I've got a GeForce 8600M GT , 256MB. . . so I am downloading now!

Guest disparaissant

i can play portal just fine on my ancient ass single core athlon xp and radeon x850. i think you're probably okay with ANY intel mac.

did you know that you can donate one or all of your internal organs to the aperture science self esteem foundation for girls?

it's true!

i can play portal just fine on my ancient ass single core athlon xp and radeon x850. i think you're probably okay with ANY intel mac.

did you know that you can donate one or all of your internal organs to the aperture science self esteem foundation for girls?

it's true!

according to this it's not all plain sailing, at least not in terms of pushing the settings all the way up.

but yeah, Source is a very scalable engine. so much more so than the DOOM 3 engine (or id Tech 4, or whatever they're calling it now)

Guest disparaissant

i was more saying that looks aren't everything and i'm sure it will run just fine. it's a great game whether it's running at 25000x35135 with 24x aa and quantum texture filtering or at 1024x768 on medium settings.

i was more saying that looks aren't everything and i'm sure it will run just fine. it's a great game whether it's running at 25000x35135 with 24x aa and quantum texture filtering or at 1024x768 on medium settings.

oh yeah there's no doubt about that :)

i'm just as much of a nazi with games as i am with music and film. :trashbear:

Guest bitroast

mac.

downloaded steam, but opening it brings up the updating window, which gets stuck in a never ending loop.

halp!

mac.

downloaded steam, but opening it brings up the updating window, which gets stuck in a never ending loop.

halp!

it's always like that, and steam probably have a nice heavy server load atm, many peoples want freebieses

btw, portal is too easy (and short). I hope Portal 2 will be more of a challenge. i've already played through the whole game, inlucuding 4 of the 6 advanced chambers today. that Portal Prelude addon/map pack was a bit more difficult though.

are there any more good map packs out there?

Guest ruiagnelo

Already got it, so :cerious:

But i heard CS:S is getting achievements and some gay features soon. I hope its not that bad.

Guest Pennywise

this is a strategy to get as many people as possible into to portal, just in time for Portal 2.thems Crafty bastards at Valve. However, i fuckinglove valve.

Guest ruiagnelo

this is a strategy to get as many people as possible into to portal, just in time for Portal 2.thems Crafty bastards at Valve. However, i fuckinglove valve.

Me too, all the games i have on my pc are from Valve. I only need those. Orange Box + Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 and its fine. Have you seen Portal 2 concept art and screenshots? Seems pretty amazing!

Guest Pennywise

oh wow i just looked at the screens after seeing your message.

hope its longer than the first, it looks pretty sick. I have no idea what to expect, especially as some of it will probably be outdoors

Guest ruiagnelo

oh wow i just looked at the screens after seeing your message.

hope its longer than the first, it looks pretty sick. I have no idea what to expect, especially as some of it will probably be outdoors

Yea, i agree, hope its longer. Thats the only think i dislike about the first. The second seems to have more diversity in spaces as well as exterior. But what i am really expecting its the continuation of the story. Valve always bring surprises in the plot.

Guest iamabe

The Indie Games Bundle (Machinarium, World of Goo + 3 others) is a realllllly good deal. world of goo and machinarium are each worth 20 (seriously, both great puzzle games with lots of charm and good art).

Also Torchlight is quite good, if only for being a mindlessly fun diablo clone. Only $10!

also wtf, can't DL portal because the servers are too busy to handle my request. :facepalm:

Archived